mtbr member

Smile Want to setup a Rush for racing

Bought a 2007 rush frame lately, any suggestions on what components to use? I primarily want to use it for xc racing. your suggestion is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well depends on your budget, but i run an xt with xtr rear der mix (dual control with top normal), ritchey WCS carbon bars, thompson post, selle SLR saddle and eggbeaters, with the stock mavic 117 wheels she comes in at 12.7kg for an XL aluminium frame im very happy with performance and affordability (eBay) but new wheels would make my day! that and a carbon lefty....

mtbr member
    So do you just have the frame, or the fork as well? Main question is what's the budget!? Then we can go from there

mtbr member
    I got the Rush frame only . Im deciding if to put a lefty or fox fork . I basically want to set it up to run faster uphill . Is it ok to put flat bar with bar ends on a rush? that woudl set up may seating to race position. Also plan to spend 2k for parts upgrades. If this was your frame, how what parts will you put in

Cannondale Snob
    Lefty Carbon 110
    Mavix CrossMax SLR (or equivalent)
    Carbon SI crankset
    Thompson Masterpiece seatpost
    XT Dual-Control shifters and hydraulic brakes, XT Derailuers

You want to focus your weight-savings on things that rotate. The lighter the rotating mass, the easier and to get it spinning.

I prefer a riser bar on this bike, though I cut an inch off each end to help it fit between trees. YMMV
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I set up my Rush to race. I have flat bars on my rush (no bar ends) so yes, fine to do it. The wheel will make a big difference. I got Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels set up with tubeless tires- WOW they are light!!! I also have his rotors, but don't use them in every race, only ones which don't have LONG decents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Lefty Carbon 110
    Mavix CrossMax SLR (or equivalent)
    Carbon SI crankset
    Thompson Masterpiece seatpost
    XT Dual-Control shifters and hydraulic brakes, XT Derailuers

You want to focus your weight-savings on things that rotate. The lighter the rotating mass, the easier and to get it spinning.

I prefer a riser bar on this bike, though I cut an inch off each end to help it fit between trees. YMMV
    That could blow the budget!
    I agree with almost all that, I'd go the
    Lefty Carbon SL or DLR2 (price dependent)
    Mavic SLR
    Thomson Masterpiece (only way to go)
    XTR '07 Shifters (Trigger not Dual control)
    Formula Oro brakes 160mm rotors (any of the oro's really price dependent, but the puro's if you can)
    XTR front & rear derailleurs
    XTR or Si Crankset (price dependent)
    Syntace carbon bar
    Fizik Aliante Ti saddle (or similar personal preference really but I like Fizik)
    Grips I like lock on either Syntace moto or ODI Ruffian (personal preference I have both)
    Tyres Maxxis Crossmarks or hutchinson ( REALLY personal preference here!)
    That's about all I can think of,
    Good luck, and depending on where you live there are some really good online shops for all this stuff
    Hmm looking back that might blow the budget as well!!

mtbr member
    hi,

whats a perfect tire for cross country racing? whats your suggested brand and size? can you elaborate why you like it?

mtbr member

Tire Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by leadpack
    hi,

whats a perfect tire for cross country racing? whats your suggested brand and size? can you elaborate why you like it?
    I agonize over tire choice for xc racing as do many others. You will find much discussion of this in the xc racing forum. Many people like the Kenda kharma DTC 2.0. Other notables are some of the Schwalbe tires, stans crows (either love em or hate em) and Nokian Nobby Nics. I have not tried them all, but my personal favorites are panaracer razors 2.1 on the front, 2.3 on the back set up with stans on tubless rims. These are light high volume tires that do well in the sand and sand over hard pack, and baby head rock; which is what I mainly ride on

Good luck, but I think this is an endless quest that depends on riding ability and terrain

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    I agonize over tire choice for xc racing as do many others. You will find much discussion of this in the xc racing forum. Many people like the Kenda kharma DTC 2.0. Other notables are some of the Schwalbe tires, stans crows (either love em or hate em) and Nokian Nobby Nics. I have not tried them all, but my personal favorites are panaracer razors 2.1 on the front, 2.3 on the back set up with stans on tubless rims. These are light high volume tires that do well in the sand and sand over hard pack, and baby head rock; which is what I mainly ride on

Good luck, but I think this is an endless quest that depends on riding ability and terrain
    Nobby Nics are actually made by Schwalbe too.
    If you mostly ride in dry conditions YOU HAVE to try the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs!! Those tires rock!
    Don't listen to riders who complain about them.....They just CAN'T READ I GUESS. You can't expect a lightweight racing only tires to withstand crazy downhill courses or AM riding.
    The Schwalbe website actually says that the sidewalls on these tires aren't meant for excessive abuse and that they're for racing applications only. I had these tires for a while now and if you run the CORRECT pressure it is unbelievable how they hook and how predictable they are.
    They're really light and roll damn fast too.
    This is a tire that you see being used in Europe a lot and Schwalbe is one of the few manufacturer's that actually uses real rubber instead of synthetic crap.
    The Racing Ralph uses a Triple compound which works really great.
    If you lock up your rear wheel a lot and skid this tire is not for you.
    If you actually know how to control your bike you'll be amazed by these tires.
    Gosh... just thinking of these tires makes me wanna get my bike and go for a ride now....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V