mtbr member

Upgrading my 00 Jekyll 3000SX

After a recent demo ride at China Camp in Marin, I went ahead and picked up a used 00 Jekyll 3000sx for a good price. It doesn't seem to have the same travel as the 04 Jekyll 2000 that I tested - I was wondering what I could do to up the travel on both ends to the 2004 Jekyll standards, if that's even possible? I think we're looking at around 4" to 5"

These Coda brakes aren't the greatest either. I hope they feel a little stronger after some bleeding, as the Avid Mechanicals on my GT were vicious!

I picked up the Jekyll as I do mostly XC riding, but am looking to improve my DH and Freeride skillset over the next year or so - it just seemed like a great, lightweight bike that can do everything, with some neat engineering features that appeal to gearheads with motorcycle backgrounds like myself

Are you talking to me?

You are right.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    After a recent demo ride at China Camp in Marin, I went ahead and picked up a used 00 Jekyll 3000sx for a good price. It doesn't seem to have the same travel as the 04 Jekyll 2000 that I tested - I was wondering what I could do to up the travel on both ends to the 2004 Jekyll standards, if that's even possible? I think we're looking at around 4" to 5"

These Coda brakes aren't the greatest either. I hope they feel a little stronger after some bleeding, as the Avid Mechanicals on my GT were vicious!

I picked up the Jekyll as I do mostly XC riding, but am looking to improve my DH and Freeride skillset over the next year or so - it just seemed like a great, lightweight bike that can do everything, with some neat engineering features that appeal to gearheads with motorcycle backgrounds like myself
    Your frame has 4.5" of wheel travel. The new frames have 5.3" of travel. I am not sure if the new shock (longer stroke) will work with the new front triangle. I know the longer shock and the 03 frame will work with the older swingarm. This is about the only way to increase wheel travel.
    You might check the shock board for Push industries shock platform upgrades. They are at www.pushindustries.com and are worth checking out.

You are right about the Coda brakes. You might call Cannondale and see if they are offering a brake upgrade program. They were a while back, i think. If not, bite the bullet and get some new brakes. Avid, Hayes and Magura make 4 bolt rotors that will fit your hubs.

What fork is on the bike? Is it a Lefty?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Your current model is with 4.5" of rear travel, the new models have 5.35" and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing you can do to change this, short of buying a new frame.