mtbr member
    Jul 2007

What is better for Headshok, lockout, or normal?

Hi all,

First of all, let me say i am new to the Cannondale family.

At first I never beleived all the hype behind this, and considered cannondales a rich mans bike that has similar performance to all others.

Then I picked up a F4, put some of my better then stock parts in, and I have to say, I am very pleased with the geomety so far, by far the best I've tried.

Now to the thing bugging me the most: headshok, from a durability point of view, is it better to put it locked on long hills or flats, or to leave it open ?

Do you have any special tips on how to make it last as long as it can? (I am not to fond of paying others service my bike, and this is the only piece not selfservicable).

Thanks.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The lockout is there to be ridden. That said, repeated, long exposure to significantly bumpy riding, will cause the shim stack that creates the lockout out, to deform. Use the lockout when needed, but turn it off for the rough stuff at speed.

Keep an eye on your boot. Any tears, get it replaced immediately. Other than that, a once a year servicing by someone who knows what they're doing, will keep it running smoothly
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks MCS.

mtbr member
    hey mendon cycle smith.

i've got a lefty and is it normal to have a tiny tiny bit of play in the fork when locked out or is it supposed to be like a fully ridged fork when locked out?

i had the cannondale guys at one of the nationals "re-set" the air valve so i could use a shock pump with out an adaptor on it to get air in the fork and while he was working on the fork he said he re-set the bearings ???? and lubed the fork heck the bike is only 7 months old so Ok didn't cost me anything other than a sixer of PBR and $20 for his time.

since that time i've noticed that tiny bit of play in the fork when it's locked out is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    is this normal?
    Play indicates air in the cartridge. It happens slowly, so it may have been there for a while. All the work he did (at least as you state it), would not get into the cartridge for an oil and seal change. Bearing reset? Read up on it, it's in the stickies at the top of the forum. Service? Yep, once a year is a good interval. Any fork should get that. Sure, you CAN go longer, but stuff ain't cheap, so take care of it, if you it to take care of you

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    it's a 08 scalpel team the bike has seen zero abuse i dislocated my knee in march so the bike has been rarely ridden till this summer when we went to utah on vacation and happend to do the nmbs deer valley race. i asked the cannondale sobe mechanic to fix the air valve he went the extra mile and re-did the entire fork thats when i noticed the tiny bit of play in the fork when locked out.

i'm not too stressed out about it just wanted to know if it's normal...

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    just wanted to know if it's normal...
    Yep, and it will go away with a cartridge service. Dollars to doughnuts, it'll be back eventually though, repeat....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com