Thread: what size rush

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

what size rush

I am 5 9" 5 10" I have a 32-33 inseam. I have heard the Rush runs on the smaller size.

mtbr member
    I am the same size as you and I run a large Rush. Great bike by the way.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    I went through the same problems, trying to choose a size to fit. I'm also 5'9 with a 32" inseam.
    The catalogue shows the carbon rush alot smaller than the Aluminium versions, as a warning, I sized the carbon bikes at the LBS both large and medium in the carbon and they don't measure (used a tape measure and level to measure horz top tube) as indicated. I'm not sure and neither were the LBS where C'dale have taken the measurements but the carbon version is very close to the aluminium version.

Anyway I measure up for the Medium and a large would be too stretched out. As I was advised in this foruim, go and sit on one before commiting to a size. Good luck, I'm picking up my Carbon Rush 2 today.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am also 5'9-5'10 and I have a Medium carbon rush....it fits me very well...any bigger and I would be stretched out too far. I would definately reccomend you demo both sizes...or just demo the medium and see how it feels. Having a bike that it too big can lead to injuries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 5'9" with ~30 inch inseam and I have always ridden a med...I have med Aluminum Rush. Large c-dales have always stretched me out too far.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to order my Carbon Rush 2 in the next few days to insure delivery for a spring trip. Thanks to you guys I'm less unsure about sizing. I'm going to order the Med. as I'm 5'9"-5'10" 29" inseam. Thanks, I can't wait for spring!

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    I got my Med carbon rush 2 yesterday, XTR wheels, brakes and Fox lefty. Looks great, put some 3M protection on last night.
    FYI, the stem on the Med rush is a 100mm. Took it for a short ride today before work and it felt sweet, but still need to dial it in. The Fox fork has heaps of adjustment and you can get it exactly as you want to suit your riding.
    The LBS has the seat back slightly on the rails and I generally like to be forward to weight the front tyre so I'm thinking I may change the stem to a 110mm or 120mm.

The Med size feels just right, so you can ,ove your weight slightly forward or backward as the terain dictates.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed. By the way I've come of a Titus R100X that everyone raves about and IMO the Rush suits me better and I beleive is faster overall. I do race so the bike will be used as my all round bike as I only have one bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok- last Cannondale I bought, is the bike I'm still riding - it's a Large, 1998 F2000. Per the 1998 manual the frame's Horiz TT was 23.3" , with a 71deg Headtube, and 73.5deg seatube angle. wheelbase was 42.3" My 1995 20" Beast of the East were very similar measurements. Both bikes fit my 6' .75" body pretty well.

Looking at the Rush 4/5/6 and current Hardtail lineup F1/F2/F3 - both look like the medium frames are closer to what my older larges measured in at. Somewhere along the last 10 years did Cannondale shift all of their sizes down one notch? I'd be interested in picking up a Rush frame to transfer my current running gear onto, but I need to know what size to be looking for on ebay or whatnot- might even get the LBS to give me a decent deal on a new frameset. LBS will never have one in stock for me to demo first though - so that option is out.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, sizing changed over the years so a 1998 large is about the size of a recent medium. Would your LBS have a complete Rush just to try the size, even if you don't buy that one?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks Dave, I'm looking forward to this new ride. My first Cannondale! Should be a bit of a change from my '05 Moots Ybb. Great bike, but looking for a bit more travel these days.

Was thinking of going Scalpel 1, but considering the recalls and higher price point for same build kit as Rush 2 I can't comit. Any chance you know if you can run non UST tires on those XTR UST rims? I ran Stans on my moots and would love to shave another half pound from the Rush running standard tires. Anyway, enjoy your ride!

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Just watch the catalouge figures, I was working off them and they don't match the typical hoz top tube measurements of mid seat tube to mid head tube measurement. I actually checked the hoz top tube on a large and medium frame at my LBS and it didn't agree with the '08 catalouge figures measured in the typical method.
    Basically my SM Titus frame has a hoz top tube of 22.7", Rush carbon MED 22.1", Rush carbon LGE 23.4 as per the '08 catalouge. The actual hoz top tube measured parallel with the top of the head tube, mid point of the seat tube and head tube, measured approx 23.2" on the Med carbon Rush (actual measurement I took with tape measure in LBS, which disagreed with catalouge).
    While the '08 catalouge shows the carbon Rush being smaller than the Aluminium Rush for the same frame size (eg Med vs Med & Lge vs Lge) I don't think they are measured from the same points of reference. In fact I think they are pretty much the same between the carbon and aluminium. All being said you could probilbily work off the aluminium sizes.
    After all that and probibly totally confused as I was, I'd strongly suggest checking one out in the flesh before committing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

tires on XTR wheels...

Yea man, run those standard tires, I've got a regular WTB Mutano raptor on my rear with Stan's and its just great!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks atrack24! That's just what I wanted to hear. I've never used UST rims but I guess as long as you have the Stan's sealant in there the bead will set/seal. Since I ride a lot of thorns I need the sealant anyway!