mtbr member
    Feb 2007

What about a jekyll 1000?

I'm looking at a 2004 Jekyll 1000 that is like new and hardly ridden. It's a size small with the bend in the top tube. It's very rare to find a used bike in this size and looking at the reviews for this model on mtbr it gets 4.75 out of 5. It's going for about $2000.

What does anyone think about this? Any comments on the bike or the price?

Cheers

Andy

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Price seems a bit high for a bike that is going on 4 years old unless it is really 'like new', but it's a nice riding bike since the 2004 models came with the Swinger (platform) shock. The components are LX/XT level and it does come with nice UST (tubeless) rims.

If it is a great fit and you have a hard time finding bikes that fit properly, then it could be worth it to you.

If you compare it to a new Prophet, it has better components for sure than a Prophet 4 that goes for around $1,800 and is comparable to the Prophet 3 that goes for about $2500 but it's a good three years old.

It doesn't really matter that much how much it cost back in 2004, it just matters what you'd have to spend for a bike today. Honestly, if your willing to spend $2,000 +/-10%, I think you could find a newer model of a comparable bike on closeout for the same or maybe even less. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Jeff

Thanks for the info. The bike does genuinely look like new. I had a look at the Prophet 3. The UK version has a Pike 409 fork. I like the look of the lefty fork and have read really good reviews about it, although I suppose the Pike would be easier to service possibly.

It's interesting what you say about the Swinger platform. Some of the negative points about this bike on MTBR relate to pedal bob. That was another question I had as the Dale site says the shock is a swinger but doesn't give details. Thanks for clearing that up.

The strong British pound against the US dollar at the minute makes this look really expensive also. It is 1000 (pounds) and a new Prophet 3 is 1599 new in the UK, just to put the pricing in a better perspective.

I will be hopefully keeping this bike for a long time so am not overly concerned about resale value. The fit and the ride are more important. One thing I was just thinking was about the warranty. I think Cannondale is lifetime on frame for the original purchaser, although I don't think its a deal breaker for me.

I can get a Mongoose Teocal Elite 2006 new for 900 on close out. I have been seriously thinking about this but think that a Cannondale would be a nicer ride, even if its a few years out of date. I also quite like the look of the small frame, with the kink in the top tube.

Cheers

Andy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Is the swinger shock Cannondale specific?

Jeff

Do you know is this swinger shock specific to this bike? Will I be able to change it to a Fox or have any difficulty getting another Swinger to fit down the line?

Cheers

Andy

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Not that I'm aware of, except for the outside as that is a Jekyll only set-up with the threads on the can, but perhaps Mendon would know if the innards are different. I know Santa Cruz has Swingers custom made for for some of their bikes, so it wouldn't be a stretch.

I had a Swinger 4-Way Air on a Super V that performed wonderfully. My daughter has a 2003 Jekyll without a platform shock and I think it would be much improved with a shock like a Swinger.

I also have a Swinger 3-Way Air on two bikes at the house (my son and I each have a Giant Reign) and I like the 3-Way Swinger just fine although I do miss the volume adjuster of the 4-Way.