Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Warning Warning Warning

I'm sure eveyone knows about the Lefty recall but PLEASE get it checked out immediately if you have one that is part of the recall. A guy on my team had his fork completely seperate into 2 pieces on him yesterday in a race. Luckily he was going fairly slow at the time or it could have been a very very bad situation.

I will put pics up later today when my friend gets them to me. They are disturbing for Lefty owners.

mad aussie
    Given that the recall has been out for a while, why was he racing a fork that hadnt been checked?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Given that the recall has been out for a while, why was he racing a fork that hadnt been checked?
    How would he know? 95% of the riders out there don't know what MTBR is. They don't look for recalls on their bike parts. Cannondale has no real way of sending owners a notice. Bike shops have trouble pumping up tires let alone informing past purchasers of recalls.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Given that the forks are now a featured national news story, Good Morning America stuff, I don't think it will be long before most of the rest know. I had several customers who's Mom's called them, "did you know about this, Oprah did...." that sort of thing. Very bad, the worst kind of exposure to get, if you ask me.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    How would he know? 95% of the riders out there don't know what MTBR is.
    Good point.

One thing a Cannondale could do is send out a mailing (or e-mailing) to all those who registered the potentially affected bikes on their site. But then again, 95% of people probably don't do this either.

Another option is that Cannondale could have crafted an e-mail message or produced postcards for the shops to send out to affected customers. But then that's assuming that all shops have sortable databases, whereby they can obtain the affected customers' information quickly and easily.

I don't know how customer information is stored and retrieved in the bike industry. But the basic idea would be to try to find a way similar to how car companies issue recall notices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did actually recieve a letter from Cannondale about three weeks ago, but I guess I was one of the 5% that actuall registered my bike.

I took it in last week, they did it while I waited only took about 20 minutes.The mech that did it said out of all of them they had in for the recall only one of them was "looser than they would like to see". It's certainly not worth taking a chance on though.

mad aussie
    The difference is that racers tend to be, or should be,more aware of their equipment. We keep a database of contact information of all the people who buy bikes from us, but I guess not all shops do this. Perhaps there need to be better requirements from manufacturers for contact information on purchasers. Its not like recalls are a Cannondale only issue.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    How would he know? 95% of the riders out there don't know what MTBR is. They don't look for recalls on their bike parts. Cannondale has no real way of sending owners a notice. Bike shops have trouble pumping up tires let alone informing past purchasers of recalls.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got a 2005 Cannondale Prophet Lefty Max, is that on the recall or a newer version? I've not had a letter or heard anything?!?

Should I be worried?
    Carl.

mtbr member

No....

...Because the recall does not affect the lefty maxes. You're fine

mtbr member
    Where is there information on this recall?

mtbr member
    recalled in may:

http://www.cannondalecommunity.com/d...sp?item=259273

Bethel, CT—Cannondale has voluntarily issued a Safety Recall Notice with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The products affected include any 2007 and some 2008 mountain bikes equipped with either Lefty Speed Carbon SL or Lefty Speed DLR 2 forks. If your bike is equipped with one of these forks, stop riding the bike immediately and take it to your Cannondale dealer for required service.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007