Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579

    Using bb30 voids your warranty...?!

    Pulled from the ask Brad blog:

    "Response: Hey Big Tom. Any frames that has a BB30 designation, are BB30 compatible. With that being said, any of our BB30 frames can have an adapter pressed in to use a regular 68mm english threaded bottom bracket (like Shimano spec'd BB30 frames). The only catch is once you press these adapters into carbon frames, removing them (in order to install BB30) may void your warranty. Secondly, check with you're dealer on a frameset, but you may have to wait until the 2009 models. Lastly, check with FSA, Zipp, and any other manufacturer hopping on the BB30 bandwagon to see if they have 180mm lengths available. I hope this helped. BRAD"

    So, what now? If I get a rize and want to swap out to a bb30 crank later, too bad for me? wtf?

  2. #2
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    As far as I know, the Rize has an alloy BB shell so the adaptor could be taken off...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  3. #3
    Avenger of Evil
    Reputation: 1440Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    any of our BB30 frames can have an adapter pressed in to use a regular 68mm english threaded bottom bracket (like Shimano spec'd BB30 frames). The only catch is once you press these adapters into carbon frames, removing them (in order to install BB30) may void your warranty.
    Sounds to me as if Cannondale is saying that If you install a proper BB30 bottom bracket into a BB30 compatible frame, you have a warranty. If you were to "modify" a carbon frame by using an adapter to install a standard bottom bracket, for which it was not designed, this would void your warranty. Sounds good to me.
    Use the BB30 bottom bracket ..... no worries.
    Are you looking to go to 180mm cranks?
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    The warranty is still good if you install the adaptor, the problem is if you take it off...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    Avenger of Evil
    Reputation: 1440Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The warranty is still good if you install the adaptor, the problem is if you take it off...
    Got it.

    BTW How do they know if the adapter has been installed, and then removed.
    I still say use the proper BB30 bottom bracket.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    Got it.

    BTW How do they know if the adapter has been installed, and then removed.
    I still say use the proper BB30 bottom bracket.
    Loop hole!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •