mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. What is a 1999/2000 Super V1000 worth? help

Hi everyone,

A good friend of mine is selling his 1999 or 2000 Cannondale Super V1000 Bike and I am thinking about buying it. Its in GREAT shape but I need to know what is a fair price for the bike. He said he paid $1700 for it new but at the time the real price was $2400

As stated above the owner thinks is a 1999 or 2000. (EDIT its a 1997).

Please let me know what you guys think about price and maybe some overall reactions about the bike (like is it a good bike Pros-Cons)

Thanks,
    Dan j. Kraus :-)
    Vernon, New Jersey

Last edited by gtxscirocco; 08-17-2004 at 09:39 AM.

Are you talking to me?

What is it worth to you?

I say $500 at best. That is a great bike, but it is way outdated. You will never be able to add disc brakes to that bike.
    gfy

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think it may be older than 1999. I have a 1999 Super V 900 and it has disc tabs on the rear swingarm and the Fatty fork. It actually came with disc brakes. Cannondale recently did away with archives older than 2000 so I donít know exactly how to pinpoint it, but Iím guessing 1998 or maybe even 1997. That Alps air shock (looks like an Alps in the photo) might be worth avoiding. Measure the eye to eye and stroke. If itís the 5.75Ē eye to eye, itís going to be hard to find replacements and is another reason I think itís older than a 1999. It also says on the rear swingarm that it's a "100SL" which means that it's only 100mm rear travel. The 1999 Super V's had 120mm travel.

JBL
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi,

I have the exact same bike it's a 97 model, I almost never use mine so it's almost brand new, I want to update the rear shock, I just check and I have almost 5.5 inches eye to eye, so I need some advice about wich rear shock to use, thanks in advance.

JBL

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bike

Ok so its safe to assume that the bike is only worth ~$500 and that it is a 1997...

My Question is.. How out dated is this bike? Is it to far gone? Should I look for a newer bike?

Thanks for the help guys!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The biggest problems I see with this bike are:

∑ It cannot be updated to disc brakes. This may not be important to you, but if youíre thinking you would like the option to go disc, it canít happen with this bike.
    ∑ The rear shock is kind of an odd-ball size that will make it hard to upgrade as well, should you feel the need. The one on it may be fine, but then again, it may not be fine and only time will tell. It is part of the risk of buying this particular bike. This frame really likes a stable platform shock, but you might not be able to find one to fit it. I have no idea if that one can be updated by someone like PUSH.
    ∑ The Headshock fork is likely a 70mm travel fork at most. For pure efficient XC riding and even racing, the Headshock is tough to beat. They are lightweight and carve like a surgeon. But plush, they are not and they donít have a lot of travel. Most newer full suspension bikes have a minimum of 80mm and most have 100mm or more front travel.

A local shop near me has a frame similar to this (except that it is a Super V FR Ė with 120mm travel) with that stubby Alps shock that is brand new and he wants $250 for it including a Headshock fork.

The one in your picture was a nice bike in itís day, but truthfully, it is just far enough out of date to make it painful to own if you are going to ride it enough to possibly need parts and repairs. If you can get it ridiculously cheap, it would be OK if you want a Super V, otherwise look for a 2000 or newer. I say that because a 2000 or newer should be 120mm rear travel, should be the 2000 ISO brake tab alignment on the rear triangle and have a shock the is 6.5Ē eye to eye and 1.5Ē stroke that is common and can be updated to a stable platform type or just easily replaced period.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxscirocco
    Ok so its safe to assume that the bike is only worth ~$500 and that it is a 1997...

My Question is.. How out dated is this bike? Is it to far gone? Should I look for a newer bike?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dan,

If you are new to this and the bike is in good shape, then I think $500 is not a bad price. Apart from getting new tires, I wouldn't spend too much money upgrading that ride. The reason I say it is a good bike is because you can ride the hell out of it, not be afraid of messing up an expensive bike (you will fall many times if you are learning to ride techinical terrain) and learn exactly what you like and don't like. This will enable you to make a better decision in purchasing another bike down the road.

Again, make sure that the bike is sound and get a tune up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lots of helpful info! I have been ridding BMX / BMX XC for many years now and I'm looking to get into MTBing.. I have around $800 to spend on another bike (not a lot) but it should find me something..

*** I came accross another 97 Super V1000 and maybe you guys can inform me about the setup becuase it is upgraded. The forks, bars, and rear shock have been swaped out and I just need to know if its a better setup then the 1st bike I was looking at. Would this bike still fall into the ~$500 range as you guys stated above?

INFO:
    Thomson elite seatpost. Coda seat. Bontrager titanium downhill bars. White Brothers DC 118 DH fork. Carbon fiber front fender. Grip shift. Avid brake levers. Mavic 121 SUP rims. IRC Missile tires. Icon pedals. Coda cranks. Shimano XTR rear derailleur. Shimano Deore LX front derailleur. Fox Vanilla Rx rear shock. Machine Tech blue hubs. Used but well cared for.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I like this one a little better than the first one you showed, but it still shares many of the same Ďissuesí. If it is the FR version (which it appears to be) I think it actually had 120mm of rear travel instead of 100mm, although it still appears to have that stubby shock size (I can tell by looking at the front shock mount) that would be difficult to replace.

The White Bros fork will be a better balance for trail riding.

You still would not be able to upgrade to disc brakes.

I donít think you do not have a warranty since you are not the original owner.

SO, if you just intend to ride it as is while you save for your dream bike, it would be good for a $500 bike if itís in good shape. Just know that ití IS what it IS and will not ever be anything more than what it is right now. And it is a good bike, better than what you could buy new for the same money.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I like this one a little better than the first one you showed, but it still shares many of the same Ďissuesí. If it is the FR version (which it appears to be) I think it actually had 120mm of rear travel instead of 100mm, although it still appears to have that stubby shock size (I can tell by looking at the front shock mount) that would be difficult to replace.

The White Bros fork will be a better balance for trail riding.

You still would not be able to upgrade to disc brakes.

I donít think you do not have a warranty since you are not the original owner.

SO, if you just intend to ride it as is while you save for your dream bike, it would be good for a $500 bike if itís in good shape. Just know that ití IS what it IS and will not ever be anything more than what it is right now. And it is a good bike, better than what you could buy new for the same money.
    I think that is good advice Jeff. If you are getting this bike to learn to ride and learn your local trails, it will be much better than anything new for the same price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, thanks for the advice! I do have a good deal to learn since I'm switching to MTBing.. I don't want to rush into anything but I would like to buy a bike within the next week or so. The 1st bike I have posted is in mint condition and is Stock.. The 2nd bike has been used a good deal. I'm still watching e-bay and this site for more choices. If anyone comes across anything also let me know and if I buy the bike I will give a finders fee :-)

Here are some more pics of the 2nd bike