I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005

Upgrading a 2006 Rush 1000

Hey guys, looking for a little advice here. I'm doing XC races all summer, and I'm looking to make my Rush a little more weight friendly and shed some weight. I'll be on a pretty strict budget once I have my summer job, so just wondering what some of the most cost effective weight-loss parts I could get are to get the bike a little lighter for racing. By the way, the bike is stock except for the seat.
    Thanks for any help.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Cannondale Snob
    I have the exact same bike, and can tell you that the #1 place to lose weight on that bike is in the wheels and tires.

Mavic Crossland's are the OEM wheels and swapping them out for a set of SLRs will shed considerable weight.

Also, switching to a Stans system will also save weight and add reliability. Using a tubeless rim to start with simplifies things quite a bit. Your terrain will dictate the tires you use, and not all tires fair well with the Stans, so do some research there.

Other mods are less expensive, but shed less weight-per-dollar spent. For example: Thompson seatpost and carbon handlebars.

I run XT Dual-Control on both my bikes, and don't think you can get a better setup for the money. Integration makes it fairly light, while it's still a durable and quality product. They're also very easy to use!
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    I've a rush 1000 2006 as well.
    Risk - Mavic crossland are tubeless ready, but you're right - 1st thing to upgrade are the wheels. They will make the bike feel lighter. I would Consider building a custom pair (Stan's rims + some nice hubs) rather than get a crossmax pair - they are just too expensive to repair. Try getting a lighter cassette as well.
    2nd thing I might go with would be the crank.

My upgrades until now:
    Wheels - Tubeless converted Mavic 317, xt rear, lefty front. Lighter than the crosslands, cheaper to maintain.
    Crank - 2007 Truvativ stylo team (Lighter than the Afterburner)
    Bar - FSA OS190.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    oilerfan30,

I have a 2006 Rush 1000 that I upgraded with the following:
    - Easton Monkeylite carbon bars
    - Mavic SL wheels
    - XTR cassette
    - Thompson Masterpiece seat post
    - Cannondale integrated SI stem
    - Ti Fizik Niesine saddle (same as stock but Ti)
    - Ti eggbeater pedals (non-weight restriction ones)
    - 'Pushed' the Fox RP3
    - Lizard skins lock on grips
    - X9 shifters

All of these upgrades made a big improvement without any decreased reliability or strength reduction. In fact between the handle bars, seat post and wheels there was a big improvement in stiffness and control on rocky trails.

Check your PM.\

Tim.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    When I posted this, I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid the upgraded wheelset as the best upgrade. It's quite a bit of money, but I guess it's most likely better to upgrade the wheels for that cash and leave everything else stock for now, then to focus on a bunch of little things. I'll be keeping my eyes out for some deals on wheelsets.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    www.bikeride.ca

Ground Pounder
    You can save around 154g on a 11-32 XT cassette for $65 at JensonUSA.com. While you're there you can also pick up a Small Block 8 1.95 Rear and a Nevegal 1.95 (or 2.1 if you're larger) front. They'll save you considerable weight if you run them with light tubes or converted with Stans.

I avoid Stans, so what I do is race the expensive/small/not-so-grippy tires and switch them out for trail riding. I ride the wire beaded Serac 2.1s (really 1.95) that came with my Rush 800 on the rear and pop in a cheap, but nice, IRC Mibro 2.25 on the front.

Keep your wheels for the time being. The best bang for your buck upgrade is an XT cassette and new rubber. All rotating weight, where you'll feel it the most.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I'll look into the cassette. I would like to keep the tires I have though, I'm very happy with the performance and feel of the Crossmark's. I think if I do save up the cash, a new wheelset would be pretty nice. Saw a Lefty set of Spynergy's on ebay for around $700 lightly used. It's that, or a set of Crossmax eventually.
    www.bikeride.ca

Cannondale Snob
    I'd recommend riding/training on the same tires you race, especially if your race tires have less traction than your training tires. Otherwise, you'll never have a good feel for your bike during racing.

Yules- I know the Crosslands are UST, but they're still heavy. I'm too cheap to upgrade them and run Weirwolf 2.1 UST tires with Stans in them. It's not exactly a light wheel/tire combo, but I don't lose traction or get flats!
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs