Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007

At What PSI Do You Run Your Lefty SL?

I only ask because the booklet say to run it at 145ish for me at 78kg (175lb). I went for my fist ride on it and it felt soooo soft. I thought there was something wrong so I checked what the max PSI is to find it was 225psi. I've now increased the pressure to 175ish PSI and it feels much better only there is minimal sag now (5% maybe)

PS. I race XC and like a reasonable hard fork.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

narCOTIC
    I'm approx 200lbs, and run my Carbon DLR2 at about 200psi. It feels just right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I weight about 180 without gear and I am now running it at about 165 and I find myself adding 10lbs here and there to increase it. Started at 145ish, then 155 now 165. Any route with a decent downhill stretch that has some good bumps would cause me to want more stiffness as the front end would dive.

I may go up to 175 eventually.

mad aussie
    At under 140lb I always run around 105psi, I measure the sag by zip tying a tape measure to the bottom and sitting on the bike. I shoot for around 15mm of sag which seems to work well, or the front end just beats me up.

Kevin

unemployed team mechanic
    May 2008
    130 ish - 180 pounds

mtbr member
    163# and run it at about 110-115

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Are you sure you have the SL manual? I ask cause mine reccomends 125psi for a 180lbs rider (I have the manual in front of me by the way). Thats my weight I run 130psi on my SL and it feels perfect.

Do you have the reccomended spring for your weight?

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    If I ran it at 125PSI I could bottom the fork out by leaning on it slowly, not even pumping it.
    The Topout spring is blue. According the Cannondale website tech documents I'm right in the middle of Blue and Red springs. I'll get the red spring, but wanted to give the Blue a go first.

I've only had 1 ride on it still so I'm still sorting it. Will go again today. The for does feel very stiff right now standing on the bike in the hallway!
    Last edited by legsrburnin; 07-23-2008 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So, what does the spring do for the performance of the fork and how would it feel with springs rated for heavier body weights?
    At 165-175lbs should I be using a softer spring? I am currently using 'red'. I originally ran 110-115psi but it felt to harsh on smaller bumps. I now use 100 psi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by legsrburnin
    If I ran it at 125PSI I could bottom the fork out by leaning on it slowly, not even pumping it.
    The Topout spring is blue. According the Cannondale website tech documents I'm right in the middle of Blue and Red springs. I'll get the red spring, but wanted to give the Blue a go first.

I've only had 1 ride on it still so I'm still sorting it. Will go again today. The for does feel very stiff right now standing on the bike in the hallway!
    Can you get a different shock pump? You could be getting a false reading. I can't bottom my fork at 125-130psi on 2ft jumps, I'm right between Blue & Red springs, I run a Blue in my fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just remember this, I have a Buzzy pollinator pump. If I try to set the pressure with the bike in its normal standing position for some reason the pump isn't tight enough in the valve and I get a false reading and need to pump over 170psi so it feels ok.

Turn your bike up side down and install the pump tight. By tight I don't mean using brute force, just firm enough and see how it goes. This is how I made it work to 125-130psi.