mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Upgrading Coda Expert Brakes

Ok, I need some help, I want to upgrade my brakes from the Coda Experts that came on the bike, but my understanding is the rotors are either thicker or thinner then standard rotors and I will need to replace them too. Down side is their 4 bolt rotors. Has anyone had this issue ?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    You just need these.

Hope 4 Bolt Coda Fixed Rotor > Components > Brakes > Brake Rotors | Jenson USA

Not thicker or thinner, but 151 mm and 171 mm, so adapter spacing is non standard to todays, 160, 180, 200 etc world.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    This thread is a year old, but I am hoping someone will chime in. Assuming I can find a set of hope rotors, the bigger challenge seems to be finding the spacing adapters and deciding what brand hydraulic brakes to replace the CODA brakes. New knees,but no functional bike to ride. The seal went bad on the rear brake on my jekyl 900sx. Also the lefty front fork mount locations seem to add to the challenge.

Just a flesh wound
    Upgrading Coda Expert Brakes-2002_coda_expert_disc_brake_owners_manual_supplement_en.pdfMaybe this will offer some information.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakycrank View Post
    This thread is a year old, but I am hoping someone will chime in. Assuming I can find a set of hope rotors, the bigger challenge seems to be finding the spacing adapters and deciding what brand hydraulic brakes to replace the CODA brakes. New knees,but no functional bike to ride. The seal went bad on the rear brake on my jekyl 900sx. Also the lefty front fork mount locations seem to add to the challenge.
    Hi Creakycrank, try trickstuff.de for a coda 4 bolt rotor in a 160mm or 180mm then mounting should not be a problem. I just googled 4 bolt coda disk rotor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks. I will take a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakycrank View Post
    Congrats on the knees! I initially misread your post thinking you wanted to keep using the coda brakes, which is a vaguely horrifying thought. One of the worst MTB components I've ever encountered - so bad they were dangerous. Definitely upgrade these to something that stops the bicycle.

You've got an old bike on your hands there and I guess you need to decide whether you love it enough to spend the time making obsolete standards work. The second hand market is flooded with cheap 26 parts, though, so you could get a wheelset for buttons to solve your 4-bolt disk brake issue. Disk brake adapters are just simple machined blocks of aluminium, so another option would be to get one made up for the desired size - this might sound a bit exotic but many MTBers know people (or are themselves) on the tools, IME.