mtbr member
    Jul 2004

what is the disadvantage of lefty shocks?

what is the disadvantage of lefty shocks? and also do i need to go to special bike shops to get different lefty shox?

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by sky84
    what is the disadvantage of lefty shocks? and also do i need to go to special bike shops to get different lefty shox?
    I have the lefty on my Jekyll 1000 and have yet to have any troubles with it period. Just hit up a Cannondale dealer in your area, will and deal for a good price on the lefty. Look at getting a one at the end of the season. Check out EBay as well. Sometimes they have them for auction and won't cost you a arm and a leg. Lefty shocks don't come cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I have the lefty on my Jekyll 1000 and have yet to have any troubles with it period. Just hit up a Cannondale dealer in your area, will and deal for a good price on the lefty. Look at getting a one at the end of the season. Check out EBay as well. Sometimes they have them for auction and won't cost you a arm and a leg. Lefty shocks don't come cheap.

What prevents me from going with any other manufacturer is the Lefty. It is a pain to mount onto fork mounting racks, but there are plenty of different types of racks out there. It is the best fork on the market.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You can't remove the front wheel without a 5 mm, you have to take off the brake caliper to get the wheel off and, once it's off, it won't fit into a QR bike holder on roof racks.

Other than that it's a great fork.

M

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    What prevents me from going with any other manufacturer is the Lefty. It is a pain to mount onto fork mounting racks, but there are plenty of different types of racks out there. It is the best fork on the market.

Get a truck and use tie-downs. I have a truck and don't have to worry about that.

Factory Pilot
    You'll have fun times trying to mount a cycle computer too.. Unless you're tricky and can mount the magnet to the brake disc, or are happy to route the wiring for a cadence model that runs off the rear wheel. All in all, a small price to pay.. figuratively speaking

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Wireless computer are easy to install on the lefty...

The down side is poor front hub choices!

I had a lefty 2 years ago and i'm gonna get one again on the prophet next season...

Factory Pilot
    Really? You're the first person I know of who's said it's easy. Do you have a photo cause I'd love to know how you do it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    'Quiet Grampa or we'll put you in a home!'
    'You already did put me in a home!.'
    'We'll put you in that crooked home we saw on sixty minutes!'
    'I'll be good.'

Poser
    Advantages:
    Extremely stiff
    Light by comparison for given travel

Disadvantages:
    Expensive upgrade
    Newest fork technology takes a season (or so) to make it to the Lefty
    Bike rack situation
    Wheel removal situation

mtbr member

Lefty

the biggest disadvantage i have found in the last 4 years of use with the lefty is in the eyes of the guys that i ride with when i track right through a hairy section--and they don't

ya the rack thing is a little pain (i use fork-up lefty attachment), but it is a small price to pay--and after a while it's not that big a deal. (at least not with the avid mech's that i am using)

in fact the lefty is the only reason i don't have a new ride now. i am looking for a new ride and have almost decieded on a hammerhead------------However now that the 05's are out i am willing to wait and look at prophet so i can stay with a lefty! i have heard horror stories of people that use to ride a lefty and then left for something else only to be disapointed.

We shall see what happens----anyone want to buy my jekyll?
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Huge Tracts of Land
    I love this fork and yes the looks you get when you whoosh past your buds is great

The hassle with removing the front wheel, using an Allen key as opposed to a quick release, I take off the rear wheel know and throw the bike in the hatchback, as opposed to usually taking off the front wheel and throwing in.

At first I was puzzled as to attach a computer but again now just using the rear wheel.

mtbr member

I have a Lefty on my new Jekyll 800 and love it. No disadvantages yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ReflexPoint
    Really? You're the first person I know of who's said it's easy. Do you have a photo cause I'd love to know how you do it.
    On my scalpel i used a regular 25 dollar cat eye enduro. Just unbolted the round fork clamp from the sensor and taped the sensor to the brake line with electrical tape. It has worked with out a glitch all year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The biggest disadvantage is people stopping me on the trail to ask me how I like it.

Trail rider and racer
    I think the single biggest disadvantage is the lack of front hub options. Most people are stuck with Mavic wheelsets which suck IMHO. From where I stand I would much prefer to be able to build my own custom wheelset using the likes of a King hub.

To me thats the biggest and most influential reason for putting me off (For the several times I have been very close to purchasing a Scalpel!)
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I think the single biggest disadvantage is the lack of front hub options. Most people are stuck with Mavic wheelsets which suck IMHO. From where I stand I would much prefer to be able to build my own custom wheelset using the likes of a King hub.
    There are options for Lefty front hub:
    - whatever hub comes with the bike
    - Mavic
    - Woodman components
    You are quite fond of your King hubs Trevor, aren't you? As nice as they are there is also ton of other excellent hubs too.

Disadvantages for Lefty:
    - hard to ride without hands
    - not all shops know how to service them properly

Factory Pilot
    I can't believe I didn't think of that.. Thanks heaps.
    --------------------------------------------------
    'Quiet Grampa or we'll put you in a home!'
    'You already did put me in a home!.'
    'We'll put you in that crooked home we saw on sixty minutes!'
    'I'll be good.'

mtbr member
    ....I'm willing to go as far as to claim that not many shops know how to service any type of fork properly.

mtbr member

Woodman

as was previously mentioned, go with a woodman hub

www.woodmancomponents.com

they are great to deal with and you can buy direct from them, and they make other c-dale stuff as well. i had mine built to a mavic 317 ust rim and i could not be happier. it is the best hub i have ever used hands down.
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The biggest disadvantage is hearing the same joke over and over again from yahoos on the trail..."Hey, you left half your fork behind." Or, "They forgot to install half your fork".

If you true your own wheels, you'll have to get an adapter for the lefty hub. And the bike rack thing...I ended up buying a full upright rack which I really like not having to take the tire off.

Advantages are you can change your front tire without taking the wheel off the frame. Stiff and light. Had mine for 4 years and have had zero problems.

Village Dirtbag
    [QUOTE=Mtbrat]I love this fork ..QUOTE]

Hey Mtbrat- you can't really call a Lefty a "fork", can you. It is more like...I don't know...a chop stick, I suppose. Stick, shock, thingy, whatever, but it is most certainly not fork-like!

Huge Tracts of Land
    Yo @Dam

you be quite right --> you can tell I am recently converted, I must learn new terminology

but in the end you can live with your mate's and numbnuts joking around when you zoom past them on the track

now that is worth the moolah and a few rubberneckers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

here is the way you mount a computer on a lefty