mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. What is it about Lefty sales on eBay?

Greetings,

I'm new to Cannondale, having just bought a 2004 Jekyll 1000 off of eBay over the summer. After adjusting the suspension to my size and riding style, I've been ecstatic with the bike, including the Lefty fork. I've also added a couple of XTR components, longer seat post, etc., by buying some used parts from eBay.

One thing that I've noticed on eBay that has me more than a little curious is just how many people are selling (and buying) Lefty forks. The volume of Lefty traffic there seems to be disproportionately high to me compared against other components, Cannondale and otherwise.

Anyone know why that is? Are lots of riders replacing their Lefties for traditional dual-tube forks? Are lots of Lefties failing and needing to be replaced and/or overhauled?

I hope that I don't have to replace my Jekyll's Lefty any time soon, as they seem to command a pretty steep price on eBay...

The Jekyll rocks, by the way. It's my first full suspension ride (since I raced motocross motorcycles many years ago during college) and I'm really loving it. Hardly a day goes by that I'm not out on it for at least 10-15 miles on the hilly trails near my house.

Cheers,

Ken

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Not that i am an expert (I too just started) but it seems to me to be 'older' Lefty's 100mm etc etc. I was thinking the same thing , perhaps it is riders looking to sell something older to move up to something new...I also noticed one or two sellers that seem to part out whole bikes 'used one season'....
    T

Dr Gadget is IN
    Speaking as a buyer - I notice that there are a fair number of "take-offs", basically brand new stuff. I bet it is the "eeewwww, it looks wierd" problem there. As for the used ones, maybe the same.
    I'm one of the odd folks - non CDale rider who loves Lefty's. Got a 130 Max (new from dealer - no ebay deals just then, but a good price) on my RM ETSX, and getting a (used/ebay/half price very good shape) 140 Max ready for a 29'er. Takes all kinds, eh?
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I'd suspect that, given the premium a decent Lefty fetches, some owners are realizing they can "trade up" to whatever Manitou / Fox / Rock Shox flavor of the day they please and have their ticket paid by the sale of their one-legged fork.
    speedub.nate
    ∑ MTBR Hiatus UFN ∑

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Idea! prophet sales

not to mention the quantity of prophets that are for sale, it was rated at the number one mtb for 2005. i would imagine that a lot of guys are just purchasing them to resell them due to the fact that if you order just a frame and fork from cannondale the cost is only about 100 dollars less than if you purchase the complete bike....so if they sell them on ebay they are probably making way too much for not being bike enthusiasts.

however if it wasn't for them we would all be buying it at retail

mtbr member
    I'm actually also thinking about selling my Lefty Max TPC+ which I got with my 2004 Jekyll 1000.
    It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the way the fork works or looks. I think it works brilliantly and looks really cool. It's just that I use the bike intensively and put in lots of really tough downhill rides which leads to very short and extremely expensive service intervals. The O-rings of the Manitou interior wear out fairly quickly and then the forks fluid starts leaking out of the fork and the rebound adjustment doesn't work anymore. The manual says that replacing seals and oil would be an annual service but I had to have it done for the first time only after half a year.

Members who have read this thread: 0