mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Upgrade Components on Cannondale Catalyst 3?

My wife has a Catalyst 3 and uses it solely for sport riding (local paved and unpaved trails, forest preserve trails, etc).

Night and day difference between my upgraded Giant Trance 2, and hers....of course.

But I was looking at a Trail 2 hardtail for myself now, and even riding that with basic Deore components is a world of difference compared to her. I've been meaning to upgrade her stuff and decided now is a good time to do it as everything is on sale.

With that being said, I wanted to confirm a couple things.

- Will a 2x SLX crankset fit without any issues? What bottom bracket would I need to make the crankset work?

- Will a 2x10 cassette fit in the rear without any issues?

- Is there anything I might be overlooking or something obvious I should know about regarding parts that might not fit correctly?

I'm planning on switching her over to a 2x10, with most likely:

- SLX Shifters and Derailleurs
    - Deore Brakes
    - Deore or SLX crankset and cassette

Any help is appreciated.

**I know once you start upgrading parts you might as well sell the bike and upgrade the bike, but...she rides a Men's small as that fit her best when comparing with all the female versions, and she really likes the color scheme. So, I'll spend a few hundred bucks to make it ride awesome and she'll have a great bike for a long time.
    -

mtbr member
    I just bought one 3x10 and one 2x20 XT groupsets from eBay. $47 each with free postage from China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hmmmm. That is one heck of a deal. Have you gotten them yet? Are they real or knock offs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchesP View Post
    Hmmmm. That is one heck of a deal. Have you gotten them yet? Are they real or knock offs?
    I only bought today so won't be until a couple of weeks before I get them. There is still one of each available so you might want to consider before somebody swipes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks. I think I found it, but not sure if it's worth the risk. In either case, do you mind updating this thread in the future when you get the parts and let me know your thoughts on if the items are legit or fakes?

mtbr member
    Thanks. I think I found it, but not sure if it's worth the risk. In either case, do you mind updating this thread in the future when you get the parts and let me know your thoughts on if the items are legit or fakes?
    I am more worried that perhaps the seller didn't type the decimal point in the correct place, like $470 instead of $47. If they are fakes I will use PayPal to process a refund and because shipping to China will be expensive the seller will suggest me to keep rather than return. Sellers pay return shipping if fake. If these are good then I am happy. Either way I see no significant risk, the risk is more on the seller if these items are not as advertised.

Regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Does anyone have any experience upgrading components on the Catalyst? Anything I should be aware of / look out for?

Interested to know what I need to do about the bottom bracket if I'm upgrading the crank to a 2x10 (say Deore or SLX).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumphryes View Post
    I am more worried that perhaps the seller didn't type the decimal point in the correct place, like $470 instead of $47. If they are fakes I will use PayPal to process a refund and because shipping to China will be expensive the seller will suggest me to keep rather than return. Sellers pay return shipping if fake. If these are good then I am happy. Either way I see no significant risk, the risk is more on the seller if these items are not as advertised.

Regards

Any update on this? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a groupset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joehoek View Post
    Any update on this? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a groupset
    Still in transit. Left Beijing 15days ago and I'm tracking tracking. Not yet arrived on US soil. It's on the slow boat from China

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Still in transit. Left Beijing 15days ago and I'm tracking tracking. Not yet arrived on US soil. It's on the slow boat from China

Cool, thanks for the response! Definitely update us when it arrives!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Please do keep us in the loop on the quality once you get them.

And just to follow-up on this thread, I did upgrade the components on the Catalyst 3, and my wife loves the bike much more now. The components that came on there stock are just good enough to work, but not work well. Specifically, the brakes / shifter / derailleurs needed upgrading for sure.

Upgraded parts on my other bikes, and moved over some stock components from them to the Catalyst. Deore lever shifters and front derailleur, M615 brakes, XT rear derailleur, and SLX cranks with a HG50 cassette. (switched to a 2x10 setup now)

She absolutely loves the shifting and braking now. Even though these are mid-range Shimano parts, they are MUCH better than the low level parts that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    I don't think my eBay purchase is going to end the way I hoped.

This was for one complete 2x10 XT drivetrain for $46 and one complete 3x10 XT drivetrain for $46. Delivery was expected by 08/26/2016 but all the Chinapost tracking info shows as a status is "Departure" or "Shipping".

I have put in a delivery status request for these items and will be upgrading that to a full claim in a couple of days if the seller still has not responded. No response from the seller so far. Then I notice that both sellers have a "o" rating and "0" feedback and no other items listed. Sellers are "id73987bx104-0" and "iudydoznumks5".

So warning, do not purchase from any sellers with "0" rating and "0" feedback no matter how temping the offer looks, especially from China.
    Luckily I am protected as a buyer with the paypal buyer protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Bummer. Sorry to hear about that. Maybe/hopefully it's just stuck in customs.

I try to never order from anyone with 0 feedback or very low sales. You just never know.

mtbr member
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
    I get my money back as per eBay policy
    I wonder what the story with the seller was. Beware, I have spotted several Shimano XT groupsets up on ebay, all for around the same price $46 and all from a seller that has 0 rating and 0 feedback. Its like the seller is re-spawning.

Decision:
    This case has been decided in your favor.

Comments:
    Our records show the seller didn't respond to the case. We're sorry you have a problem with your purchase, and we're issuing you with a refund in this case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you got your money back.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you got your money back.

Yes, eBay refunded no problem. That was never my concern.
    I still think it was worth the risk.
    I have no idea if eBay recovered the $$$

Interesting thing, if you do a search on eBay for "shimano xt group" and put in the price range $40-$50 you will get numerous results all from China. The seller in each case has 0 rating and could be part of the same syndicate or the same person. These are all fraudulent advertisements to scam money from the West. Perhaps this is just the tip on an iceberg! I'd advise eBay should get a hold of this scam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please do keep us in the loop on the quality once you get them.

And just to follow-up on this thread, I did upgrade the components on the Catalyst 3, and my wife loves the bike much more now. The components that came on there stock are just good enough to work, but not work well. Specifically, the brakes / shifter / derailleurs needed upgrading for sure.

Upgraded parts on my other bikes, and moved over some stock components from them to the Catalyst. Deore lever shifters and front derailleur, M615 brakes, XT rear derailleur, and SLX cranks with a HG50 cassette. (switched to a 2x10 setup now)

She absolutely loves the shifting and braking now. Even though these are mid-range Shimano parts, they are MUCH better than the low level parts that came on the bike.
    Cannondale was definitely trying to meet a price point with the Catalyst line. This may not be apparent when you are standing there looking at the bike in the store, but it becomes painfully obvious when you actually ride one. It sounds like you upgraded pretty much everything I would have recommended. I'm sure that you know this already, but nicer wheels can go a long way towards making the bike nicer to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I recently just got into mtbing, i purchased the catlyst 2, to me not ever riding mtb it seemed ok but after a couple weeks on some trails i knew it needed some upgrades. I put some 2.25 wtb trail boss tires on it, upgraded to a shimano zee crankset with 34t and mbr chain guide, zee 10 spd shifter, 10 spd cassette a new stem a pair of flat bars and took a shim out from under stem. What a world of difference! Now a rockshox and wheels and brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Following for more info since my son is outriding his catalyst now. I am upgrading slowly as things break or wear out. It is all part of the learning process both riding and maintenance.

mtbr member
    Man, I just took my Catalyst 4 out on a pretty rocky trail today, and it seemed just fine. I guess when all you've had is box store bikes, low grade bike store seems pretty nice. Lol

If I were to start upgrading, I would go for a 3" tubeless tire/rim first. Then the gearsets next. Thats my main two issues right now, but they're more just minor annoyances.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    You will never get a 3 inch tire on your catalyst, i had 2.4 on front and 2.3 on rear it was ok in dry but any mud would clog up due to barely any clearence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    Man, I just took my Catalyst 4 out on a pretty rocky trail today, and it seemed just fine. I guess when all you've had is box store bikes, low grade bike store seems pretty nice. Lol

If I were to start upgrading, I would go for a 3" tubeless tire/rim first. Then the gearsets next. Thats my main two issues right now, but they're more just minor annoyances.

mtbr member
    Thats good to know. I try to avoid mud, but that would be an issue if I got caught in a downpour in the middle of a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    3 inch wouldnt fit period theres just not enough clearence in the back. I liked my catalyst but since upgrading to the trek remedy 7 i have found my true love.. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    Thats good to know. I try to avoid mud, but that would be an issue if I got caught in a downpour in the middle of a ride.

mtbr member
    I just bought one 3x10 and one 2x20 XT groupsets from eBay. $47 each with free postage from China.

You will not receive them as those are scams. When the (generally China) seller has 0 feedback and a bunch of numbers as a name with silly low prices it is a scam. Sorry.
    Just about anything you want to buy will have the scammers like this on Ebay. They get the money from a bunch of unknowing buyers fast and then close the account.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale16 View Post
    3 inch wouldnt fit period theres just not enough clearence in the back. I liked my catalyst but since upgrading to the trek remedy 7 i have found my true love.. lol
    Really? I would have thought that would be an issue with the front rather than the back.