Thread: Warranty advice

mtbr member

Warranty advice

I need some advice on my warranty. I purchased a Rz140 5 about 3 months ago. I absolutely love it, but have a problem with the elixir r rear caliper. Basically the pads are rubbing against the disc whilst riding (brakes unengaged). I have tried all the usual stuff like pushing the pads back in, bleeding, cleaning etc. However, after about 10 mins the rubbing returns with an awful squeak. I have come to the conclusion that there is a bigger problem with the caliper. I have 3 questions -

1) is this covered by warranty?
    2) will any cannondale dealer sort this issue ( as I purchased the bike through mail order)?
    3) I use the bike regularly so would the dealer supply a brake to use whilst this issue is being sorted so I am not without a bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    I need some advice on my warranty. I purchased a Rz140 5 about 3 months ago. I absolutely love it, but have a problem with the elixir r rear caliper. Basically the pads are rubbing against the disc whilst riding (brakes unengaged). I have tried all the usual stuff like pushing the pads back in, bleeding, cleaning etc. However, after about 10 mins the rubbing returns with an awful squeak. I have come to the conclusion that there is a bigger problem with the caliper. I have 3 questions -

1) is this covered by warranty?
    2) will any cannondale dealer sort this issue ( as I purchased the bike through mail order)?
    3) I use the bike regularly so would the dealer supply a brake to use whilst this issue is being sorted so I am not without a bike?

I'm sure Avid have a 1 year warranty on their products.

I have have a few sets of various Avid brakes, they all have rubbed at some point to degree. Its possible you just have a bit to much fluid in the system or your calliper simply needs realigned.

mtbr member
    The thing is I have realigned 5 or 6 times and also let fluid out. It works fine for 10 minutes then the rubbing begins again.

LA CHÈVRE
    Avid brakes are prone to have such issues... I think they're crap honestly. Sorry, that's not helpful.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Take it to your shop, let them look at it. If its not a bleed or set-up issue, it could be something like a sticking piston.

If you have not already, do a search or repost in the brake section, im sure others will have had similar issues.

mtbr member
    I recently rebuild my 1.5 old avid elixir r rear caliper because of a sticking piston. That was really easy. If you can bleed them then you can rebuild.

Just order new o-rings: 11.5015.031.000 Bikeman Avid Elixir Caliper Service Kit

mtbr member
    I am sure I could do it, but I thunk it should be done under warranty. I am worried that if I don't I could invalidate it. However, I need to know whether it is covered.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I think they're crap honestly.
    Thank you, someone had to say it.

I've seen this many times with Avid brakes over the years, and it seems to be getting worse.

Regardless of these observations, they are a good company who stands behind their product. Your LBS should be able to easily sort it out with Avid for you.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I am sure I could do it, but I thunk it should be done under warranty. I am worried that if I don't I could invalidate it. However, I need to know whether it is covered.
    Avid's warranty is a year, or it is in the UK, as i have had various problems fixed on warranty before with Avids.

Call the bike store where you got the bike.

Once they are fixed, sell them and buy some Formula R1's

LA CHÈVRE
    R1 are not much better IMO, they're good, more consistent but they overheat waaaay too easily. Older Formulas were the best though and I haven't tried newer, other models.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    R1 are not much better IMO, they're good, more consistent but they overheat waaaay too easily. Older Formulas were the best though and I haven't tried newer, other models.

I really can't agree with your statement about R1's, as its certainly the first time i have heard that they have heat problems, in fact its normally the opposite that's said or concluded after comparison or lab tests that i have read.

I have ridden European Enduro gravity events using R1's where i could be almost constantly descending for two hours or even more, and i have never had any over heating issues.
    In fact many of the top Enduro riders, including Remy Absalon who is a Euro Enduro Series winner and Mégavalanche Alpe d’Huez winner uses R1's on his Commencal's.

