Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

What do you guys think of this hole in my new bikes weld pics included

Its a brand new 2011 Quick CX 3. Love it but looks like this was missed during qulity control. its on the inside of the left seat stay.

I've done some reaearch and I believe its called a "wormhole" in welding terminology.

not sure what to do. I did accept it this way from LBS but I am concerned it could be a weak point or stress point and be a safety issue.

(the bike)

let me know what you guys think.

No good in rock gardens..
    I'd be taking that right back to the shop for a warranty replacement.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    I'd be taking that right back to the shop for a warranty replacement.
    I might mean you are out of a bike for a couple weeks, but I would warranty it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    really warranty it why? can you guys explain I am a beginer.

Can't stop the Prophet
    If it is new and under warranty take it back and get a replacement. Just because you "accepted it that way" doesn't mean that you are at fault or that you have to keep it. The hole may be there for years without any problems and then again it might not. It would really suck if lets say that weld fails right after the warranty period is up. Then my friend you will be $h!t out of luck.

Why would you even be thinking of keeping it being that it has a manufacturing defect???

Having painted a couple of my own novice welding projects maybe they thought the paint would cover it up.

Can't stop the Prophet
    By the way is it just me being paranoid or do the welds on the new Cannondales look uneven and not as uniform as the HMUSA welds?

I do not want to start the whole discussion again with this post! Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Take it back, if you have a hole in a weld like that it becomes a weak point in that joint and is more likely to fail there. Warranty should cover that one no problems, shiney new(er) dale on its way to you.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
    I don't think it's so much the effect of the tiny hole as it is what caused the tiny hole to be there. It could be a sign that other parts of the weld are weak. Good welds shoud not have holes in them.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post
    By the way is it just me being paranoid or do the welds on the new Cannondales look uneven and not as uniform as the HMUSA welds?

Very good point and you have asharp eye. about the welds this is actually my second bike of teh same make and model year the first one was replaced last month because I took pictures of the "cannondale's smooth welds" and emailed it to Cannondale/ Dorel they were so lumpy and bumpy they exchanged the bike. Now this one, the welds are better smoother but it has this "wormhole in welders lingo. which can be an issue. I accepted it this way because I thought it was cosmetic but it seems to be a bigger deal.

FKA Malibu412
    A little bondo and touch up paint....

JK. Take it back. Maybe the shop has the same model and size and will simply swap it out for you?
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cannondale says no they've seen pictures its my second bike now. Its only cosmetic "they say".

Ridin' dirty!
    Welcome to the "New Cannondale".....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Cannondale says no they've seen pictures its my second bike now. Its only cosmetic "they say".
    maybe if they would have just gotten it right the first time...

so if i were to stab someone in the thigh, it would only be cosmetic according to that logic.

i've purchased my last cannondale. i'll look for a US manufacturer when the time comes.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I work in a sheet metal manufacturer and have been in the industry for 21 years. Pourosity in welds has never been an acceptable quality issue and is always red flagged and rejected. It basically indicates a strong potential for weakened welds and a much higher portential for failure. Second bike or not, it should have been caught by quality control and held back. I would force the issue on the return and ask them to replace the frame double quick.

Not everyone can be an expert in welding and Cannondale should take this frame back no questions asked. If the local representative has refused your request go above his/her head and deal with someone who realizes the potential for a severe injury to occur... Must I mention lawsuit...

Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post

I had to get a replacement for my 2010 flash 29er frame and got a 2011 Flash 29er replacement..... 2011 frame looked a little sloppy, lets just say that on my 2010 USA frame i didn't even know it was more than one piece of metal.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971 View Post

so if i were to stab someone in the thigh, it would only be cosmetic according to that logic.
    LOL too funny...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It would help if this got more mindshare Twitter or Facebook. To get their attention just not shure which email to send it to at Cannondale/Dorel corporate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Is it too late to simply take the bike back for a refund?

No good in rock gardens..
    Because, quite simply, it's not right. It's not "cosmetic" at all - it's structural. Cosmetic would be a paint defect.

Cannondale pride themselves on quality aluminium frames - that is not a quality bit of work right there. It's a potential "stress riser" where forces can be focused on that one defect, leading to a potential frame failure. It's not meant to be that way - I wonder why the shop even offered it for sale if they knew the defect was there when you got it? Is that what happened, or did you find the problem later on?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rize View Post
    I work in a sheet metal manufacturer and have been in the industry for 21 years. Pourosity in welds has never been an acceptable quality issue and is always red flagged and rejected. It basically indicates a strong potential for weakened welds and a much higher portential for failure. Second bike or not, it should have been caught by quality control and held back. I would force the issue on the return and ask them to replace the frame double quick.

Not everyone can be an expert in welding and Cannondale should take this frame back no questions asked. If the local representative has refused your request go above his/her head and deal with someone who realizes the potential for a severe injury to occur... Must I mention lawsuit...

Just my two cents.
    If I remember anything from a welding course I took 15 years ago, wormholes are usually caused by overheating the weld. When the welder is laying/pushing "the bead" if too slow a motion or too high a welding setting is used then the metal is overheated and the weld collapses on itself creating the wormhole. Either way it is not a cosmetic issue and any dignified welder would not try and pass that off as it is unacceptable.
    Press the issue and insist in an upset but controlled manner until you get the result you deserve. You paid money for the bike and it's warranty and this is unacceptable. They can say whatever they want to try and get out of giving you a new frame. It appears that this is a new Cannondale tactic, but it's just poor customer service. Look through the threads and you will see similar stories of members having to deal with the company.

Persist is the only way to get results.

Can't stop the Prophet
    It would help if this got more mindshare Twitter or Facebook. To get their attention just not shure which email to send it to at Cannondale/Dorel corporate.
    Done:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canno...ref=ts&sk=wall

https://www.facebook.com/RideCannondale
    Last edited by brows141; 07-15-2011 at 02:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    Is it too late to simply take the bike back for a refund?

Well LBS said no refund because its not a model they normally stock, and this is the second bik enow which I accepted with a hole, which they should have warned me against but they both say its only cosmetic.

The first bike was completely replaced after I emailed Cannondale/Dorel pictures of its lumpy and bumpy welds. The welds on this one are noteably smoother but worlds away from a 2009 model.

I just need to find a good email address for Cannondale/ Dorel customer service etc. Regional rep has turned me down saying its only cosmetic. The rest of the welds look good.

Most likely it was missed during quality control (its on the inside of the seat stay)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I say take a drill into your LBS and start drilling little holes in the welds on owners bike until he agrees to take it back. That should do the trick. :-)

I Have Cookies
    Not to Hijack the thread but OP thanks for the thread! I did not know this bike existed! now I have another bike on my list of possible candidates for my new commuter!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
    Not to Hijack the thread but OP thanks for the thread! I did not know this bike existed! now I have another bike on my list of possible candidates for my new commuter!

No joke its a great bike, its quality despite the obvious issues here. I thank Cannondale they already exchanged one identical bike because of "impreferfect" welds they were not "smooth" enough.

I've now had 60 days to tryout this model and I love it. the wheels rims 700cx37 hold my 250lbs easily its smooth rolling and fast.

It comes with knobby Continental Double Fighter II's for light trail use. Which would be fine nothing more than light trails.

I added my own "Slicks" Continental Sport Contacts for even less rolling resistance.

The Disc brakes Tektros are fine for my use, and weight wise its pretty good in a Small frame I guess 28lbs or less. Its all white with the all black wheels rims I get compliments on it every time I ride from perfect strangers. And for $600 I got a great deal from LBS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast