Nor­wegr

Cool-blue Rhythm What do you think a..

What do you think a new in box Flash Ultimate 2011 is worth today?

I found one being sold by a semi-local store and was wondering what I should offer on it. There was a price listed, but I won't reveal it until I've seen a couple of thoughts on the matter to avoid clouding your judgement

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If it is in the box, the same now as it cost then. Easy as that.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: What do you think a..

I would say 20% off the retail price in 2011, 25-30% off if you're lucky. It's an old model after all, even if the parts are comparably better than the 2013 model.

LA CH╚VRE
    Depending how you look at it, the wheel size can change in one way or the other:

1. High end 26" bikes are pretty hard to find nowadays, hard to find products often equals a higher value, or not as big a discount as expected...

2. Not many people want 26" bikes nowadays, which should lower the value of the bike and a bigger discount...

So I guess that evens out, forget about my post then!

Seriously, either way, the longer they keep it, the harder it will get to sell it, you can never sell a bike full price after it's model year has passed. Many shops will lower prices at the end of their current year to make sure they're not stuck with too much old bikes. My first 'good' bike years ago was new in it's box but two years old too and I paid close to 50% off MSRP... but I may have been lucky. It also depends of the size of the shop, bigger shops with bigger sale volumes often have a bigger margin to play with.

Thoughts: 27.5" wheels fit without any modification, perhaps not providing a true, optimized for 27.5' geometry though but some people have made that move with a big smile. But if you're not super tall, forget the trends and market fashions, 26" still is the best choice if you need a size small IMO. If I had a small volume bike company, I would only make smalls with 26" wheels, mediums with 27.5" and larges with 29" wheels....

Also worth noting, the hybrid bearing Lefty are more than a small update, if you're like me and like to have the latest and bestest, I wouldn't want to get a new bike with an old Lefty at this point. But that's just me.

I guess I'm not helping with pricing though right? I'm not very knowledgable about that.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Happy Trails

What do you think a..

Dealers normally sell current year models for 0-10 percent off full catalog MSRP, and with 2014 models coming out, there are some 10-20 percent discount deals out there, if you can find your size. So... even if you can get 30 percent off retail, you are still within 10-15 percent off the fair price for a "new" new bike. Especially with the availability of the white/red/blue F-29 dash-1 .... With XTR, XO and Reynolds carbon wheels on the 2013 model, this would makes 30 percent off a 2011 a borderline deal, IMO. And the new fork is better. For me, 25 percent would be "can't say yes" and 40 percent "can't say no". In between, well.... It depends.

Nor­wegr
    It's currently listed at $4916 which includes the 25% vat/tax we have here, after an email to the seller I was told there was some room to negotiate on that price.

I'm 5'7 so a 26" medium fits me just fine and incase I feel like it my scalpel can do 27'5. As can the '11 flash based on Dans post above. 29" is much too large for me, haven't tried one that felt right so far.

One of my main motivations to buy this is to have atleast one bike with Cannondale warranty. That's something I lack with my scalpel. Buying a current ultimate model isn't within my reach and quite frankly I don't think it's worth it with prices being slashed in a year or two. The above price though is within reason [for me].

Will definitely have to ponder further on this.

Thank you all for posting

Happy Trails

What do you think a..

FWIW, I really enjoy having a Scalpel and a Flash F-29 to ride. Every time I ride one of the bikes, I think it's better than the other. If I could only own one, it would be the Scalpel (no question), but if you ride a lot of cross-county, and can swing it, don't hesitate. You will have one heck of a buddy-bike.

mtbr member
    Vegard, to be quite honest I think the whole wheel size thing is a fad. It's just a way of making people (like me) believe that their bikes are now redundant and to get them to buy new ones. A 29er might be a bit faster, but unless you're racing at Elite level it's a marginal gain and not worth the extra money if you ask me. The wheel size debate is another story though.

The 2011 Flash Ultimate is a thing of beauty and well worth the money. The more you can knock him down the better. It comes standard with the DT Swiss XCR 1.2s which I currently have on my bike, they're amazing. The only bad component on the whole bike is the XX brakes! The only thing to look out for is that some 2011 Ultimate frames had a manufacturing defect. The bottom bracket shells were not correctly bonded to the frame and would make a horrible creaking noise where the bb shell is literally coming away from the frame. Cannondale will warranty it but it's something to take into account. Just put a load of weight on the pedals before you buy it and listen out for it.

If you don't like the look of the frame, I'd gladly swap my 2012 frame and fork for a 2011 one.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    FWIW, I really enjoy having a Scalpel and a Flash F-29 to ride. Every time I ride one of the bikes, I think it's better than the other. If I could only own one, it would be the Scalpel (no question), but if you ride a lot of cross-county, and can swing it, don't hesitate. You will have one heck of a buddy-bike.
    Both of mine would be 26", I ride alot of everything on my scalpel. I figure I only live once so I go full mountaineer on the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Vegard, to be quite honest I think the whole wheel size thing is a fad. It's just a way of making people (like me) believe that their bikes are now redundant and to get them to buy new ones. A 29er might be a bit faster, but unless you're racing at Elite level it's a marginal gain and not worth the extra money if you ask me. The wheel size debate is another story though.

The 2011 Flash Ultimate is a thing of beauty and well worth the money. The more you can knock him down the better. It comes standard with the DT Swiss XCR 1.2s which I currently have on my bike, they're amazing. The only bad component on the whole bike is the XX brakes! The only thing to look out for is that some 2011 Ultimate frames had a manufacturing defect. The bottom bracket shells were not correctly bonded to the frame and would make a horrible creaking noise where the bb shell is literally coming away from the frame. Cannondale will warranty it but it's something to take into account. Just put a load of weight on the pedals before you buy it and listen out for it.

If you don't like the look of the frame, I'd gladly swap my 2012 frame and fork for a 2011 one.
    I'm still on the fence about buying it seeing as it would be a very similar bike to my Scalpel. The seller contacted me and said the best he could do was $4585. Weight was 8kg which is amazing.

Seeing as I'd buy this in Norway I'd be very well protected by consumer law, if it broke and Cdale didn't want to deal with it; the store would still be bound by law to make things right if the damage occurred within 3 years of purchase.