mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Upgrade plan for Jekyll 400 2004

I want to design an upgrade plan that I can impliment over time to loose some weight and improve performance. The difference in weight between the 400 and the 800 seems significant and the current brakes, for example, are fairly ordinary (Cannondale Fire). I will only be able to do this gradually so I need to prioritise a few big things that will make a significant difference.

I am a conservative rider who races fairly casually in 24hr events, but have ambitions to do some teams of 2 and 3 in the future.

In the immediate future, I need to get some new tyres. Not sure I have the best tyres for my style and confidence, feeling like I slip a bit at speed. Am currently running IRC MythosXC (standard issue) on front and WTB Motoraptor 2.14 on back. Riding conditions are mostly dry clay, granite and loam in the gullies.

Secondly, I have snapped the lockout lever off the Fox Float RL. Apparently this minor repair requires a total overhaul of the shock. This seems like overkill to me?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't think replacing the items you list will have much impact on weight reduction. The biggest culprits on your bike may components such as bars, cranks, pedals, wheels, saddle, seatpost and stem.

If your Jekyll is spec'd the same as the US models, you have disc hubs. This might be a good time to upgrade the brakes. I can recommend the Avid mechanical disc brakes as this would only require you to purchase the calipers/discs at a minimum. If you could add a quality set of levers such as the Avid SD series, that would be even better (don't forget about new cables and quality housings too).

As for tires, that is going to depend on local conditions, but I don't much care for the IRC Mythos XC as a front tire here in SoCal.

As for the rear shock, I don't if being in Australia would prevent you from sending it to PUSH Industries here stateside for an overhaul and custom tuning (and repair of the lever), but that would seem to be killing two birds with one stone and economically at that.

Although these won't help with weight reduction, they will improve performance. It will be the other boat anchor components that will reduce weight. The problem is that it will cost a lot of money to significantly reduce the weight overall. Personally, I would go for performance gains over weight reductions for bang for the buck, but that is up to you. It would likely be cheaper to sell your bike and buy a newer lighter model to begin with than to put your current model on a serious weight reduction plan. JMHO.

Regards,
    Jeff

Are you talking to me?

Jeff is right.

Have the shock rebuilt and PUSHed. They will valve it for you, your weight, your riding style. They will do a bang up job.

www.pushindustries.com

The items to replace for a weight/ performance standpoint are as follows:

Wheels
    brakes
    cockpit items (bar, stem, post,saddle)
    cranks/pedals

You will have a big leap in performance by having the shock pushed. do that first.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Have the shock rebuilt and PUSHed. They will valve it for you, your weight, your riding style. They will do a bang up job.

www.pushindustries.com

The items to replace for a weight/ performance standpoint are as follows:

Wheels
    brakes
    cockpit items (bar, stem, post,saddle)
    cranks/pedals

You will have a big leap in performance by having the shock pushed. do that first.
    Thanks folks,

Performance and weight are indeed two different issues. The plan is really about having some priorities for upgrade as components wear out to meet those two different requirements.

Back to this shock, it is performing very nicely, so I don’t see the point in getting it fully serviced at this stage (costs about AU$300), I just want to fix the lockout lever, or fit a remote, while I am at it. Does it need to be stripped down to do this? Otherwise, I will just keep riding it as is, until it does need a service.

As for wheels, does anyone have any recommendations?

I like my Jekyll, so I think I will hang on to it for the moment.

Are you talking to me?

It is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crikey
    Thanks folks,

Performance and weight are indeed two different issues. The plan is really about having some priorities for upgrade as components wear out to meet those two different requirements.

Back to this shock, it is performing very nicely, so I don’t see the point in getting it fully serviced at this stage (costs about AU$300), I just want to fix the lockout lever, or fit a remote, while I am at it. Does it need to be stripped down to do this? Otherwise, I will just keep riding it as is, until it does need a service.

I like my Jekyll, so I think I will hang on to it for the moment.
    THe shock needs a rebuild. At some point, it is going to spew from the lockout area. If you plan on doing the PUSH mod, keep in mind that they do away with the lockout all together. There is no option to keep it.
    If you are going to ride it, keep a close eye on it, and stay close to the trailhead.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crikey
    It depends on how much money you want to invest in the wheelset. For cheaper wheelset I would go with DT Onyx or Hope XC bubs + DT XR 4.1d / Mavic XC 717 rims and butted spokes. This are very fine components for the price and should last a long time.