mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Upgrading the front fork on Cannondale 29er

I have a beginner question, i picked up my Cannondale SL4 29er last week. It hasn't taken long to see that an upgrade to the front fork will be one of the first upgrades.

What considerations do I need to know when looking for a fork that will work? Will any 29er fork work on this bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading the front fork on Cannondale 29er-dsc_0011.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you don't put a Lefty on that thing I'm gonna haunt you for eternity.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Ya, what he said!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Honestly I would never put a Lefty worth more then 1000$ in a 799 $ bike. Not that I dont like the lefty but for 1799 he would have gotten a Flash 29er 2, which would in the end be cheaper then the upgrade, and would have the benefit of better components as well in generell.

A Manitou Minute 29er can be had for 349 $, with decent function, maybe an RS Reba. Both should fit, maybe you'll need another headset.

I know we are in Cannondale forum, nevertheless I dont see the benefit of a lefty on that bike.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Not what he said!
    Lefty's can be found on "sale-used" websites if you look hard enough.
    Mendon just rebuilt my second Lefty and I could not be happier. Two Leftys under $350. One on a Carver ($399 frame ), one on a small superV (Frame I could not give away!).
    Look for a Lefty.

mtbr member
    I have a Cannondale 29er with a Reba on it. If the fork that is on there has a straight 1-1/8inch steer tube it won't be an issue, you'll just need to have the crown race switched from the old fork to the new.

For the record, my frame is an 09 made in the USA frame that didn't come with a lefty. I did lots of reading before hand and decided the lefty wasn't for me at this time. Maybe on another bike in the future.

MTB B'dos
    Looks to be a tapered steerer (internal top cup and external bottom cup would indicate that), so he'll need to be looking for a tapered steerer fork and as said any of the RS Rebas, Manitou Tower, Fox forks will work. Looks to be a 100m travel fork, so you could possibly go as much as 120mm without screwing up the geo to much or putting unddue stress on the HT - but confirm with your shop first. BTW, what's wrong with that fork? Have no clue what it is, never seen it before (guessing some Cdale OEM). Is it diving? Not stiff and deflecting of obstacles? What gives.

As to the Lefty's anyone have aline on one that can convert up or be used for a 29er with 120mm travel let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L
    I have a Cannondale 29er with a Reba on it. If the fork that is on there has a straight 1-1/8inch steer tube it won't be an issue, you'll just need to have the crown race switched from the old fork to the new.

For the record, my frame is an 09 made in the USA frame that didn't come with a lefty. I did lots of reading before hand and decided the lefty wasn't for me at this time. Maybe on another bike in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As to the Lefty's anyone have aline on one that can convert up or be used for a 29er with 120mm travel let me know.
    Officially, none exist.

The closest you could get would be a 140 limited down. If you personally verify that your wheel/tire combo won't clash with the crown, you can likely remove a spacer, but that safety choice is on you.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

MTB B'dos
    As far as I knew that was the answer, just wanted to confirm. Since you seem to be "Mr.Lefty" I guess when I'm ready I'll contact you about finding one I'm no e-bayer, so I don't even go there. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Officially, none exist.

The closest you could get would be a 140 limited down. If you personally verify that your wheel/tire combo won't clash with the crown, you can likely remove a spacer, but that safety choice is on you.....

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As far as I knew that was the answer, just wanted to confirm. Since you seem to be "Mr.Lefty" I guess when I'm ready I'll contact you about finding one I'm no e-bayer, so I don't even go there. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Nothing against paying retail, but eBay is a good option actually. Since these forks are so rebuildable if damaged, so cheaply (relative to other options on the market), they are a good score used.

Find an older Max 140 FFD/TPC/SPV and do a PBR conversion, sick fork once you're done....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

MTB B'dos
    Cool, again thanks for the info. Might have to use your knowledge if I can get my friend convinced to take the MTB off the racks and do some trail instead of road as his Lefty last time I looked at it was in pretty bad shape - he doesn't do maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Nothing against paying retail, but eBay is a good option actually. Since these forks are so rebuildable if damaged, so cheaply (relative to other options on the market), they are a good score used.

Find an older Max 140 FFD/TPC/SPV and do a PBR conversion, sick fork once you're done....