mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. What size scalpel??

I would imagine this has been discussed before, but since I can't demo one I need some good feedback. I want to pick up a scalpel but I'm just not sure if I should go with a large or medium. I'm right at about 6 ft, not overly long legs with about a 32 inseam. I currently ride a med. Jekyll and it feels good, maybe just a little bit cramped, but the standover height of the large led me to believe that the med. was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with this choice.

The frame dimensions between the scalpel and jekyll seem quite similar, at least as far as the top tube length and wheel base dimensions are concerned.

Sooo...what're everyone's thoughts on this??

Thanks!!
    Jack

mtbr member
    I ordered a large. I'm 6'2" and with a 33" inseam and the large rush felt OK with a set back post as a tester. I could have gone XL and with a straight post and a shorter stem but the setback post and a flat bar the cockpit seems OK for me and what I need the bike to do. Try the rush on for size, thats what I did before ordering mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good Question

I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam, and my LBS recommended a Large & swap out the stem with a 100mm. The stock bike I think comes with a 120mm stem? The bike I ride now has a 25mm shorter top tube length, but the scalpel has the same seat tube length. I may even change the bar to a low rise XC?
    From the sounds of what I'm reading, should I be looking at a MEDIUM ???
    I know everyone says if you do more Tech single track a med would be better?
    Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Hmmmmm....

I guess the type of riding is always a consideration. I do some single track mixed with logging/two track, probably more of the latter. Obviously demoing different sizes would be best, but not gonna happen as I live in a fairly remote location. Similar sized riders....what is your preference?

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I´m 6 ft, have almost 34 inseam. have a medium and wouldn´t buy a large. the problem with scalpel is that it´s so big diffrent between Medium and large.

did look at what the cannondale team did ride, and how tal they are, and asked one of the rider i know abit, and he is about 6 feat tal and did recomend the Medium, becouse the large was "very very long" as he said.

but i gues it´s mather of taste

mtbr member
    Hey Jack, I'm rockin a Medium Jekyll and I have a Medium '07 Scalpel with a 120mm 5 degree stem and it's perfect! I find the position on scalpel is a little more stretched out than on the Jekyll so that could be perfect for you. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Measure the horiz top tube length on your current bike and then buy the one that is closest to that. Unless of course you don't like the tt length of your current bike. Matching up tt length is way more important than the seat tube length.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    Measure the horiz top tube length on your current bike and then buy the one that is closest to that. Unless of course you don't like the tt length of your current bike. Matching up tt length is way more important than the seat tube length.
    I agree with rumshcawheely...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree with you guys, but the seat tube on the med is 2" shorter. The seat will stick out alot?
    Would swapping out to a 100mm stem to offset the 25mm longer TT work?

LA CHÈVRE
    Swaping stem sizes and seatpost setbacks because a frame is too long or too short is far from ideal, it can shift your weight over the front or back of the bike and put a too big rider on a too short wheelbase or a too tall rider on a too short wheelbase... I would prefer using a longer post on a correctly sized frame...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Totally agree. I brought this concern to my LBS & they still think I should go with the Large & swap the Si stem. I'm curous of what the Std length of the stem that comes with the bike is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    Totally agree. I brought this concern to my LBS & they still think I should go with the Large & swap the Si stem. I'm curous of what the Std length of the stem that comes with the bike is?
    I forgot to mention that if you are like right in the middle between the 2 tt lengths I recommend going with the larger size. It's my experience that the larger of the 2 in this case usually climbs up steep stuff better. I once had this happen on a Turner O2 that I bought and I went with the smaller of the 2 and it loved to wheely on those steep climbs and then it loved to through me over the bars on technical down hills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    I agree with you guys, but the seat tube on the med is 2" shorter. The seat will stick out alot?

what is the problem? as long as the lenth between the seart and handlebar is the right one and you have the right amount av seatpost down in the frame it´s no problem with long seatpost.

look at the team, they al are around 180 cm tal, and al use medium with long seatpost.

small and meadium has the same seat tube, large and extralarge has the same seat tube

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Geez, I thought this thread was dead! Thanks Sam, that sounds like the answer I was looking for. Just one thing, are your stats (height and inseam) close to mine? If they are, do you have a huge amount of seatpost sticking out of your seatube?? I ended up going with a 400mm seatube on my jekyll to get an adequate amount of insertion, but a 350 probably would have been enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackk
    Geez, I thought this thread was dead! Thanks Sam, that sounds like the answer I was looking for. Just one thing, are your stats (height and inseam) close to mine? If they are, do you have a huge amount of seatpost sticking out of your seatube?? I ended up going with a 400mm seatube on my jekyll to get an adequate amount of insertion, but a 350 probably would have been enough.
    I'm around 5'11 with a 32inch inseam exactly. I'm using a Thomson Masterpiece on both bikes 27.2 x 330mm, top of the seat rail down in the '07 Scalpel I have 190mm of exposed seat post and on the '02 Jekyll I have 230mm exposed. That gives me from the center of the saddle rails to the center of the BB 670mm on both bikes (all these measurements are within a couple of mm!) I do run the Jekyll post a bit lower sometime for the techy DH stuff but not that often. I've got a Syntace VRO stem on the Jekyll so I guess it is roughly 130mm long and a 10 degree rise? can't be exact but I'm happy to post pics of both setups if you like, just let me know what you are interested in seeing.
    Just to add, both bikes are running straight posts and the saddles are basically centered. So the only real variable in the positions would be the stems (and still not by much) and whatever the difference in top tube length is, they are both the same claimed length actually 597mm but I think with the different angles the Scalpel is a touch longer (around 20mm in actual seat to bar length), that probably explains the longer stem on my Jekyll which brings my actual position to 10mm shorter stretch on the Jekyll! Hope I'm not too confusing!
    Last edited by sp3000; 09-27-2007 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hmmm, I'm within about 3 mm on the seatrail to bb center measurement, but for some reason I have about 10mm more exposed seatpost. I use a 120mm stem with 10° rise. So I guess we are pretty close with our setup on our jekylls. That is good to know, I think the med. scalpel is looking more like the way to go. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I can double check the seat post height for you if you like, I did a very quick measurement and like I said, I rounded it off to the closest round number just to give an idea. But yes sounds like the medium is the way to go. Now the only question I forgot to ask is are you getting an '07 or '08?? not sure if you already mentioned this! Because not that this is a massive consideration but the medium in the '07 looks way better than the large due to the part of the top tube that meets the seat tube being horizontal, better cable routing and built in seat clamp on the Med. of course lighter too