YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland

I went over to Frauenfeld yesterday to get my Lefty worked on by Silvio Crameri at Eighty-Aid. I had called him last week and he said come on over and he could fix it while I wait and under warranty. I'm from the US but I visit in-laws in Liechtenstein every summer.

The drive over was easy and Silvio was able to tear down and rebuild my damper cartridge plus do a couple of other nice things while everything was apart. I asked about tuning since that seems to be a big part of what they're known for and he said the biggest thing is adjusting shims on the races to get as little drag, as looses a fit, as possible without introducing slop. He's got all the factory sizes and will even hand grind a shim if things are in-between spec'ed parts. Also just getting your fork cleaned out and checked over after 20 hours break-in was a pretty nice luxury.

Silvio found a slice in one of the o-rings that had allowed some oil loss. Plus we found a little piece of plastic floating around in the boot lefter over from original assembly. I got a new boot because the original one was sorta deformed, not cosmetically perfect. Also of course he changed out lot's of o-rings as part of the service. As another bikeshop owner here in Liechtenstein told me yesterday after my 88+ visit, a lot of times you can't always see anything wrong with an o-ring but usually putting new ones is just makes things work better.

Silvio was very cool, let me chat with him and watch the whole time he was doing the work. He's had the shop for about 10-12 years, but this is a new location, and has been working on Lefties almost as long. The bike store is also amazing, indoor bike wash, fantastic work and storage areas, huge, beautiful showroom, and Silvio's fork maintenance shop/office has the look of a Swiss operating room. I've got some more photo's I'll post up in a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-pedalerie.jpg  

A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-silvio-crameri.jpg  

A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-eighty-aid.jpg  

Last edited by YB1; 08-19-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Silvio's fork lab/office is pretty impressive. Pretty well equipped with Lefty parts, a lathe, work stand, and just about any tool you could imagine needing to work on these forks. We talked about how Cannondale develops new Lefties all the time, on the one hand it's great because the thing is constantly improved, but he agreed it's hard to understand how having 12 or more different Lefties in production every year, with constant changes, can be cost effective. We also were in agreement that handle bar lockout is not something we'd want on a SL XC racefork, though of course could be useful in applications where weight is less of a factor. To me it's cockpit clutter. Also we agreed that not having a travel reduction feature for climbs on the long travel forks is an area where Cannondale has really missed the boat, it's a very useful feature on a bike that is setup for downhilling but has to be peddaled up.

So back to the story... The bike shop looked like an old car dealership or something but it was really spacious and nice. It's a new location they've been in for almost a year. Frauenfeld is not a huge town so finding such a big shop there was kind of surprising. But the thing is Electric bikes are becoming big over here and it's the bike shops that are servicing the market. Everybody over 60 who can afford one wants one, it's the perfect thing in a hillly, densely populated country, with aware car drivers. I'm sure Lance's shop is cool but I like this one better. Flyer, Cannondale, and Specialized were the main brands, and then some smaller Swiss labels.

I know Mendon Cycle Smith can do comperable work on Lefties but I'm glad I had a chance to get my fork worked on over here. If you send your fork to Cannondale, I know they usually do a fine job but it's sort of impersonal. Eighty-Aid does warranty work and I assume Mendon does as well. After seeing the guts of one, I'd say these forks are worth taking care of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-electric-bikes.jpg  

A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-showroom.jpg  

A visit to Eighty-Aid in Switzerland-fork-lab.jpg  

Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice post, is that your bike on the stand with the Ergon grips.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yep it's mine. In the Flash thread there's a bunch of images and some descriptions.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member

88+

We just got(couple of weeks) from Germany 88+ clinic 2 Leftyes, 2010 Max 140 PBR.
    Service was raelly the best ive ever had in any shop, and tuned leftyes are the dream forks.
    Thanks to Markus Dellinger
    www.eighty-aid.com, Germany

able style="width:194px;">
http://picasaweb.google.fi/s/c/trans...background.gif) no-repeat left">
2010-07
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser