mtbr member
    Apr 2007

What to buy F2 or F4

After years of road cycling I am enjoying mountain biking. Currently I am riding an old trek no suspension bike, I need a new bike. My search is narrowed down between a F2 or F4. The F4 gives alot for the $ but the F2 has better components and is more lustworthy. What bike should I buy, and why?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by poor iggy
    After years of road cycling I am enjoying mountain biking. Currently I am riding an old trek no suspension bike, I need a new bike. My search is narrowed down between a F2 or F4. The F4 gives alot for the $ but the F2 has better components and is more lustworthy. What bike should I buy, and why?
    Is the F2 the one in the brilliant Berzerker yellow/green sceme, with Lefty? My minds made up
    Sorry thats all I gots...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Get a prophet...haha
    JK
    but seriously get the F2, the lefty is worth it, the components are worth it, if you got the F4 and started upgrading at the end of the day it will end up costing you a lot more.
    I still think you should try a full suspension...just for kicks...Good Luck! lets us know what you decide!

LA CHÈVRE
    F2 or F4? What about the F3?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

7hz
    Old newbie
    Are we talking about this years American models?

In that case, they are almost totally different bikes.

The F2 has the Caffiene frame, the F4 has the Furio X frame.

Component wise, the F4 has 'get you going' components on it, the F2 seems to step it up at least two notches on all components.

I was looking at the F2 (Caffiene 2, euro model) as a possability, but I couldn't get my head round the need for a lefty 110mm travel on a hardtail, the extra cost, and the color! I am going for the Caffeine 4 SL instead as I felt it will suit my riding more, and I can get a full sus bike in a year or two (maybe a C'dale with a lefty?).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

I did not consider the F3 due to the fact that its not much of an upgrade over the F4. Yeah the F3 does get you the Caffeine frame but not much more after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I too started out looking at the F4 (and other models around the same price point) and then evolved to the F3 until I finally bought the F2. I've only had the bike a few weeks and haven't really had the chance to do a really hard ride, but I'm very happy with the purchase overall.

I agree that the F4 is a great bike for the price - solid frame and shock and 'ok' components. I initially looked at the F3 as an upgrade for the components, but then settled on the F2 for a few reasons.

The biggest factor for me was the Lefty shock. I tired a 2006 my LBS had with a Lefty and was really impressed, but the frame was too small for me. So then I tried the F2...and the rest is history! For my preferences, the Lefty was a much nicer feeling shock, very plush and a good range of adjustmanent for different terrain. Adjustable lock-out was also very useful. The F4 headshock was fine, but a bit too harsh for my liking.

Second factor was the general step-up in components. I doubted that I would get into a long upgrade path with the F4 and decided to bite the bullet and get some better quality components at the start. One of the big factors for me was a better set of brakes (hydro), better bottom bracket, etc. I also knew that I wanted to try clipless and the F4 would have required an upgrade here as well.

I initially didn't love the colour (the green/yellow), but I've grown to quite like it!

Overall the F2 feels like a great bike - nice weight, fast, solid components, durable frame, etc. If you can swing the extra $$ (it is a big step-up in price), then go for it!

Cheers