mtbr member

Upgrading Feminine F6--Worth it?

Hi riders, I've got a question and I need your inputs.

Recently I've been searching for a bike for my wife, and found the 08' F6 feminine. I know it's not the best bike in the world, but it MAY have the best color in the world for her. Anyway, my question is:

Is it worth the hassle to upgrade an F6?

I'm upgrading my 07' Rush 5 and plan to use the old parts on her bike, such as rear wheel, crank, front and rear derailleurs, triggers, and brake systems. I can get a very very good deal on the front fork for her (Rock Shox SID or Reba, or Fox), and I'll get a suspension seatpost as well. The total cost should be below $1100.

I know the F6 is made in China, so I wonder how it differs from the US-made frames, weight- and material-wise?

We live in Florida and she will probably ride light XC only.

Let me know what you think! Thanks a lot!!

mtbr member
    Seems F6 can't make a hot topic.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I suspect most C'dale "nuts" lose interest when you start talking about frames from Asia. The unique frames (and shocks) were the main differentiator. IMHO, you're better off with a Trek in this price point....at least there are lots of dealers should you need help. Because of the scarce C'dale dealers, you have to really WANT the unique features of a Cannondale for it to make sense to buy one.

No offense intended, that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    I suspect most C'dale "nuts" lose interest when you start talking about frames from Asia. The unique frames (and shocks) were the main differentiator. IMHO, you're better off with a Trek in this price point....at least there are lots of dealers should you need help. Because of the scarce C'dale dealers, you have to really WANT the unique features of a Cannondale for it to make sense to buy one.

No offense intended, that's just my opinion.
    I agree. Asian made framesets just do not float my boat.

mtbr member
    The F6 is a nice bike for the money. By just looking at the frames, there aren't any noticable differences among the U.S. built and Taiwan (not China) built frames. The F6 uses the oversize headtube, plus it has cool hourglass seat stays. I think it is a very upgradable frame.

Also, I don't know about the "scarce Cannondale dealers" nonsense, but IMHO the F6 is very comparable to a similar priced Trek. Yea, the Trek might have upgraded components, but I still think the Cannondale frame is nicer.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Taiwan made frames are still good, the welds might be less smooth but it's still a great frame, go ahead. Treks are made in asia too anyway (as most bikes in that price range are) and the F6 is the perfect color!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    As far as I've read, the materials, geometry etc are the same for the the Taiwan and USA built frames.

The only difference I can see, is when I compare the welds (cosmetically) on my Prophet with my son's F6, the Prophet's are a little smoother. However, the Taiwanese welds are by no means "messy" looking, in fact, they still look a lot better than most of the other manufactures.

So, IMHO it's definately worthy of upgrading - my son plans on keeping it long term and doing just that.

One reason this might not be a "hot topic" at this point in time, is that the overseas manufacturing is new to Cannondale, and while everyone has an opinion on whether this is a good or bad thing (as evidenced in that other thread), we really won't now for sure if there are any quality/longevity issues/differences until a little more time passes.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Although I ride a US-made C'dale myself, I guess I'm not nuts enough about its place of birth

ZombieWV: Especially thank you for answering my question about the frame design & quality. I'm lucky to live very close to a C'dale dealer so service won't be a problem.

DG: You do read women's minds!!

Now another question arises: How does the caffeine technology affect the frame? The upper end F series bikes have it, but what difference does this tech bring to the riding experience?

mtbr member
    I went to the local LBS today after work and checked F6 again. Yes the only difference is the welds. Other than that, nothing to be picky about.

Thanks to all who replied. When I'm done upgrading my own Rush and my wife's I'll definitely post pictures.