mtbr member

Variable travel on a 2002 Lefty ELO

I've always wondered what the variable travel in the specs of my 2002 Jekyll 3000 means, "HeadShok Lefty ELO, variable travel" can anybody enlighten me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Also, does anyone know if you can get replacement decals for this bike, especially the Made In USA on the swingarm, mine has totally come off. If I can get a whole new set, I might polish the bike up like new and restore with all new decals.

mtbr member
    I think you need to put a shim inside the fork which will limit or extend the trval.......its not an external adjustment........

As for decals.......id like the same ones also...(Full set)....mine have worm a little due to pollishing.......

I emailed Cannondale a while ago....and they told me they dont supply them as there so thin to apply yourself..............

mtbr member
    yeah I was told it was too old to get stock. So you have the same bike? When you say limit or extend the travel do you know from what to what? eg is it like converting a 110mm lefty to 80mm for 29er? I'm pretty sure mine is running around 100mm

mtbr member
    I run a 2002 Goodboy 30th aniversery.....Same frame and fork as a 3000....

Item 1...Travel reducers............... HD010/ Kit, Spacers-Lefty Travel Reducers; 2 - 10mm spacers«

Last edited by qwackers; 08-09-2007 at 05:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Ahh.. very good, that's what I wanted to know! So the next question is, what is the max travel of my fork, so without pulling it apart I can work out if it has any reducers or not. Thanks!

mtbr member
    100mm without reducers...80mm with.......there was non on mine when i changed the batterie...

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't think there are on mine either. What size frame do you have? the reason I ask is I'm nearly due to change the tires currently on Maxxis Larsen TT LUST 2.0 but was thinking of trying something else, and on the medium I have almost no clearance on the top of the rear swing arm. the middle of the tire is about 2-3mm away! Any ideas on a good replacement?

mtbr member
    I have a Medium frame............i stick with Hutchinson USTs.......26x2.0.....the tire clearence it very tight as you say .............Scorpions for wet and pythons for dry flat hardpack is what i use.....

LA CHÈVRE
    Good luck finding Scorpions nowadays. Dry hardpack, Pythons or Maxxis CrossMark (the CrossMark are a tad bigger than the Larsen though) and for more varied conditions, I liked my Hutchinson Bulldog for the rear. The 2.1 are not too wide, are as light as Pythons (from my experience, both Tubeless Light), roll quite fast but can manage some mud and wetness that the Pythons don't like. It's not as good as a front tire, a good combo would be a Bulldog 2.1 rear and a Barracuda 2.1 for the front. The Barracuda is a great front tire with powerful side cornering knobs, rolls a bit slower than the Bulldog though...

By default, the Lefty should be set at it's full 100mm travel.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    My LBS here has the Scorpions http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=27&page=2
    I'm pretty sure he had a good deal going on them, cheaper than what the website says.
    Maybe I should try to get the Maxxis Monorail, any idea when that will be available?
    All that said though, if the Scorpions are available and if price is not a factor what would be the best way to go? It's reasonably dry where I ride but you do get the muddy days and I my Larsens just get bogged up! plus I want something a bit more confident in the corners than the Larsen. Maybe the two tone Hutchinson will look sweet!

LA CHÈVRE
    The Monorails were made at the request of Cannondale for OEM use, not sure if they will be available aftermarket... not right away anyway.

And personally, I really hate two color tires, looks very 'department store', tires should be black! But then again, they all turn out dirty so...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think you might be right on the two tone front, when I got this bike the silver had gone yellow and the tires needed replacing so I've been running all black ever since, seeing the Cannondale photo above made me feel all nostalgic and I thought, hmm maybe they wont be as bad as I remember. So do you like the Maxxis or the Hutchinsons better, my natural replacement choice are the Crassmarks.