mtbr member
    Nov 2006

what category is C dale in?

Hi all,
    I was thinking about this today, I searched and found nothing. This may sound like a stupid question, but is C dale a mass production bike company? I'm asking because I would consider them to be a mass production bike co. however, if they are "handmade in USA" wouldn't that disqualify them as a mass production operation? To what extent are these bike handmade?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think Cdale is in the upper middle class range of bikes, mainly targeted at those who want a prestigious name but don't necessarily want to spend $7k on a bike, although there's the Carbon Rush. They're definitely a big operation, and have really expanded as far as I can see in terms of production and selection of models. From what I can see they are mostly handmade, although I'm not too sure about the Carbon models. Their size can be a bit deceiving because they are very strict about which shops can carry them, which creates the impression that they're much smaller than they really are.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    I think Cdale is in the upper middle class range of bikes, mainly targeted at those who want a prestigious name but don't necessarily want to spend $7k on a bike, although there's the Carbon Rush. They're definitely a big operation, and have really expanded as far as I can see in terms of production and selection of models. From what I can see they are mostly handmade, although I'm not too sure about the Carbon models. Their size can be a bit deceiving because they are very strict about which shops can carry them, which creates the impression that they're much smaller than they really are.
    Just ask Mendon..........
    But we still love him!
    Just not in that way........ NTTAWWT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, I know what you mean about looking smaller than they are. I mean in my area there are only like 2-3 C dale dealers within 1 hour driving each way, but it seems like you can get a Trek, GF, Giant, etc in just about any bike shop. Thanks again.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan2207
    Thanks, I know what you mean about looking smaller than they are. I mean in my area there are only like 2-3 C dale dealers within 1 hour driving each way, but it seems like you can get a Trek, GF, Giant, etc in just about any bike shop. Thanks again.

Steve
    Yeah, it seems like Trek, GF, and Specialized can be found almost anywhere, and that is what worries me about them. From the looks of it Trek and Spec both make some pretty good bikes, and I have enjoyed them when I testrode them. Most of the time when I've looked at them in the past, it was in more of a lower end shop with no higher-end models in stock who just told me they could order it if needed, though I hesitate to do this when the rest of their bikes seem to all be below the $1000 range. It's just that some of the shops I've seen them in look a bit questionable when it comes to service or expertise. I won't deny, though, that Cdale loosening up a bit would really help me with my service issues.

Like catnip for people
    I know this is a bit of a side track, but I was quite shocked at how low CDale stock is on the NASDAQ (Symbol is BikeQ)... I mean you could average about $10-$20 USD from 1995-2000 but ever since the chapter 11 the stock is at a pitiful level... that was 2002-2003. So 4 years later the stock is still at like 9 cents...

I was quite surprised by that... Thought it would have grown...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    I know this is a bit of a side track, but I was quite shocked at how low CDale stock is on the NASDAQ (Symbol is BikeQ)... I mean you could average about $10-$20 USD from 1995-2000 but ever since the chapter 11 the stock is at a pitiful level... that was 2002-2003. So 4 years later the stock is still at like 9 cents...

I think that if the stock drops bellow $1 NASDAQ terminates public trading, but I'm not financial expert.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I think that if the stock drops bellow $1 NASDAQ terminates public trading, but I'm not financial expert.
    I think you're right.

Maybe they're listed on OTC or Pink Sheets.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Just ask Mendon..........
    But we still love him!
    Just not in that way........ NTTAWWT
    Hey, how'd I get dragged into this?

I would consider them handmade, as they are. But there are plenty of computers and lasers involved too, so, umm, uh, since we built the computers and lasers too, does that help make them handmade, more, sorta, kinda?

Don't get me started on dealers. Cannondale is none too picky about who they set up, just where
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981

I dont exactly follow stocks that much, and I might just be off my rocker, but can't that be attributed to the failuer of the motorsports lines
    I was pretty sure they lost lots of money on their quads and dirt bikes lines
    i could be wrong, but this could be the reason........
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Those stocks are in the pink sheets and have no value. You would be buying stocks in a bankrupted company called Cannondale Coporation and would be part owner of their debt. That company is dead. Cannondale bikes are made by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation a newish and privately owned company that started in 2003 after the company was bought by a private equity firm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Those stocks are in the pink sheets and have no value. You would be buying stocks in a bankrupted company called Cannondale Coporation and would be part owner of their debt. That company is dead. Cannondale bikes are made by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation a newish and privately owned company that started in 2003 after the company was bought by a private equity firm.
    No employee stock options for you then, Ron.

LA CHÈVRE
    The way I see it, yes they are mass produced because they make lots of bikes.

But what does mass produced mean? You can have mass produced, quality, handmade, high-end products as well as you can have mass produced, made by barely paid kids with no shoes, that's hand made as well and then you can have mass produced by robots and computers located in outer space...

Mass produced isn't a bad thing, it's usually just a more efficient way to make things. In a huge factory, 40 guys will only weld, another 50 will only assemble fork internals and so on while a non mass produced product can be one guy that cuts the tubing, make the jig, fit the tubes together, tack weld, align, weld and a second guy puts the frame to heat treating, paints, put decals on...

Mass produced or more small shop like companies don't make better or worse products. The problem is that many big corporations, to make more profits, will cut corners here and there to crank out more products, faster and at lower costs. The final product usually shows that. Cannondale, while being mass produced, don't cut corners too much and the finished products are usually up there with many of the boutique brands in terms of build quality and finish. When I compare my Prophet or my F1000 to my more expensive Gary Fisher, you see right away that Trek cuts more corners. The paint job is cheaper, the finish is cheaper, the welds of course are cheaper, I can see ugly gaps between bonded parts that show even after it's painted...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I don't know about you, but these photos really impressed me as to how these guys produce bicycles
    Attached Images Attached Images

7hz
    Old newbie
    Hey, SWEET photos! They should have all that kinda stuff up on their website...

And what's with the guys in the space suits!?!? Are they sandblasting the welds or something?

That shelf of lefties is tight as well.

DROOL

mtbr member

Drool

Boy would I like to get in there one night

mtbr member
    Since some of you liked the pics I have three more:
    Attached Images Attached Images

7hz
    Old newbie
    Man I love that frame torture device!

Hey whilst you are here k.kazantzoglou - how are you getting on with the Cannondale Caffeine 4SL? I have one of these in my sights for purchace really soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz
    Man I love that frame torture device!

Hey whilst you are here k.kazantzoglou - how are you getting on with the Cannondale Caffeine 4SL? I have one of these in my sights for purchace really soon.
    I'ts so sweet and nice ride.
    When I first riden it I was 150 kg now 6 months, 980 MTB Kms, 45 hours ride time and -35 kg's later the bike is still gives me a thrill of a lifetime and I've readen it to extremes (my CDale Rep is amazed that I have not broken it yet) and it only has some dents on the bottom tube and 2 lost teeth on the big front FSA chainring from some aquintances with local rocks.