WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!

Unimpressed with the Jekyll's adjustable geometry.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, but I could do without the adjustable geometry on this thing. I decided to put my bike into full freeride mode (moving the shock forward, dropping the rear end) as I'm doing a lot of Big Bear riding. I knew it dropped the BB height, and figured it'd drop it about .3" given that it was previously in the halfway position and the adjustment range was between 12.9-13.5" of BB height. What I didn't realize was how precious that .3" is.

I adjusted it Thursday night, then went out for some urban riding around UC Irvine (mostly just broncoing stuff) and had a great time. No problems, took a little getting used to the different geometry, as one would expect. Then on Friday eve. went to Whiting Ranch (a local six mile definition-of-average-trail) and had no problems on the climb. The fast fire road descent went okay.

And then I hit the single track...and everything changed. Pedaling through a fairly flat section the right crank impacted the ground on a baby-head sized rock. According to the rider behind me, there was an explosion of sparks (thank goodness ATACs are stout). No damage other than a highly scratched pedal. Thought "okay, it's a little lower, watch out for that". Continued along. Slight right turn, pedaling, accelerating, hit the ground (not even a rock, just rocky ground with a 1" deep texture, tops). bike pivoted to the right, slammed ankle into crank so hard I thought I'd broken it, but just badly bruised. At this point I thought "gee, this thing is really LOW, I really oughta just take it easy until I get home". Final turn. Mellow. Pedaling in corner with very slight lean. Touchdown, left side on smooth flat dirt. Bike goes into left hand drift and I wind up sliding about ten feet to a stop sitting on top of the fallen bike like it was a toboggan.

Needless to say, I think the adjustable geometry sucks , at least if you want to go toward an FR style geom. Did like the slacker head angle though. Measured the BB height and it was 12 1/2" (to the center). CDale claims 12.9" At the midpoint of the geo adjustment it sits at 13 1/8", so I was running it 5/8" lower. I set the shock at the farthest forward position possible, with one whole thread remaining (i.e., I could stick a fingernail between the last thread and the shock).

Just figured I'd post this as a warning and to see if anyone else had a similar experience. The Jekyll's a great bike, but I think I'll leave the geometry alone from now on.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder
    Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, but I could do without the adjustable geometry on this thing. I decided to put my bike into full freeride mode (moving the shock forward, dropping the rear end) as I'm doing a lot of Big Bear riding. I knew it dropped the BB height, and figured it'd drop it about .3" given that it was previously in the halfway position and the adjustment range was between 12.9-13.5" of BB height. What I didn't realize was how precious that .3" is.

I adjusted it Thursday night, then went out for some urban riding around UC Irvine (mostly just broncoing stuff) and had a great time. No problems, took a little getting used to the different geometry, as one would expect. Then on Friday eve. went to Whiting Ranch (a local six mile definition-of-average-trail) and had no problems on the climb. The fast fire road descent went okay.

And then I hit the single track...and everything changed. Pedaling through a fairly flat section the right crank impacted the ground on a baby-head sized rock. According to the rider behind me, there was an explosion of sparks (thank goodness ATACs are stout). No damage other than a highly scratched pedal. Thought "okay, it's a little lower, watch out for that". Continued along. Slight right turn, pedaling, accelerating, hit the ground (not even a rock, just rocky ground with a 1" deep texture, tops). bike pivoted to the right, slammed ankle into crank so hard I thought I'd broken it, but just badly bruised. At this point I thought "gee, this thing is really LOW, I really oughta just take it easy until I get home". Final turn. Mellow. Pedaling in corner with very slight lean. Touchdown, left side on smooth flat dirt. Bike goes into left hand drift and I wind up sliding about ten feet to a stop sitting on top of the fallen bike like it was a toboggan.

Needless to say, I think the adjustable geometry sucks , at least if you want to go toward an FR style geom. Did like the slacker head angle though. Measured the BB height and it was 12 1/2" (to the center). CDale claims 12.9" At the midpoint of the geo adjustment it sits at 13 1/8", so I was running it 5/8" lower. I set the shock at the farthest forward position possible, with one whole thread remaining (i.e., I could stick a fingernail between the last thread and the shock).

Just figured I'd post this as a warning and to see if anyone else had a similar experience. The Jekyll's a great bike, but I think I'll leave the geometry alone from now on.
    Sorry to hear that. I have had the opposite experience. The BB is low, but enough to clear the stuff here (Nevada- Bootleg Canyon =Big Ugly Rocks- no problem).

I think the slack head angle prevents out of the sadle bob on the lefty and lets the bike handle very nicely on steep decents.

I liked the nimble feel when the head angle was steeper, but the slack head angle gives me more confindence flying down hill.

mtbr member
    May 2004

My setup...

I equipped my Jekyll with a travel adjustable fork. Just imagine the possibilities of geometry and ride height plus centre of gravity this can provide. My advice is that to understand your limit as well as your machine's limit is very vital. Jekyll does come with some shortcomings and it seems a bit outdate for some. I still enjoy very much its stability and durability. I always believe that if the frame ever break, it will be the last one to fail for the whole bike.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

Yep...

my experience has been similar to yours, but fortunately I much prefer the Jekyll set in the fully XC position which gives excellent pedal clearance. When I tried it set toward the FR end of things I was also smacking a pedal far too often. 12.5" is OK for a Scalpel (2.7" of rear travel) but not nearly enough for a 5+" travel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815