mtbr member

Warranty Question

So i was wondering exactly how strict or how generous Cannondale is on warranty issues.

I am the original owner of a 1992 M700 that still sees frequent commuter use by my wife. I have the reciept from the original sale.

Well, 12 years after buying it, the bike apparently has a crack forming at one of the chainstays. Back when I bought the bike, one of the big selling points was the lifetime warranty.

But now the bike is not quite in oringinal condition:
    Basically EVERY component is changed - V-Brakes, a suspension fork, covered in stickers (theft deterent for NYC) etc.

So anyone have an informed opinion on how C'dale will treat me - will they just give me a new frame? Charge me an upgrade fee? Deny me anything because of all the mods?

I will not be able to get the bike to my dealer for a couple of weeks, so i figured i'd solicit opinions beore then.
    Thanks in advance!

Are you talking to me?

Try calling Cannondale directly.

They will want you to take it to a dealer, but it is a good start. I am not sure what they will do,but they will work with you. Does your paperwork include the warranty info? If so, keep the info, and make a photo copy of the warranty to send to the shop/Cannondale when they want to see the frame. 1-800-bike-usa
    gfy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They won't give you any problems.

If they blame the frame damage was caused by a part you added, "they" will need to prove that if you decide to take it all the way. I can't imagine Cannondale making you go through that. Especially since your paper work shows your the original owner.

I agree with what damion said, call Cannondale and explain...they are very nice and want to help you and filter out the fraudulent claims.

BTW: Turn-around time is generally 2 to 3 weeks (repair or replace)..

mtbr member

Take it in

Cannonale will generally want to deal through a dealer. i used to work at a shop and never had cannondale refuse a warrenty. most of the time the owner of the shop called and told them what bike they had an said it was a warrenty. cannondale shipped out the new frame within a few days. then it was the rep's job to come inspect the frame and dispose of it properly (although our rep just told us to take care of it ourselves -- the owner was friends with him)

we were an honest shop and never had any problems -- hence i am still riding a cannondale jekyll (thinking about the new 04 jekyll)

hope this helps
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm curious... my frame is about 5 years old and the things gone to hell. I'm pretty sure i don't have the original recipt which the owners manual clearly says you need for the warranty but the LBS i bought it from has it in their records so does anyone know if i could get by that way? I mean, i'm the orginal owner and my LBS knows it so why wouldn't i just be able to do that? I see no ethical reason why i couldn't but maybe they are picky. Just wondering if someone has any experience with this.

Harmonius Wrench

You should be okay too.............

Quote Originally Posted by matt719
    I'm curious... my frame is about 5 years old and the things gone to hell. I'm pretty sure i don't have the original recipt which the owners manual clearly says you need for the warranty but the LBS i bought it from has it in their records so does anyone know if i could get by that way? I mean, i'm the orginal owner and my LBS knows it so why wouldn't i just be able to do that? I see no ethical reason why i couldn't but maybe they are picky. Just wondering if someone has any experience with this.
    ...just take it into your dealer and have them work with Cannondale on the warranty. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Cannondale will listen to your dealer, send out the replacement frame, and then have their rep "dispose" of it. Everything mentioned previously in this thread has been consistent with my experience with Cannondale. You should be okay. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

warranty

I just had the rear swingarm on my Jekyll replaced under warranty. I didn't have the original receipt but could verify through the shop where I bought it. It took a little over 3 weeks from the time the bike hit the shop until the part came in. One thing to remember is you are responsible for the labor. I got lucky and the shop that fixed my bike waived the labor to get me as a new customer.

Cannondale has always been good to me. I have an old SE1000 and had one of the techs send me some parts that were in a mystery parts box. You shouldn't have any problem with your warranty.