Mr. Knowitall

Weight difference Cannondale 1.125" vs. Project 321 steerers

I am going to pull the trigger on a Lefty Max RLC for my Yeti 575, and I am going to decide between the Project 321 or the original from Cannondale. I am going to use the P321 hub for the front wheel anyway, but I want the best deal on steerer both weight and cost-wise.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Cannondale steerer is 220 grams uncut (290 mm):

http://www.29squadron.com/product.php?id_product=46

I think the P321 is just about the same, maybe a little lighter...? (160 grams for the P321 has been mentioned here before but I don't know the length of that one...?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My P321 cut to 230 mm (overall lenght) weigh 166 grams

Mr. Knowitall
    Ok, then I will go for the P321, then. At least i will know it is available (the Asian Cannondale distributor told me the steerer was not available yet, but then others have them in stock...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    I am going to pull the trigger on a Lefty Max RLC for my Yeti 575, and I am going to decide between the Project 321 or the original from Cannondale. I am going to use the P321 hub for the front wheel anyway, but I want the best deal on steerer both weight and cost-wise.
    P321 is actually the original. The C'dale steerer is the new kid on the block and mysteriously very similar to the P321.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    P321 is actually the original. The C'dale steerer is the new kid on the block and mysteriously very similar to the P321.
    DekerfTeam, I like your style..... "mysteriously"

To be fair to Cannondale there is little you can do to change this adapter. I mean you are constrained by the i.d. of the crowns and the o.d. of the steerer tube. And they had to
    drill the holes like we did or they would be a brick. So really, they had little room for a design change. But I have heard that ours is a little lighter still.

The big question in my mind is since they come with a headset are you confined to
    use that headset? What if you want to use your favorite headset. Anybody know how that works?

hssp - feel free to e-mail us with any questions regading your project. We are always here to help.

Jake - Project321

Mr. Knowitall
    I have seen it available on www.cannondale-parts.de in 4 versions. Standard, hiddenset, zero stack and plain (steerer only).

Jake, thank you for your offer to help. I think I know what I need now, and I believe it is needless to say that it will fit the XL clamp width.

Are there any headsets that are known to work well/badly with Lefty 1,125" steerers? I have a CK one already that I plan to use.

mtbr member
    I have seen it available on www.cannondale-parts.de in 4 versions. Standard, hiddenset, zero stack and plain (steerer only).

Jake, thank you for your offer to help. I think I know what I need now, and I believe it is needless to say that it will fit the XL clamp width.

Are there any headsets that are known to work well/badly with Lefty 1,125" steerers? I have a CK one already that I plan to use.
    The CK will work fine with one small modification. You will need to split the crown race.
    That allows the crown race to slip on to the steerer tube. That is critical because the king crown race is larger than the inside dia. of the lower lefty crown. I have done this many, many times and it works fine. It just needs a small slit and to be well deburred because you want a good contact with the lower bearing and it will go together like butter!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Project 321 ROCKS.... go that way if any way! Great products and even better support... get that from C'dale?
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade
    Project 321 ROCKS.... go that way if any way! Great products and even better support... get that from C'dale?
    Much thanks Cactus man!

GTaholic
    Oct 2005

Theres lighter alternatives.
    Experimental Prototype

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias_Hellöre

Theres lighter alternatives.
    Not for my wallet

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not for my wallet
    haha good one!!

I don't know the price of that thing but I'm sure it is offensive to say the least

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Kohosis all aluminum 136 USD + 20 USD shipping. Weight probably 140+ grams, non customizable.

Project 321 89.95 USD + 12.26 USD shipping, Weight well over 150 grams, non customizable.

EP Lefty steerer from 195 USD + 9 USD shipping, weight from 76 grams upwards, full custom in colors and type.

If you all do think the 70+ grams weight saving is not worth 60 usd, let it go.
    Experimental Prototype