But your entitled to your own opinions, as that's what makes the world a more interesting place .

mtbr member
    Yep, everyone has an opininion. One thing you will find though, is that most people agree that the Avids are pretty much worthless. The only brake I've ever had cease up on a ride and not retract were avid elixir. Just to give my 2 cents, the old Magura Martas are very hard to beat. Just got a pair the new MT8's to try out. Hope they are better than the R1's, as I really didn't like them. R1's have great modulation, but to me, they just don't have the stopping power I like to feel.

mtbr member
    It seems that my brake problems are a common problem. I have now booked the bike on with Evans here in the UK. They said they should be able to sort it out under warranty. My front brake works Brilliantly so guess if they van get the back one like that I will have no problems with keeping them. To me it is not whether or not things go wrong (as they always do), it is the manner in which the problem is resolved that is most important.

mtbr member
    Ok, the saga continues. I dropped my bike off at Evans in the UK to have the faulty break looked at under warranty. They now tell me that even though the faulty parts are covered under warranty, they will have to charge me £35 for labour (their standard break service charge). After arguing that I should not have to pay anything if the break is faulty (which it is), I had to agree to the charge as they said it was standard practice with Cannondale and other manufacturers not to pay for labour on warranty issues!
    What is the point of having a warranty if you end up coughing up money to have things put right!
    I would appreciate some advice on what I can do about this as it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth!

Ridin' dirty!
    Ok, the saga continues. I dropped my bike off at Evans in the UK to have the faulty break looked at under warranty. They now tell me that even though the faulty parts are covered under warranty, they will have to charge me £35 for labour (their standard break service charge). After arguing that I should not have to pay anything if the break is faulty (which it is), I had to agree to the charge as they said it was standard practice with Cannondale and other manufacturers not to pay for labour on warranty issues!
    What is the point of having a warranty if you end up coughing up money to have things put right!
    I would appreciate some advice on what I can do about this as it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth!
    That is BS or as you guys would say, "rubbish"......
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Yep, standard procedure. The shop should lose $ installing new parts for you? What did they do that requires them to lose $ on this situation? Warranty covers the part, not the labor. Any shop I ever worked in, you break a frame/part, you get a new one free, and pay for the rebuild/install.

If you'd prefer to have to buy the new replacement brake, over being given one, I'm sure that the manufacturer would be delighted to take you up on your offer.

If you are a great customer, and the shop knows you, and they feel like being nice, sure, they can opt to do it for free as a perk to you, but labor is not part of warranty. Never was, never will be.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Ok, I guess that is the way they do it in cycling. In my opinion, this is not a proper warranty. It is a good job that the car industry does not operate on the same principal! Bike manufacturers are conning their customers and making them pay for substandard components or assembly!

At the end of the day, it is only costing me £35 so i can live with it, but it has been caused by Cannondale selling a bike that is not fit for purpose.

altazo
    So, is Evans in the UK where you purchased the bike, or just the closest Cannondale dealer?

mtbr member
    The closest dealer. The place where I purchased the bike is about 100 miles away.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, standard procedure. The shop should lose $ installing new parts for you? What did they do that requires them to lose $ on this situation? Warranty covers the part, not the labor. Any shop I ever worked in, you break a frame/part, you get a new one free, and pay for the rebuild/install.

If you'd prefer to have to buy the new replacement brake, over being given one, I'm sure that the manufacturer would be delighted to take you up on your offer.

If you are a great customer, and the shop knows you, and they feel like being nice, sure, they can opt to do it for free as a perk to you, but labor is not part of warranty. Never was, never will be.
    I never heard that...especially after only 3 months...so if a Lefty breaks after 3 months, the customer needs to pay for a complete rebuild only because an o-ring busted?
    The only time I heard of labor costs is when parts were swapped over to a new frame in case of a frame failure....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    This form of "parts only" warranty is something i have only ever come across in the bicycle world. But in fairness its the not fault of the bicycle dealers, as in the auto trade for example, the manufactures reimburse the dealers for warranty workshop time.

But i have found over the years that many shops and dealers try to take advantage of this situation. I'm currently going through a frame replacement warranty claim with Evans Cycles, and they stated that their would be a fee of £120 ($240) to build-up the new frame when they get it.

