mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upgrade my ol' Rush or get a new frame?

Question:
    Should I invest in an updated shock, going from a basic Fox Flow to an RP23, for my frame or go with a new frame entirely? If new, then what full-suspension frame would you suggest for a budget of around $1k?

Background:
    I'm an avid Cat 2 XC racer and I've beaten the ever-living-stuffing out of my 2006 Rush over the past 5 seasons. I mean to say that the bolts and bushings for the shock mounts and the bolts in the stem and seatpost clamp need to be replaced due to corrosion and pitting. The rear shock, a simple Fox Float, is making awful noises and will need to be replaced/upgrade before next season. It's been a great bike, but I'm looking for something more maneuverable in the tight, twisty, and rooted sections that is a typical Southeastern race course feature that can last for miles.

Possible Options:
    I was thinking of getting an RP23 and running it on the firm side (less sag) to keep the headtube angle high (it's already on the lax side of things) and maneuverable in the tight stuff and then flip its switch for full suspension movement on the gnarly descents. That would be my cheapest option by far. The other option is to get something like a Giant Anthem X frame (comes with an RP23) and get an adapter and swap all of my components over, including an adapter for my Lefty.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well I have a Carbon Rush 1 with the RP23 and I love it. I like being able to turn off the pro-pedal for the descents as you say, but I definitely wouldn't like it if I was stuck permanently without.
    Does the Fox Float have any shock platform at all? If not, you'll fall in love with your Rush all over again with an RP23. As you said, it's your cheapest option anyway so I say go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am on a Rush(09), but have the RPL instead of the RP23(same thing minus 1 setting, I think). Very happy with it. Has Propedal, Open and a lockout, what else do you really need?
    I leave mine open all the time, except for the epic climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga
    Well I have a Carbon Rush 1 with the RP23 and I love it. I like being able to turn off the pro-pedal for the descents as you say, but I definitely wouldn't like it if I was stuck permanently without.
    Does the Fox Float have any shock platform at all? If not, you'll fall in love with your Rush all over again with an RP23. As you said, it's your cheapest option anyway so I say go for it.
    I don't know how much of a platform there is with the current Fox Float, but it certainly doesn't seem like much if it does exist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Always been a big fan of the Rush,very capable bike.

The RP23 will certainly enhance the performance of the Rush.You really should have a platform for a single pivot bike and while the Float is a durable shock mine have all been squishy.

You say you beat the hell out your bike so I'm wondering if a shock upgrade will hide all the other issues like frame fatigue and component wear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    Always been a big fan of the Rush,very capable bike.

The RP23 will certainly enhance the performance of the Rush.You really should have a platform for a single pivot bike and while the Float is a durable shock mine have all been squishy.

You say you beat the hell out your bike so I'm wondering if a shock upgrade will hide all the other issues like frame fatigue and component wear.
    Frame fatigue is my only long term concern. It's got a lifetime warranty, but if it cracks in the middle of the season I could be in a tight spot to find a replacement quickly as warranty work is usually slow paced.

The only components original to the bike are the frame, rear shock, seatpost, front derailluer, stem, and Lefty. I thought that was normal wear and tear for 5 seasons of racing and associated off-road training.

I say I beat the hell out of the bike because....well.....I've had to replace so many components and my bike actually looks like its five years old now. I'm blaming it on all those muddy endurance races.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    First get yourself a lefty adaptor. Then ride it until you break it. Get yourself a new frame while you wait for your new Cannondale Rush. Grab a six pack and transfer your stuff over to the new frame overnight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an 07 rush with an RP23 and I run it open but on the firm side. No complaints here, it's a good set-up. However, as you already know the rush isn't as nimble in the twisty sections as say a scalpel would be.... That will not change no matter which shock set up you chose, a rush is a rush. It's hard to beat for the money and your budget. The giant frame would be over $1200 retail.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I too have a Rush 2007 carbon and love it! However, having just moved to the southeast from Utah I find I use my SS 29er about 90% of the time. Not to spam here but I will be parting out the Rush if you need parts...it's a medium. I'll be sad to see it go though, that's for sure.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

mtbr member
    The rush frame is based on the prophet which you can't break. Your riding a 120 all mt/cc frame so I'm sure it will hold up to cc racing. I went from a fox float to a rp23 and it was a really good choice. I also just replaced my lefty max with the pbr 140 and dropped 1 lb and change off my front end and I got a propeddle on my front end now. Really helps for the climbs. I would replace your shock and use thr lefty trade in program to get your new lefty. Also for 60 dollars the lbs can tune the fork to your riding style. Replace the pivit bolt and use the new shock bolts and bushings that come with the new shock. Also check your hubs for bearing wear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How much did you get for your old Lefty on the swap for the PBR? I test rode a Giant Anthem and that thing felt like much different animal than my Rush. I could pop up off the ground much easier and blast through switchbacks easier.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    The rush frame is based on the prophet which you can't break. Your riding a 120 all mt/cc frame so I'm sure it will hold up to cc racing. I went from a fox float to a rp23 and it was a really good choice. I also just replaced my lefty max with the pbr 140 and dropped 1 lb and change off my front end and I got a propeddle on my front end now. Really helps for the climbs. I would replace your shock and use thr lefty trade in program to get your new lefty. Also for 60 dollars the lbs can tune the fork to your riding style. Replace the pivit bolt and use the new shock bolts and bushings that come with the new shock. Also check your hubs for bearing wear.
    \

The PBR Lefty doesn't have "propedal." It has a lockout with a blow-off valve, not really a "platform" like propedal. In other words, I wouldn't ride with my PBR locked out all the time like I do with my propedal engaged all the time. Still a kickass Lefty though and surprisingly fits well on the Rush which I was skeptical at first.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

mtbr member
    I got my lefty for 800 installed and a new headset too. I think the pbr 120 lefty might have been cheaper. With out the lefty for all program thry go for 1100. You can put new seals on your float r for about 25 and sell it for about 100 then use that to help off set the rp23 or rp2 either new or rebuilt. Good luck with your rush. Taking that lb+ of weight off of my front really helped my bike feel more sporty and I can get my front end up way easier. I also went tube less the otherday and I love that too. I'm also getting my fork tuned on thur at my lbs. So my prophet will be all finished.