Thread: Upgrade?

mtbr member

New question here. Upgrade?

I am currently doing some upgrades to my 02 jekyll 800. I have done the vro bars and now a more comfortable seat. I am considering upgrading the derailleurs, since you have to use bottom swing and bottom pull fronts the lx,xt, xtr all look the same do they work differently? Also i was thinking of going to xtr in the rear, which of these would be better to upgrade the front or the rear? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oh, i should mention that i found a front xtr online for only 30 dollars, please consider this with any recommendations.

Are you talking to me?

There are those who will say forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Oh, i should mention that i found a front xtr online for only 30 dollars, please consider this with any recommendations.
    Personally, I say do it. The XTR front is a great deal. The difference is in the weight, and the quality of the pivots. Over the long haul, the XTR parts will last longer. The XTR rear der. uses better pivots for the body and bearings instead of bushings for the pulleys. (over XT) The same thing goes for the shifters. The XTR pods use small bearings, (I think. if not, the pivots are smoother than the XT) and are way smoother than anything else from Shimano.That being said, XT is awesome, and the performance between the two is slight, until you start racking up the miles. If you are a rear der. killer, get the XT, because you may break it before it wears out. Me, I insist on the XT level all the way around as a minimum. Be it from Sram or Shimano, or a combo. Make sense?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Yea, i might go for that front xtr, i've been keeping an eye out on ebay for a rear xtr too. Thanks for the advice. If i were smart i'd probably update the weakest link which is the ex3 crankset i have to the new xt with the axle built to the crank.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Yea, i might go for that front xtr, i've been keeping an eye out on ebay for a rear xtr too. Thanks for the advice. If i were smart i'd probably update the weakest link which is the ex3 crankset i have to the new xt with the axle built to the crank.
    Even going to a LX crank would be quite an upgrade over the EX3 crank. And as for the difference in shifter pods that Damion was referring to, XTR uses 4 bearings, XT uses 2 bearings 2 bushings, and LX and lower use all bushings. IMO the biggest difference you can make in your drivetrain is upgrading from LX or Deore to XT or XTR shifters. I've never been able to notice a difference between derailleurs, but can tell a big difference between shifters. And with the switch to the new dual control levers you might be able to pick up a pair of XTR rapid fires for pretty cheap on e-bay.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-13-2004 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Thanks, maybe i'll try to go to xt or xtr shifters. I'll have to look into the crank situation.