mtbr member
    May 2009

Upgrading Coda brakes on Jekyll 1000

I have a 2001 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty and original Coda hydraulic brakes. The rotors are a 4 bolt pattern and are 160mm (I think). I would like to upgrade the brakes preferably to the Avid BB7 and new rotors. The Avid rotors have a 6 bolt pattern. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for this upgrade?

Thanks

rebelssof@yahoo.com
    a2z still makes some 8 hole 160 mm rotors that will fit the Coda 4 bolt holes and you can special order some rotors from Hope in any bolt/diameter pattern that you you need.

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    I did this upgrade on my Jekyll 900sx awhile back. You are very lucky you got your to last so long. I went ahead and got new wheels too. You can find Lefty wheelsets all over ebay. I would buy brakes and wheels for the purpose of saving yourself a long term headache. If you only replace the brakes and then in a few months ruin a wheel then you will have to buy a new wheel and a new rotor, save yourself the trouble later and get all the right stuff now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you rebelssof and two6labs for the replies.

two6labs - Did you go with the BB7s on your Jekyll? Will they bolt on directly without an adapter? What size rotors did you use?

FYI: I just looked at my rotors and I believe the size is stamped on them. The front has a 171 and the rear has 151.

Thanks again!!

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    No, I went with Hayes Carbon brakes. I also bought a Lefty hub and then built myself a set of tubeless wheels. Man what a difference, I love my wheels and my brakes! I did have to do some spacing to make the front rotor work. The rotor rubbed on the brake caliper. It was real easy though, I just used some spare presta valve lockers. Worked great! Still works Great!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sealuvr69
    I have a 2001 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty and original Coda hydraulic brakes. The rotors are a 4 bolt pattern and are 160mm (I think). I would like to upgrade the brakes preferably to the Avid BB7 and new rotors. The Avid rotors have a 6 bolt pattern. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for this upgrade?

Thanks
    I upgraded the brakes on my 2000 F2000SL with Avid BB7. I did front and rear brakes and levers but left the Coda Expert rotors.