But the real annoyance came when i said to them that they better put on my account that i don't require them to build it, as i have all the tools (and knowledge) to do the job myself. But a pair of Evans employees then tried to argue that they 'would' in fact 'need' to build it, as the bottom bracket and headtube would need to be "tooled and skimmed"..
    They clearly had no clue what they were talking about, as was confirmed by the looks on there faces when I pointed out that my replacement (Cannondale) frame will be BB30 and have bonded headset cups, which need no preparation of that type.
    Last edited by chick0; 10-10-2011 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had quite the experience with Avid myself, I had Elixir 5's on my Rush, the rear brake did the same thing you described. I sent the brake back to the point of purchase(mail order) and 4 weeks later I received a new brake. I started having the same problem again!! I was pissed so I called Avid in Chicago,( found the number on the box) and a very nice woman named Alana helped out tremendously. She sent new Elixir 9's, front and rear, so they would match, to my LBS, and paid to have them installed! I walked out of there free and clear. I could'nt have asked for anything more. She said there was an issue with the lever assembly or something. I also had a replacement frame under warranty and the bike shop charged $160.00 to swap the parts over, fair I thought.

mtbr member
    My whole experience is going from bad to worse. Evans initially came back after looking at the brake and said that the rubbing is due to the RZ having a superlight frame with flex. After I had stopped laughing and explained that the bike never did it when purchased they said that they had done all they are willing to do and would need an extra £50 to send it to avid! They then went on to say that they had phoned avid and that there are no problems with these brakes at all.

I am now going to post the brake to where I purchased the bike and get them to deal with it. This means that I am without a brake for a few weeks.

Something that should be so simple has turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    I never heard that...especially after only 3 months...so if a Lefty breaks after 3 months, the customer needs to pay for a complete rebuild only because an o-ring busted?
    The only time I heard of labor costs is when parts were swapped over to a new frame in case of a frame failure....
    Basically, that's what you're talking about here. A part is faulty, and is being removed and reinstalled by the dealer, who, coincidentally, didn't even sell the person the bike in the first place, so it stands to reason that they should be reimbursed. They are taking the time to call, deal with, receive, call the customer when it arrives, install the part, adjust it properly, assume the responsibility when it fails again etc, and that isn't all free for them, just for the record....

The case you speak of with the Lefty is different. It would be sent back to Cannondale to be reworked, at Cannondales expense. I'm guessing that most dealers will charge for labor to remove and reinstall, as well as ship the fork to Cannondale. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what most dealers do in my experience.

We need to remember, in this case, it doesn't have a lick to do with Cannondale. It is an Avid part. Any manufacturer of bikes will be in the same boat. They may try to help with your warranty Shimano, Campy, Avid etc part, but most of the time they will have you (the dealer) work with the maker of said part, they just made the frame and bolted the parts on. The part maker is better suited to dealing with their own stuff, anyway, for any number of reasons. See DonMAc's post for what I'm referring to.

The OP apparently isn't willing to make the trip to his original dealer, or to call them, and work out arrangements to remove it himself, ship it to them, and reinstall a new one when it arrives. He seems to have wanted the expedient route, where he had the least down time,and a minimum of hassle to himself, this, will cost him money.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Ok, thought I would bring this whole episode to a close.
    I sent the break back to where I purchased the bike (Paul's Cycles). It cost me £2. They immediately sent it back to Avid because they agreed it was faulty. Avid then replaced the calliper under warranty as the pistons were not working correctly. The whole process took 2 weeks and I could not fault the level of service or the outcome from Paul's and Avid.
    What have I learnt from this whole episode?
    1. That a warranty is not really a warranty ( it only covers parts)
    2. That a certain bike shop does not know what it is talking about regarding technical faults.
    3. That a certain bike shop will charge stupid amounts of money to send a brake to a manufacturer when it really costs peanuts.
    4. That bike shops are reluctant and scared to address warranty issues unless they sold you the bike (or can make money from the customer).

I accept that I have made mistakes with the way I have handled the problems that I have had, however, my dealings with a certain large store in The UK will mean that I will never use them again.