Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

What do we know about '08 latecomers?

I've seen a few vague remarks, but what do we know about the '08 latecomers in the 160 and 130mm travel categories? I saw the pic of the all white Prophet MX, but is there anything else? Sources? I'm trying to decide if it's worth waiting, or if I should buy now while I can still get '07s. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    I've seen a few vague remarks, but what do we know about the '08 latecomers in the 160 and 130mm travel categories? I saw the pic of the all white Prophet MX, but is there anything else? Sources? I'm trying to decide if it's worth waiting, or if I should buy now while I can still get '07s. thanks
    I have seen a drawing at my local LBS. The only other information I have is that they will be available May/June 2008. I know that I am going to wait till then. currently still happy with my Jekyll, but will definite change it when the 130 Trail Carbon comes out.

mtbr member

Big Mountain 160?

Here's a scan from this months MBR magazine, here in the UK about what they say is next years 160mm travel bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So whats that called? 4 bar link, Horst wotnot or upside down Nomad.
    Single pivot rules OK.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    So whats that called? 4 bar link, Horst wotnot or upside down Nomad.
    Single pivot rules OK.
    That is a single pivot...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    the most promising aspect of that photo is the 1.5" dia. headtube bring on the lefty maximus 160!!!!!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    the most promising aspect of that photo is the 1.5" dia. headtube bring on the lefty maximus 160!!!!!!!
    Apart from the asian made entry-level hardtails, when's the last time you saw a Cannondale Mountain bike without a 1.5 headtube? That's a given. Especially since Cannondale had 1.5 headtubes before the OnePointFive standard even existed.

That bike is far from being as elegant as Cannondale usually are, but a prototype is a prototype, it's purpose is more to test geometries, suspension action and rates and so on, I think the final product will look much better.

mtbr member
    That article cemented the kiss of death of the Prophet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    that makes me not want a prophet now...crap. Any similar info on the 130mm trail bike?

mtbr member
    This looks really simple....NOT!
    You can bet the final product will look much better, probably completely different - anybody remember Darwin vs. Rush?!

Are you with me
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I don't get how this picture makes the existing Prophet a bad bike

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCastorp
    I don't get how this picture makes the existing Prophet a bad bike
    It doesn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    sooo...if the prophet does get the axe, what do they do with frame warranty stuff? Give you the 130mm bike? I've got a friend who warrantied his older Gemini for a Perp frame because his was so much nicer than the current gemini...would they do the same for prophet?

mtbr member
    Hans, I meant that C'dale will most likely be killing the Prophet line after this year. I have a Prophet and think it's an amazing bike.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloated Badger
    Here's a scan from this months MBR magazine, here in the UK about what they say is next years 160mm travel bike.
    Wow, you're a legend. Thank you for posting that photo.

She isn't very pretty is she... I was thinking they would've moved on from the SP... Maybe not

mtbr member
    Now if they could add a pivot to that bottle holder, you could have mixed drinks after each ride.

LA CHÈVRE
    Now if they could add a pivot to that bottle holder, you could have mixed drinks after each ride.
    Lefties have many advantages: I mount a water bottle cage to the front wheel's mounting bolt on the right of the wheel... I always lose the drinks as soon as I hit 15mph though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, can you say meta - commencal meta? yes, the meta wasn't the first, but there sure has sprung out quite a few bikes with similar rear wheel suspension lately.(no, i don't mean single pivots, but sp with this kind of triangulated rockers.) this def remind me of a meta anyway. the main difference is just where the swingarm is attached to the fornt triangle, or rather the look of the swingarm. this makes for the difference in the linkage. i can't see why attaching the lower end of the shock to the swingarm would make any difference other than saving weight (no extra mount on the frame, just a small one on the swingarm - or does this make it heavier?) as the lenght from the rocker and the swingarm seems to be constant.. errrr, meaning that the rocker is the part that moves closer to the swingarm, and not the other way around. the curve of the mount seems to be pretty much flat, but what do i know.

anyway, looking forward to seeing the production bike. if they're gonna make this one in carbon.. well, it will be interesting.

and kevin g, that drink comment was hillarious

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Interesting bike, but not by its looks. I have secretly hoped C'dale puts a Maxle thru-axle system (for rear wheel), 160 mm rear wheel travel and Lyrik forks with 1.5" steerer tube on Prophet MXs. That has not happened, but perhaps they make these happen in this new model.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

Ridin' dirty!
    I can't see how this design will actually help make the bike lighter though... there are more parts, resulting in more weight. (common sense tells me that). But, it also looks like they've finally got rid of the main flaw of the Prophet: The swing arm lwill be way more stiffer, since the main Pivot looks huge (never understood why cannondale used a smaller pivot/bearing on their AM Prophet than on the older Super Vee and Jeckylls) and using the rocker arm insulates lateral forces from negatively affecting the shock resulting in longer lasting shock/and bushings. And finally there's a water bottle mount that you can reach without getting your hands chopped off by the chainrings I like to keep water in my camelbak and the beer on the bike... (and other sorts of energy drinks)
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member

It was about time

I just think the conceptual design of the bike is very good. The bike seems to be very light and insanely plush, yet very active; I liked the new linkage. That's very promissing, and made me have faith in Cannondale again. I really dig the new concept, and that made me turn my eyes away from the Enduro SL for a moment. Let's wait and see. Good job Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    this frame looks heavier than it needs be. it's about time that cannondale took their sp design a step beyond the most simpel form in the long travel bikes (like they did on the perp/judge) and thus this look somewhat promesing. it still looks kinda bad though, and as i mentioned before, like meta rip off with a cannondale swingarm. however sceptical i am it still changed the way i look at my prophet... if i was cannondale i would liscence the headtube interchangeable geometry from the commencal supreme though. way superior to the prophets way of adjusting the angles.

and enduro sl? please, the spesh dual crown fork is enough to kill that bike as an afrodisiac. ;-) hehe, don't buy spesh. if you do they'll only buy up more patents and start sueing everybody else. there's too many nice bikes out there to even consider spesh i believe. i used to like em, but... (yes, i'm sure it's a nice bike, but.. it's spesh)
    Last edited by klinkekule; 09-30-2007 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Watching the pic closely, is the shock attached to swingarm? That's gonna produce a big leverage ratio... But looks like just what Trek did to their bikes. It seems to be a good idea, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Remember that is just a prototype and the end product may not look anything like that.
    Its good to know that they are trying different concepts and want to move the brand forward.

mtbr member
    The Prophet's death is not envisaged before the arrival of the 130 mm (with the new lefty) !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast