ceteris paribus

Upgrade Components or Brand new?

I bought a 1997 Cdale 700, about 6 months ago, when I started riding. I ride mostly Cross Country, and I'm interested in having the best uphill preformance, Im not so interested in downhill.About a month ago I replaced the frame for a 2003 CAAD4 hardtail.

But now I've been facing two choices,
    1 to upgrade all the components to deore xt, mavic wheels and a lefty fork (invest around 1500$ during the next year).

Or just to buy a new bike (for about the same 1500$ + whatever I get for my present bike, about a year from now).

Also, should I go for the lefty, or consider the much cheaper Headshock Ultra, or another brand?
    Last edited by xctico; 03-24-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Are you talking to me?

Fairly open question.

Quote Originally Posted by xctico
    I bought a 1997 Cdale 700, about 6 months ago, when I started riding. I ride mostly Cross Country, and I'm interested in having the best uphill preformance, Im not so interested in downhill.About a month ago I replaced the frame for a 2003 CAAD4 hardtail.

1 to upgrade all the components to deore xt, mavic wheels and a lefty fork (invest around 1500$ during the next year).

Or just to buy a new bike (for about the same 1500$ + whatever I get for my present bike, about a year from now).

Also, should I go for the lefty, or consider the much cheaper Headshock Ultra, or another brand?
    How old are the components on it now? To be honest, it really depends on you. You can buy a lot of bike for that kind of $, especially if you are sticking with a HT. However, If you do the upgrades, you will have the bike set up EXACTLY how you want it. Tough call.

I love my Lefty's, but they are very spendy aftermarket. Do not forget, you have to build a new front wheel. You may be able to get a Lefty/Wheel combo used for a good deal. Good luck.
    gfy

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by xctico

Wow, sounds like a serious case of upgradeitis. The one big plus that I see with selling your existing bike and buying a new one is warranty. I assume that the the 2003 frame you got was second hand, and therefore carries no warranty. In the world of mountain biking, a lifetime frame warranty is nice to have. And I'd definitely go with a Lefty over the headshock, or any other fork for that matter. If the Lefty is too spendy, the Fox Forx are a close second in my book.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

ceteris paribus
    I got the frame brand new from the Cdale dealership, so the warranty isn't an issue. It would be sweet to get a used lefty/wheel/brake combo, but since Im planning on changing the whole thing I guess I can get a good deal for a new combo too. But I'll also consider the fox vainilla fork, if there's a huge difference in price[between both options fully setup with wheel and brakes].Thanx for the advice.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For that frame and excellent uphill performance? Id look at the F100X (terralogic) before the Vanilla.