MBAficionado
    May 2007

Upgrades for Rush 6...

Hi,

Looking to lighten & improve the performance of my Rush 6.

Considering a change of the rear shock to RP3. Was advised by my trail buddies to consider RP23 instead. Any merits to this? My intent for RP3 is to get a great-working shock in as light as possible & that i understand that RP23 is heavier (though newer) & that adjustments cannot be made on the fly unlike RP3?

Secondly, looking to change my front fork from Recon327 to either the '06 Fox RLT or '07 Reba Team. Which do you recommend? Read that RLT has leakage issue though it's stiffness & stability is top-class. Reba Team is one steady performance fork that just works...

Your opinions pls.

mad aussie
    One of the best things about the Rush is the frame is well worth upgrading. I dont believe that Fox makes the RP3 anymore. I would imagine any weight difference with the RP23 would be negiable (come on be honest, you couldnt measure or notice the difference with 20 grams!) I found the RP23 to be a great upgrade on my Rush. A team mate of mine tried it in place of the RP3 on his older Rush and commented that it was a lot smoother and the range of adjustment was greater.
    Regarding the Fork I think it would depend on your weight. A lighter rider could get away with a Reba, or if you dont ride very technical terrain. If you are heavier or ride more technical riding you might appreciate the stiffness of the Fox. I would also suggest looking out on E-bay or classifieds and look for a Lefty, fits straight onto the head tube (you would need new bearings) and would be stiffer than either fork at around the same weight.
    My other suggestion would be to spring for a new wheelset before you buy a new fork. The wheels and tires on low end bikes are notoriously heavy and you could easily save a couple of pounds for far less than the cost of a new fork.
    I saved 2 pounds off my Rush 600 after it came home by changing the seat/seatpost/handlebars and pedals out for lighter items.

Kevin

Kevin

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Appreciates your feedback, Kevin.

The first thing i did when i got my Rush was to change the wheelset to my custom-built DT4.1 with xtr '07 hubset. That difference is huge indeed. It also rule out a change to Lefty for the time being since Shimano will come out with a xtr-level Lefty hub only later in the year...

Oh, so RP3 is discontinued? Perhaps i can find some bargain! Else, it's RP23 or perhaps even other brands for the rear.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    You may also consider changing the crank and bottom bracket. The Truvativ Isoflow crank on the Rush 6 is quite heavy and "low-tech" square taper bottom bracket will start to wear out after several rough rides. Upgraded my Cannondale F300's crank from Isoflow and square taper bottom bracket to a Shimano Deore hollow tech crank w/ splined bottom bracket which although not significantly lighter, was a lot stiffer, tougher and transfered power noticibly better. If you can spring for it, upgrade to a Shimano XT crank. The Truvativ Stylo on my Spesh Epic works very well also.

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Thanks Gflash,

Those parts are taken care of! Together with the wheelset, they were changed the day i bought the bike. It's essentially to change the stock F&R shocks.

Cheers,

mad aussie
    The problem with aftermarket is the Rush takes a "odd" size edit: 7.5 eye to eye and a 1.75 stroke. Typically most shocks with the same length will have a 2" stroke, but that will put the tire into the seat tube.
    I heard of one local rider who put a Cane Creek cloud nine on his Rush, they used to do custom length/stroke shocks but I am not sure if they still offer this service. Their shocks are air sprung and air damped which would make me a little wary as I still remember the terrible damping characteristics of the Englund air cartridges!
    I dont think you could go wrong with a RP23, great damping and they seem to have the reliability part sorted out. edit: per Fox's website from RP2 (oem only) to RP23 you only gain 8 grams.
    If you are concerned with weight I dont think you could go wrong with a RS Reba set at 100 up front, I believe the Pace fork is lighter, but I would be concerned with US availability and parts.
    Sounds like a great bike. I put a lot of work into whittling mine down into the 25lb range, then decided to shed another 1 1/4 pound and went for the Scalpel.........

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    spring for a lefty!

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Just installed something relatively light, simple & dependable upfront to replace the RS Recon327: a Fox Float R with travel adjusted to 100mm. i like it...

The rear shock was offered a RP23 with eye-to-eye 19cm as is my current Radium, yet it's 2 stroke. Advisable to install it?

mad aussie
    Not advisable to install a 2" stroke shock, unless you want the rear tire bottoming out on the seat tube! You have two options, Push industries will reduce the stroke to 1.75" or you can get a shock from Cannondale.

Kevin