Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    54

    What size for prophet?

    Hi I am thinking of buying a prophet 2000 but not sure what size I am 5 foot 7 ?

  2. #2
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanmol
    Hi I am thinking of buying a prophet 2000 but not sure what size I am 5 foot 7 ?
    Lots of sizing questions around here these days... Does nobody go to their LBS anymore?

    I'd say you are a small but there are way too many variables (body proportions, personal tastes and riding style, intended use of the bike...) and you should go try them at the shop.

    By the way, wonderful bike!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  3. #3
    jcw
    jcw is offline
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Reputation: jcw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    506
    I agree with Dan on all counts (btw Dan haven't you heard, LBS' are obsolete, everybody just buys their bikes on e-bay these days). Prophets have high standover and a fairly generous cockpit. One of my employees and I were moving some bikes around in the shop the other day and a small Prophet would up right next to an XL F300, and the Prophet was suprisingly close (in top tube height anyway) in size. Make sure you at least compare effective tt length and standover to your current ride. 5' 7" puts you in "tweener" territory in my book (between small and medium that is).

    Quote Originally Posted by stephanmol
    Hi I am thinking of buying a prophet 2000 but not sure what size I am 5 foot 7 ?
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

  4. #4
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Lots of sizing questions around here these days... Does nobody go to their LBS anymore?

    I'd say you are a small but there are way too many variables (body proportions, personal tastes and riding style, intended use of the bike...) and you should go try them at the shop.

    By the way, wonderful bike!
    Dan I think you are spoilt by an LBS that receives preferential treatment from Cannondale. :P

    Anyway I'm between 5' 9" and 5' 10" and I rode a large Prophet 1000 yesterday (in lieu of a Rush being available yet). I was surprised to find the cock pit comfortable, as I had ball parked myself as a Medium. Now I'm a little concerned about a medium being too cramped. When the Rush's do arrive at my LBS, I'll spend most of my time deciding between sizes, rather than anything else. I think the slack head angle and high crown of the larger Prophets more closely mimic the geometry of my medium (17.5") hard tail.

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Dan I think you are spoilt by an LBS that receives preferential treatment from Cannondale. :P
    Maybe I am!
    But I still feel that if someone can't figure out the size needed (experienced people can pretty much know by looking at the geometry charts), asking people who have never seen him/her over a forum is not the best way to figure it out and that a visit to a LBS to at least sit on the different size bikes is a much better way to know what size is needed. If NS2000X is 5'9" - 5'10" and likes a large, I'm about the same height and prefer a medium, it doesn't mean one of us is riding a wrong sized bike so there are no right answer just by giving us your height...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Dan I think you are spoilt by an LBS that receives preferential treatment from Cannondale. :P

    Anyway I'm between 5' 9" and 5' 10" and I rode a large Prophet 1000 yesterday (in lieu of a Rush being available yet). I was surprised to find the cock pit comfortable, as I had ball parked myself as a Medium. Now I'm a little concerned about a medium being too cramped. When the Rush's do arrive at my LBS, I'll spend most of my time deciding between sizes, rather than anything else. I think the slack head angle and high crown of the larger Prophets more closely mimic the geometry of my medium (17.5") hard tail.
    I'm 5' 10" and rode a Prophet and Rush both in medium and large sizes. Their was absolutely no question in my case that a medium was too small and a large felt perfect for the Prophet. The Rush large still felt rather "cramped" in the cockpit but I think that was just because the Rush has a more racer-oriented rider position than the Prophet.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,618

    6' riding a medium Prophet

    Being somewhat of a freerider I like a smaller frame that I can control in the air.
    The medium is a nice fit (similar to my Med Gemini).
    I had to put a taller and shorter stem on the bike because the stock is WAY too long for any kind of technical riding (especially where you have to get your weight back).

    If you are 5' 7"...go with a medium. Not the Large.





