Thread: Upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2016

Upgrades

Hello everyone.
    I'm new to the mountain biking game and am looking for some input. I picked up a 2016 catalyst 2. I got it from a guy that rode it twice so it's basically a brand new bike and I have $350 in it. First off he put some specialized flat barsbars on it and changed the stem. I like the length of the stem but would still like to upgrade it to a better product. I'm not fond of having specialized bats on a Cannondale. So I'm wondering what is a good stem and bar set up for a beginner. The flat bar is fine with me but there may be a better option not sure. Next he had removed the pedals to put on another bike he had. I had a new set of plastics I was going to put on an old '50s Murray Monterey that I threw on there to get going. I know I want platform pedals as I don't like the idea of the clip less ones. And last would be the tires. Looking at wtb trail boss or continental trail king. Thanks in advance for any help. I attaches a pic of the bike Upgrades-20160527_191015.jpg

mtbr member
    Just ride it and get used to it before you dump a lot of money into it. If you need to change out stuff due to fit issues then do that, but don't do it for the sake of changing it. Would just be wasted money imo. I would think about clipless for they make things better when riding, especially climbing.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

Dirty triathlete
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    Just ride it and get used to it before you dump a lot of money into it. If you need to change out stuff due to fit issues then do that, but don't do it for the sake of changing it.
    Agree

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What type of terrain do you do most of riding on? This might influence tire choice.
    Another vote for clipless pedals. Other upgrades can wait until you get more comfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    It's mostly just rocky dort trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hey mate,
    Best money you could spend would be a mountain biking course. The skills you learn will make you enjoy the bike more than the equivalent money spent on upgrading parts.
    Don't rush to upgrade parts, ride your bike, really get to know it and learn which parts annoy you the most.
    IMO the best bang for buck upgrade is wait until you need new tires then go tubeless

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Agree with Searamp. Ride the tires on the bike until they wear out. Also, a riser bar is an inexpensive upgrade with payoff in an easier riding position and more control.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, cart before the horse is what everyone's basically saying. Sure, you want to get rid of that stem that says Specialized...but how do you know what one to get if you don't even know if this one will work right for your needs? Longer? Shorter? More/less rise?

And that is ONE PART.

Can't reiterate enough, ride first, learn the bike and get your skills going. Knowledge about what works/doesn't work will come with time as you get to know your limits and your bikes.

What you WILL want to focus on though as you're learning will be your points of contact and fit...seat, seat-post, bars/stem, pedals. Again, not right away. But you'll start figuring these things out sooner than later and getting these right will make a far greater difference to how your bike rides than almost anything else.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the input guys. I took it on some trails today and it did fine. The only thing I think I may change is go to clip less pedals I caught my foot slipping off a few times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's my recommendation. Mine have been going strong all season.

Shimano m530 pedal review

mtbr member
    I'm a Crank Brothers Egg Beater fan, but you can't go wrong with what Grubetown posted either. Get yourself a good pair of shoes too.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    What tires are on there? for an easy improvement, tires are often the easiest way to make an improvement you can really feel. Otherwise I agree, with the others comments.
    Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Innova 2569 is what's on it currently. I've been looking at the Maxxis ardent. I ride all types of terrain from rocky to dirt road mud.