• Shimano Saint M800

2 10.53%
  • Shimano XT

5 26.32%
  • Avid Code 5

3 15.79%
  • Hayes Stroker trail

5 26.32%
  • another brake you suggest (in that price range, and please specify)

4 21.05%
    got the dhr...

New question here. what brakes for my prophet?

Hey, So soon I'll get some money, and I want some new brakes, so I decided I would get serious about brakes. I wanna know what my best option is. I have 5 different brakes I was thinking about:

Shimano saint m800
    Shimano XT
    Avid code 5
    Hayes stroker trail
    or
    Another brake you suggest (please specify!)

I want to get straitline levers, which wont work with the XT's or the stroker's, so I'm goin towards the saint's or the codes. but I'm not quite sure. Help me out!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah well, I'd go with the Codes, since Avid has a good reputation in my books for excellent stopping power, serviceability and generally being problem-free. Put em on and forget about em. And when it comes to bleeding, you can bleed them like no other brakes on the market, Avid's bleed kit is great.

mtbr member
    I'd go with another, anything in the Formula Oro Line price dependent, have look on CRC and just search formula. I really do think they make the best brakes around. They seem to give all the power of the much heavier DH brakes with the weight of some of the lightest XC brakes.
    Plus have a look in the review section.

mtbr member

Go with.....

the stroker trail(white).. They look tasty!! I'm looking into a pair for myself.

mtbr member
    take luise FR

ride.

LA CHÈVRE
    Another vote for the Formula Oro line... The new Saint have had great reviews though but Formulas are hard to beat.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I say Stroker Trails I love mine.. They have never had a problem stopping my 260#'s, and the feel is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Of the brakes you listed, I'd most certainly take the Shimano XT brakes. My experience has been that Shimano components, in general, have a better overall build quality, affording them the ability to stand the test of time. More importantly, the Shimano XT brakes are loaded with increadible stopping power, in a package that is, overall, rather lightweight.

I would say go with the Shimano Saint brakes, but I think that to be overkill for the likes of a Prophet. Prophet is XC/All-Mountain...exactly what Shimano is marketing their new XT gruppo.

My vote is Shimano XT! If you care for leightweight, incredible stopping power and increased longevity through quality control, I don't think there is another choice. I think if I had to buy my brakes for my Prophet again, I might buy the new Shimano XT's over the XTR's I purchased. My M975 XTR's stop extremely well, especially with 203mm/180mm rotors, but I suppose a little more stopping power wouldn't hurt.

got the dhr...
    So I checked everything out, and I think I might get the formula oro bianco's, with straitline levers, and a 200mm rotor in front, and a 180mm in the rear, or maybe a 160mm. With my deal, it'll all come out to around $270. Xt's would be $250, saints would be around $300, and the code 5's would be $180, and strokers would be around $180 as well. I really like the looks of th fomula's, but i don't know. Money is not much of an issue.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    So I checked everything out, and I think I might get the formula oro bianco's, with straitline levers, and a 200mm rotor in front, and a 180mm in the rear, or maybe a 160mm. With my deal, it'll all come out to around $270. Xt's would be $250, saints would be around $300, and the code 5's would be $180, and strokers would be around $180 as well. I really like the looks of th fomula's, but i don't know. Money is not much of an issue.
    You like the looks but to me, their look is their worst feature. Formulas have pretty much everything dialed performance-wise. Most people who try Formula brakes since their introduction of the Oro line don't want to touch any other brakes, they are that good. And if the performance is not enough, Formula USA has a customer service that is so good, every other company should be ashamed. They even have two guys helping out in the brake section here on mtbr.com. The only reason I might ditch my Oro Puros is to get their yet to be released R1...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i would go for the avid codes 5 cause of the braking power, or formula due to modulation...both of them relatively at low cost!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As Dan said, Formula is the best brake out there at the time, excellent brakes.

That said, I use Hope Mono M4/Mono Mini combo on my Rush, I really like their modulation.

got the dhr...
    Ya, I'm gonna go for the formula Oro bianco's. The only things I can't decide about is- what size rotors- I know I'm gonna get a 200mm in the front, but I think I might get a 160mm in the rear, but something tells me maybe I should get a 180mm in the rear. Also, what color straitline levers should I get? I was thinkin white, grey, gold, or maybe pink. The biancos are sort of a mirrior-chrome color. so what color looks the best with that?

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/levers.php

http://www.formulabrakeusa.com/?page_id=174

mtbr member
    black, but try the bianco lever first, you might like it.

mtbr member
    I have XT levers, XT calipers, and 8" Saint rotors. It works well. I haven't tried anything else.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Formulas are very powerful, 200mm rotors on a Prophet might be overkill.