    Quote Originally Posted by sfprophet
    I'm 5' 10" and rode a Prophet and Rush both in medium and large sizes. Their was absolutely no question in my case that a medium was too small and a large felt perfect for the Prophet. The Rush large still felt rather "cramped" in the cockpit but I think that was just because the Rush has a more racer-oriented rider position than the Prophet.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB

    If you are 5' 7"...go with a medium. Not the Large.

    Exactly

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Idlefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanmol
    Hi I am thinking of buying a prophet 2000 but not sure what size I am 5 foot 7 ?
    I am 5'10" and ride a large Prophet. I found the medium much too small. I was suprised as all my previous mountain bikes (Trek, Giant & Marin) have all been medium.

    You really need to try them if possible.

    Andrew

  10. #10
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    Exactly
    I think from the start suggestions were for the OP between the small and medium, not the medium and large.

    The conversation expanded with some riders like myself finding themselves comfortable on a frame larger than they expected. Now with a 6' rider posting the oposite, it is fair to say, as Dan suggest - there is no hard and fast rule.

    Each perspective owner should do there best to try the bike themselves.

  11. #11
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    it is fair to say, as Dan suggest - there is no hard and fast rule.
    When will you guys learn? I'm always right!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    37
    How tall do you think someone should be before they think about an XL Prophet?

  13. #13
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Marclan
    How tall do you think someone should be before they think about an XL Prophet?
    You need the XL when you feel the Large is too small.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    37
    My LBS does not stock a lot of bikes so I am wondering what size I should tell them to order for me. I am about 6' and I don't know if an XL Prophet is too big. What do you think?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,618

    6ft + XL = WAY too big (in my opinion)

    as stated earlier...I ride a medium and am 6'.
    I would have chosen the Large if I was going to focus more on XC...but I could'nt imagine needing the XL at my size.

    There should be a fit guide on the C-dale website that will most likely show you in the Large category.

    Also...ask your LBS if the C-dale rep can get a demo in.
    My shop got the 4000(?) model for me in medium, as well as a Large.

    Took it on my favorite trails and thrashed it. Decided on the medium without hesitation.

    Good luck!




    Quote Originally Posted by Marclan
    My LBS does not stock a lot of bikes so I am wondering what size I should tell them to order for me. I am about 6' and I don't know if an XL Prophet is too big. What do you think?

  16. #16
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    as stated earlier...I ride a medium and am 6'.
    I would have chosen the Large if I was going to focus more on XC...but I could'nt imagine needing the XL at my size.

    There should be a fit guide on the C-dale website that will most likely show you in the Large category.

    Also...ask your LBS if the C-dale rep can get a demo in.
    My shop got the 4000(?) model for me in medium, as well as a Large.

    Took it on my favorite trails and thrashed it. Decided on the medium without hesitation.

    Good luck!
    Nice service.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    51

    med.

    i'm 5'5" (barely) and i got a medium, however i had to order a 10mm shorter stem.

  18. #18
    Epic XC rider
    Reputation: robbooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14

    Is height the only factor?

    Interesting thread! IMHO height does not have a hellava lot to do with the frame size. My buddy and I are the same height at 6'4" but our bodies are seriously different. We both had XL frames, I am very comfortable, he is not and gets lower back pain.

    Why?? Our inseams are VERY different, our arm lenghts are different but critically in this case, our backs are different. I have a 97cm inseam, he is 91cm. I ride a saddle height of 85-86cm, he rides 79-80cm so I need a taller seatpost than standard, he has plenty to spare on his.

    My arms are longer than his but his back is longer than mine so he needs a far shorter cockpit while it is perfect for me.

    The reason is the horizontal TT length. On the Prophet in XL it is 65cm, the large is 62.5cm. That extra inch stretches him too far. The geometry provided by Cannondale for each model tells an interesting story.

    The result? He has had to get a L frame while I am happy on the XL although we are both the same height.

    Height is not the sole measure, getting on the bike and feeling it is more critical. Something we both failed to do as our bikes were special order but I was lucky, he was not.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •