mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What are the pros and cons of having a Fatty Fork

I have an 07 C'dale f4 that came with a HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL, 80 mm fork. Every other bike I see on the trails has the type of front suspension with two springs (not sure what its called) on the front. What are the pros and cons of each, and which is more desired?

mtbr member
    Fatty shock

Pros:

Light, smooth, lockout

Cons:

Relatively high maintenance, requires service once a year or so.
    Proprietary headset size

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    The Fatties are also really, really stiff (this is a good thing).

(The "proprietary headset size" above is not relevant as the OP has a Cannondale frame that takes the Headshok.)

LA CHÈVRE
    It has more pros than cons IMO, or should I say the pros far outweigh the cons. Stiffer, lighter, smooth, lockouts, durable and looks much better since they color match them to the frame. Regular forks should be serviced every year or so too.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Huge Tracts of Land
    The only con I know of with Fatty is you are limited in terms of travel you can have without upsetting the geometry. I wouldn't go for another brand largely as C'Dale builds their bikes around their own forks which for me is a major pro.

I think this is one reason they starting going with Lefty, to gain more travel.

I don't believe the Fatty or the Lefty for the matter are high maintenance, If you are getting them serviced more than annually (and this is usually a check-up) I would say your mechanic isn't fully confident using them.

The pairing of either a Fatty and a Dale or a Lefty and a Dale is one of the many reasons I continue to purchase them

I have had Cannondales since 1992, Fattys since 1996, Leftys since 2004 --> have never found fault with any of them, but I may just be lucky

mtbr member

Don't get me wrong...

I loved the fatty on my 2005 F400, but in the year and a half I owned it, I had two oil leaks which resulted in loss of rebound and lockout..total bill was $100 or so. It was still a great fork in terms of performance.

The Lefty max140 tpc that is on my prophet now is a different story. This is by far the best fork I have ever owned, Performance being reason #1, and a close 2nd would be serviceability. I have been able to do all maintenance and modifications myself, a BIG plus in my opinion

Music & Bikes
    I have two bikes with Fattys , for me the biggest advantages are stiffness and smoothness.
    They are also amongst the lighest 80mm forks.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