mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New question here. Upgrade suggestions for 2011 cannondale trail sl4?

Whats up MTBR forumers!
    FIRST OFF I WOULD LIKE TO APPOLOGIZE FOR MY FORMATING IN THIS THREAD WAS TYPED RATHER QUICKLY WITHOUT ATTENTION TO DETAIL

This will be my first post here after a considerable time lurking the forums, and it surely wont be my last. Now for the low down, I purchased a 2011 Cannondale Trail SL4 several months ago used from a LBS for $350 and would have to say that i enjoy that bike profusely( was BARELY ridden about 150 miles on her once i purchased it). Although at stock level the bike is great for being a few years old, there are still several downfalls and weaknesses that ive noticed in the first 500 miles off-road. After several hard sessions on some local medium diff single track the front wheel looked bent and didn't track true had a wobble to it so im assuming a wheel upgrade will be one of the first things to change...just not very canny on spending $350 plus on wheels that i wont be using down the road ( keep in mind my sl4 is using the rather obsolete 26inch wheel diameter). Im also not very happy with the pedals, i would like to avoid clipless for now due to my novice riding style putting my feet down to avoid busting my ass etc but the slipping that occurs with climbing is tearing my shins to pieces. This model has the RST Duece 100mm suspension with lockout , Would a 120mm fox front fork really be worth the extra dough even if im planning on upgrading to a full suspension in the next year or two? Its got entry level shimano transmission components i feel like the gears slip constantly while climbing which component needs to be serviced at the lbs or replaced to address gear give out / slippage during climb? Those were all of the main issues my seat post quick release clip is not functioning anymore leaving my seat in nonadjustable mode. I appreciate you guys taking a peak at this short story of mine = p, im open to ANY AND ALL upgrade suggestions that you guys may have for my sl4.

Thank you all!

MTNS

mtbr member
    Post your Trail

This would be a great place to start for ideas. It's what I did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdale Felix View Post
    Post your Trail

This would be a great place to start for ideas. It's what I did.

Great Advice taking a look at other trail sl's was EXTREMELY helpful Cdale much appreciated advice!

mtns

mtbr member
    No problem brother.