mtbr member
    Mar 2010

What To Do With An Old Super V-900

I'm just getting back into riding and have replaced my '96 Super V-900 with a new '10 RZ120. I can't see any use for the older bike and am wondering what to do with it. It just seems like so much has changed in the last 14 years, that it's obsolete. I "upgraded" to V brakes and clipless pedals when I bought it. The DD50 HeadShok is dead, and I'm told it could cost around $350 for the fix/upgrade under some sort of Cannondale trade-in program. Otherwise, the bike is in great condition. Is it worth anything, or should I just plan to give it to the guy who mows my yard?

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    Quote Originally Posted by RizeNoob
    I'm just getting back into riding and have replaced my '96 Super V-900 with a new '10 RZ120. I can't see any use for the older bike and am wondering what to do with it. It just seems like so much has changed in the last 14 years, that it's obsolete. I "upgraded" to V brakes and clipless pedals when I bought it. The DD50 HeadShok is dead, and I'm told it could cost around $350 for the fix/upgrade under some sort of Cannondale trade-in program. Otherwise, the bike is in great condition. Is it worth anything, or should I just plan to give it to the guy who mows my yard?
    You are very correct a lot has changed in 14yrs. Your bike, while dead for your purposes may not be to some one else. I think $350 is very steep for a headshok rebuild and I bet if you look around you can find a better price. If you give it to some one and advise them of the needed repair and the cost, most folks just getting started would love that bike and the price!

rollin
    Oct 2009
    +1 for infecting others with our disease

mtbr member
    $350 is steep - MendonCycleSmith fixed mine for under $200 including shipping/labor/parts (new cart, cannondale said it wouldn't fit, but Mendon made it fit)

I "converted" mine to a road bike for beating around town - new tires, platform pedals, that's about it. My wife and I use it on a trainer during off season too. If you don't need that, give it to a worthy friend, sell it on craigs list, put it on the curb with FREE sign. SOMEONE will love it.

Personally, turned out I couldn't give mine up - too much sentimental attachment I guess.
    ('93 Delta V)

"should I just plan to give it to the guy who mows my yard?" - Sure!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

The quote I got was a rough recollection from a guy at my LBS where I purchased the Rize, so they might do it for less (?); but, this is supposedly an "official" swap from Cannondale.

The "day workers" in our area are keen on bikes as their sole mode of transportation, so I may just go that route--or, give it to my yard guy.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

"Old" Super V 900

I just paid $300 for a '98 V500 and had to replace the front chainrings, brake pads and need to put a heavier shock spring in the front (Red) and replace the rear Fox Vanilla X as I weigh 220. Where are you located....might know of someone interested ($) ? They're a great frame and there are peolple out there that still ride them!

How do I do that?
    Do you have any sentimental attachments to your V-900?

I have a Killer V-900 that I never really got to enjoy but this was my first mountain bike that I received as a college grad gift 15 years ago. I knew nothing about bikes and got taken by the lbs who sold my massive height of 5'7", an extra large frame Needless to say, I never felt right riding it but I was none the wiser back then. Barely ever rode it, placed some road tires on it to do a Bike NY ride or two and basically had it hanging in my apartment for all these years. 14 years later, bought a Rize 3 and got bitten hard by this new beloved hobby.

I tend to keep things forever but I think it's time to sell my Killer-V I wish I could keep her since I always thought she was a beaut but there's just no point when I'm stretched out like a fool on it. Damn my ignorance and damn those sob's at French's Cycles in LI

..yes, the bar ends are a bit high up to help compensate for my stretch a little

If you have the space, I'd say keep it for sentimental reasons or even spice it up as a round about town bike like jdr did. It seems there's a lot of folks out there who still love these frames

Edit...Ooops, I just realized you guys are talking about full squish V's. Sorry....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks again, guys. I do have an affinity for this bike but can't see any point in riding it anymore when I have a brand new Rize sitting next to it. There's no comparison (well, there is, but it's staggering). I put it on Craig's List for $250. With the fork situation, I don't think I can ask for more.

@EXFFPM: I'm in the Houston area. There've been a couple of folks interested in the Craig's List ad, but if you know of anyone...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My 2 cannondale Vs.........Although ther shocks are giving me problem ie, like an intermittent jerking whenever i press the front brakes, they still put smile on my face whenever people give me a compliment..... i will one day look into these problems and still keep them.

mtbr member
    make an uber v...