mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What to do about my bent 29er SL2? (now with pics)

Back in June we bought a large SL2 for me and a medium SL4 for the wife (both 2013 29er models). We absolutely love the bikes and had a great time riding them on the northern GA trails. In July they were shipped to Korea for our move. They 'repacked' my bike during which they removed the wheels. They did a sorry job cushioning it and one brake disc got bent. I took it by the LBS to check it out and they pointed out the rear derailleur was ruined. I ordered new parts and then they tried to put it all together. Guess what? The frame is bent!

I filed a claim with the shipper and just planned on buying a new Cannondale. But then I found out Cannondale doesn't seem to allow their bikes to be sold here. So now I am trying to decide what I want to do. Should I try to buy a used Cannondale frame? Or maybe one by some other company? I'm not like some hard core biker - I'm just a casual rider that wanted a nice bike and found out mountain biking is more fun than I thought it would be.

More pics: ImageShack Album - 6 images
    Last edited by scraggly; 01-03-2014 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good evening,
    I just recently went through the same problem during my move to Japan. I would assume you are military being stationed in Korea? If so good luck with the claim, they crushed my old Haro and I haven't seen a penny yet for a claim filed over two months ago. Anyway, I had a bike frame shipped here from the states that I bought used from another web forum (Cannondale Six13 road bike). The shipper was willing to work with me but ran into some issues with the size of the box, it worked but was a pain and that was just for the frame. If you have family in the states they could ship the bike for you, but I imagine Korea might have more restrictions than Japan does. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustangski View Post
    Good evening,
    I just recently went through the same problem during my move to Japan. I would assume you are military being stationed in Korea? If so good luck with the claim, they crushed my old Haro and I haven't seen a penny yet for a claim filed over two months ago. Anyway, I had a bike frame shipped here from the states that I bought used from another web forum (Cannondale Six13 road bike). The shipper was willing to work with me but ran into some issues with the size of the box, it worked but was a pain and that was just for the frame. If you have family in the states they could ship the bike for you, but I imagine Korea might have more restrictions than Japan does. Good luck with your search.
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one that had bad luck like this. Yeah, I don't really want to buy a used frame because it could have some issues with it. But if I order a whole bike through the regular mail I may have trouble avoiding paying crazy taxes on it. I looked at other bikes for sale here but a comparable model to mine costs at least $1700 and I don't even like it as well.

I thought about trying to straighten the frame myself but I doubt that will end well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If the frame is not usable I'd search out a good machine shop or fabricating shop and see if the can tweak it back into shape. You've got nothin to lose. It not horribly bent and I'm sure some one will post about the potential metal fatigue or frame failure but it's not rideable in its present condition and you stated you're a casual rider so I think you've got nothing to lose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    If the frame is not usable I'd search out a good machine shop or fabricating shop and see if the can tweak it back into shape. You've got nothin to lose. It not horribly bent and I'm sure some one will post about the potential metal fatigue or frame failure but it's not rideable in its present condition and you stated you're a casual rider so I think you've got nothing to lose.
    Yeah, I would've tried already to straighten it except my damage claim hasn't been settled and I have to keep it available for inspection. If I straightened it then it would be my luck that they would ask to see it.

Is there anyplace on the internet I could buy a reasonably priced replacement? Even not a Cannondale part. The LBS only has full suspension frames that start at $2200.