mtbr member

What does "OPI" mean in the Lefty description?

And more specifically, is there any difference in the internals between the 2011 alloy and carbon 29er Lefty? Looking at the Flash 29er 2 vs. 3; the alloy is listed as "Lefty 29er w/ PBR" while the carbon is listed as "Lefty 29er carbon PBR, 90mm, OPI, Solo Air". Is there actually a difference in adjustability or function between these two?

As an aside, I checked out the new one-piece alloy Lefty at my LBS yesterday. It's a sweet-looking piece of kit. All-one-piece aluminum, cool little channels machined into the outside. And it's within a couple grams of the Carbon anyway....

LA CHÈVRE
    OPI means One Piece Integration or something along those lines, it refers to parts that are made from a single piece of alloy. Some Lefty have a OPI spindle (wheel axle and lower part of the Lefty), some have the OPI uppers (the sweet looking one-piece you are refering to)... A Carbon Lefty PBR has the same internals than an alloy Lefty PBR, OPI only refers to the construction. PBR refers to the internals.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification. Just 'cause I'm a little slow, is it correct that the only diff. between the alloy and carbon Leftys on the Flash 2 and 3 is the material used for the external part of the upper? Same lower, same internals, same dampers etc.? And they just didn't bother to write "OPI SoloAir" in the description of the Alloy?

Thanks again.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, only the upper outer part is different (one piece alloy with integrated clamps vs. a carbon tube with bonded clamps). Same damper, same internals, same travel, both have SoloAir, same adjustments and controls and they both have the OPI lower part. They also both perform amazingly, the carbon is a tad lighter, the alloy looks a bit better IMO.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    "Tad lighter" is right; according to the 2011 catalog it's like 30g difference between the two! And I'd bet that the one-piece aluminum version is stronger and stiffer (though I have no basis for that). I agree that it's cooler looking!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Strange that some of the 2010 Speed DLRs have OPI and others have the SI Spindle and Innertube lowers. Speed Carbon SL and Speed (alloy) have the OPI, while the Speed Carbon has the SL. Why is this? Something to do with rigidity?

Descriptions:

The SL Spindle has additional internal machining which
    when mated with the alloy innertube creates a super
    strong hollow structure reducing weight while maintaining
    torsional rigidity.

OPI Spindle. New 3D forging process allows us to integrate two
    separate pieces into one unit…saving weight without
    sacrificing performance.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    in the 2010 only hi-end forks had OPI legs, second forks from the top of the line had SL legs