Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,800

    Unsolicited but welcome upgrade to my Lefty

    I just had to send in my Lefty Max 130 Carbon/Fox for a severe case of bearing migration. The migration was pretty much a home run to the other side of the world, but the warranty was still good. I just got the Lefty back, and the adjuster is now a Poploc at the crown. Can someone tell me how this differs from the adjustment I had, if at all, pros and cons maybe? I rode it yesterday, and it feels a little firmer yet still plush enough, the adjuster seems to make useful difference between settings, and it tracks well. Help appreciated!

  2. #2
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,862
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I just had to send in my Lefty Max 130 Carbon/Fox for a severe case of bearing migration. The migration was pretty much a home run to the other side of the world, but the warranty was still good. I just got the Lefty back, and the adjuster is now a Poploc at the crown. Can someone tell me how this differs from the adjustment I had, if at all, pros and cons maybe? I rode it yesterday, and it feels a little firmer yet still plush enough, the adjuster seems to make useful difference between settings, and it tracks well. Help appreciated!
    Sounds like they dumped the Fox guts for you, and installed the PBR in it's place. Good call, as the Fox internals broke when you looked at them cross eyed......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  3. #3
    Lefty Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    71
    Wish you had a shop out here in San Diego Mendon!

  4. #4
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,862
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    Wish you had a shop out here in San Diego Mendon!
    FWIW, plenty of San Diegans enjoy my services, it just involves some ship time.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  5. #5
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,189

    I'm one of the san diegans using you

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    FWIW, plenty of San Diegans enjoy my services, it just involves some ship time.
    I have both of my leftys going to you soon, the season ends in oct, also a friend might sent his too( I told him is the only way to fly).

    Is money well spent.

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,862
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    Is money well spent.
    Well thank you
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    Wish you had a shop out here in San Diego Mendon!

    NO!
    His first expansion shop is in the San Fransico Bay area. I already called it.


    To the OP
    Your lefty probably lost 100+gr as an added bonus!!

    I loved the RLC lefty. What did they make them for 1 year? In the long run, the PBR set up is better.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  8. #8
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    NO!
    His first expansion shop is in the San Fransico Bay area. I already called it.
    I could open a Mendon Cyclesmith shop for Canada, get the training from the man!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  9. #9
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,800
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Sounds like they dumped the Fox guts for you, and installed the PBR in it's place. Good call, as the Fox internals broke when you looked at them cross eyed......
    Thanks for the info. What then should I be looking for online to get more information? PBR?

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,862
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    What then should I be looking for online to get more information? PBR?
    What do you need to know?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  11. #11
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,800
    Oh, just general stuff you know, I am naturally curious... And what does what on the dials mainly! I am sure I can figure it out, just at my desk and feeling lazy...

    I do very much appreciate your help Mendon, and hopefully I have repaid your attention by sending a couple of other guys with Leftys in your direction.

  12. #12
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,800
    So I just got off my arse and checked it out with my glasses on, and it does not say poploc, but poptop... duh! Age has its drawbacks. I figured it out. I was wondering where the lockout, (that I hardly ever use anyway), had gone to... now I know...

  13. #13
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,862
    Okay, pretty simple really. Air in the bottom end to suit taste.

    Red knob, turn fully clockwise for fully slow rebound speed, then move out from there to suit taste. More than a rotation or two, and you're fully fast...

    Push the blue button, the red crown pops up, locked. Push the red crown down, unlocked.

    You may notice it blows through if you hit it hard enough, that level is now tunable. Not by you, but when you get it serviced, it can be tweaked internally. You have low speed compression damping that's internally adjustable too, but most folks like the way the feel out of the box.

    That pretty much covers it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  14. #14
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,800
    Thanks mate, appreciate it!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    503
    Mr. Mendon, do you do international servicing too? I'm in the UK. My 29er Lefty PBR is brand new but I want to keep it well looked after and when service time comes around I wondered if people ever ship you work from overseas?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    165
    Jim, why would you do such a daft thing, no disrespect to Mendon, cost wise it would be ridiculous. Especially when Tony @ Thumbprint tuning (& others) offer fantastic service & are more than capable of serving Lefty's within the UK

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    Jim, why would you do such a daft thing, no disrespect to Mendon, cost wise it would be ridiculous. Especially when Tony @ Thumbprint tuning (& others) offer fantastic service & are more than capable of serving Lefty's within the UK
    Actually, I've sent a few things back and forth across the pond recently and postage hasn't been *that* bad. Having said that, if there are well respected Lefty servicers here in the UK that people recommend then so much the better. I asked about lefty servicing where I bought the bike and it really didn't sound like they were too clued up on it at all. I also asked at probably the most respected shock service company in the UK and they started telling me how Lefty's aren't very good (though they do service them)...clearly I'm not going there! Just had a look at thumbprint, though, that looks like a good option, thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Lefty DLR to Lefty FOX Upgrade and/or Conversion?
    By jasonsheep in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
  2. unpaid, unsolicited, unanything product endorsement. (PIC)
    By datenschwanz in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
  3. unsolicited real estate offer way OT should I take it?
    By wagon89 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 11:31 AM
  4. Lefty Max vs. Lefty ELO (upgrade on my Raven)
    By Denis in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •