mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The used Lefty market, pricing question

I was bidding on an '06 Lefty Max on eBay for the past week or so. I missed out on winning by $5 because the auction ended at 2:30am my time and I just set my max price and hoped for the best.

It was allegedly in good condition, and I put my max bid at $480 plus shipping. I actually had no idea if that was a wacky price or not.

If one pops up again, a 2005-2007 Lefty Max, what is a good range for a typical selling price on these? I want to put it on a Pugsley and I can pay to get the internals rebuilt, but I'm just lost on what I should be paying for one. Thanks!
    Last edited by XJaredX; 02-22-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it's in good shape, that's what the "open" market seems to have gotten to.

I have a buddy that does some sort of RS feed for CL, and he finds all manner of stuff much cheaper. Not being a tech guy, I can't tell you much more than that.

At the end of the day, it's what you feel like paying, to get what you want. The 2005+ Maxes do seem to get a premium due to being current gut convertible. A new fork with PBR is going to run you $800 ish, so I'd use that as a reference point.

Call Cannondale, tell them to start making fat Leftys. If they hear it often enough, maybe they'll finally listen to my whiny a$$......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Craig, that helps- I had a feeling that because they are upgradable that would affect their resale value. I have a WTB thread on my local mtb board, an eBay alert, I suppose I should start with a craigslist scanner too.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    entering "cannondale lefty site:craigslist.org" into google will search all of craigslist for any ads mentioning cannondale and lefty.

I sold a 2006 DLR2 110mm for about $200 on ebay. I saw one go for $300 the week before. It was in need of a rebuild though. I then picked up a PBR 130mm (the one in the DLR2 chassis) for $300 locally. Usually they go for a lot more though, and it all depends on the model. Lots of people seem to want the max/adjustable crown model now that you can PBR and fatbike them. The bonded clamp chassis are easier to convert to 1.125" though...so who knows!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For future people who might see this thread, aside from Craigslist and eBay (eBay being ridiculous lately for pricing, possibly because of the fatbike popularity), I posted a want ad on Pinkbike and had 3 very reasonable offers within days, one of which I jumped on. About half the price of what they're going for on eBay.

So yeah, a want ad on here and Pinkbike is the way to go I think! And Craigslist. The problem with Craigslist is I mostly saw complete bikes- but thanks, sandwich, because I imagine if I would have searched Craigslist nationwide (didn't know I could do that) I could have turned up more!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy