mtbr member
    Mar 2015

What shock pressure are you running on 16 Scalpel?

What pressure and how much sag are folks using on monarch shock on their Scalpel?
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Mine mirrors my weight, maybe a tick above. 180ish PSI for 180 lbs. Sag is 15-20%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks. I weigh 165 and running it at 140 psi and it feels very stiff. I ride it at 30% sag. I've been messing around with pressures from 125 -150 psi. Making sure I bounce around on the bike to balance + and - chambers and still doesn't feel right. Got new wheels and bike hasn't felt right since. Shop wa supposed to service the shock. I got carbon wheels, and I know they changed the ride, but they haven't changed other bikes this much. Trying to find out if it's the wheels or shock.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My stock advice is to bleed the lockout before trying to tune anything. It's a silly design; the hydraulics have to be engaged for the shock to work at all, so if there's any air in the line, you get all kinds of weirdness. If the shop didn't open the thing, it'd be pretty early in the lifespan for something inside to have failed.

Carbon wheels should have you running slightly less air pressure and a bit more sag. Less weight to move means less inertia and a lower spring rate. You'll want to back off the rebound damping a click or two at the same time. Maxima SC1 on the stanchion will help with small bump sensitivity.

For me, the bigger challenge is getting enough rebound damping. I'm usually either maxed out or one click below to keep the bike from pogoing after deep compressions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    My stock advice is to bleed the lockout before trying to tune anything. It's a silly design; the hydraulics have to be engaged for the shock to work at all, so if there's any air in the line, you get all kinds of weirdness. If the shop didn't open the thing, it'd be pretty early in the lifespan for something inside to have failed.

Carbon wheels should have you running slightly less air pressure and a bit more sag. Less weight to move means less inertia and a lower spring rate. You'll want to back off the rebound damping a click or two at the same time. Maxima SC1 on the stanchion will help with small bump sensitivity.

For me, the bigger challenge is getting enough rebound damping. I'm usually either maxed out or one click below to keep the bike from pogoing after deep compressions.

Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I agree with alexdi, more than likely a bleed will take care of it. I run 145-155 psi depending on the trail. I'm 160lbs.