mtbr member
    May 2007

upgrade or replace old cannondale 3.0 frame

Newb here, I'm looking for advice on this old MB. I'm thinking it's pushing 20 years old.

It needs brakes/rims/tires/seat/derailer/forks at the least and probably more.

I will be a novice rider and I don't feel the need to spend a HUGE chunk of change on a whole new bike.

What do you think? is it serviceable? what upgrades do you recommend? Money is a big factor, so stick to the less expensive stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 24.jpg (114.7 KB, 347 views)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    New bike........................................Even if you wanted to upgrade something, you may not be able to find the part that fits. For example, if you got a front shock, it would change the geometry of the bike and it would feel different. So, $300 for a reasonable shock and you have a lot more to do.

What is your budget? A CDale F5 is like $600. You could even find some of last years models for less.

What do you want to ride?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    When you say it needs "XYZ" prts, are you saying that because it won;t work without those parts, or is it because you want those parts upgraded? I learned how to ride with one of those frames, and I remember putting one of the first Rock Shox forks on it, even though the frame wasn;t made for front suspension. The thing rode awsome through the technical stuff. I'll probably buy another one, especially if I can find an M500 in white. That's my first MTB that I miss.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I am currently putting all that new stuff in a '91 frame (maybe finished this year )
    But it is soley because the bike has sentimental value and I cannot put her down...
    CDT

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I wish I would have kept my old parts, like the original Sachs New Success deraileurs, Old school purple Ringle hubs built up with Mavic sunset anodized rims. They where hot!! Bunch of other stuff I'll remember.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    is that a big 'ol dent on the chainstay? or is it supposed to be like that?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    is that a big 'ol dent on the chainstay? or is it supposed to be like that?
    Good eyes! It came new with those 'dents' on each side.

FWIW I decided to buy a new bike and keep this one in the garage. The cost of upgrades is

Thanks for the help.

LA CHÈVRE
    The 'dents' are by design, they give the crankarms enough clearance. I would get another bike too, keep this one more as a souvenir/museum thing. I have a hard time getting rid of bikes, any bikes...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :