Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What might be the problems in ordering from USA to Europe?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cwrender 
#1 ·
Hey!

My friend asked me if he would face problems at the customs (or such) if his new Cannondale is sent from USA to Germany.

I have my bikes carried by my friends while their visits to Istanbul, so I did not have any problems therefore I could not help him with his question.

We would gratefully appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Will he be shipping it or will he be flying with the bike? I just recently made a move from the US to Germany (Dusseldorf Airport), with a total of 800 pounds of luggage, including two complete bikes and one frame, fork, and wheel in a suitcase.
The seller will ship the bike to Muenster.
Unfortunately, my friend's not so lucky as I was.
He is in Istanbul at the moment and he will be back in Germany in 2 weeks. I tell him to find a friend of his in the US which would do a favor bringing the frame to Germany sometime in the future but he is desperate.
He will have the frame shipped to his address, I think.

#4 ·
Everything shipped will go through Frankfurt. I shipped small boxes, more than a half dozen, and only one was inspected and scrutinized over.

I would think the box will likely be inspected, but to cover himself, he has to fill out the proper customs forms from Turkey, and declare it clearly. I won't say he should declare it as used and make it look as such, but one thing that did work in our favor was making the shipper the same as the recipient, and inside is a letter signed saying that we were shipping personal items (declared on the outside as well) with the US address proof and Germany address proof.

They also require that customs be paid if it's less than six months old.

#6 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I would think the box will likely be inspected, but to cover himself, he has to fill out the proper customs forms from Turkey, and declare it clearly.
They also require that customs be paid if it's less than six months old.
Hey Jerk_Chicken, the frame will be sent from USA not from Turkey. I think what you suggest applies for from USA, too. Thanks. (And the frame is 2006).

beavola said:
has he actually bought the bike already from a dealer, or is he trying to buy an American Cannondale from Europe?
Hey Beavola, he has bought the frame from eBay. So, yes, he bought an American Cannondale from Turkey and he wants it to be sent to his home, Germany.

#7 ·
I am sure that all things being bought in the US and being shipped to Europe will be taxed. This is regardless if the item is used or new.

The item should always be so cheap that you can live with this extra tax.

I have had items shipped to me and they are almost always opened for customs control

#8 ·
Hansson said:
I am sure that all things being bought in the US and being shipped to Europe will be taxed. This is regardless if the item is used or new.

The item should always be so cheap that you can live with this extra tax.

I have had items shipped to me and they are almost always opened for customs control
Where exactly are you?

#11 ·
Seller might have to fille out a form to ship the package. This includes setting the value of the package. You might get seller to quote a low price. Just be aware if this is also the value that is the insured value.

It would be a petty if a complete bike or frame was set at a price 50 USD and then went missing.

#12 ·
hi,
I am from germany too. I have imported several frames from the USA so I have a little experience with the customs.
You will have to pay 19% "Umsatzsteuer" and 4,5% "Einfuhrzoll" for bicycle frames for the complete price paid. I dont recomend declaring a wrong value as the customs offices in germany will check the real value through google and wont accept your value. If bought via ebay they accept a print of the auction. he will have to state that its for private purpouse so he will not have to pay custom taxes for the freight. I hope my answer was not too late for your friend.

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.