Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Undisclosed damage. What would you do?

I just bought an '07 Team Scalpel on this site and the seller said it was "perfect". I said, to me, that means no dents, etc. He said nothing further. As I was unpacking the bike, I found two small dents on the underside of the downtube, obviously caused by hitting a rock or something. I hate dents, and would never have bought the bike had I known they were there. I know it's a mountain bike and dents are common, but the fact he said it was "perfect" was misleading. I know if I was selling a bike, my damn conscience wouldn't allow me to slide on something like that. I feel he should take the bike back or refund something to offset the damage done to resale value.I think I paid pretty much top dollar $3100 for the bike, but that was under the assumtion that it was "perfect" Would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Holy mother of God!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What the heck does that mean?

You think I'm being unreasonable or?

"Its All Good"
    rhafe it means that 29Colossus doesnt have the same opinion as you. Of which I am with you, as you stated, it is nto so much the dent, it is the fact that being told a frame or bike is perfect, does not mean there is dents... Saying something is perfect actually means in my book it would be blemish free....

However I struggle to see that 29Colossus would purchase a PERFECT brand new bike with a ding in the down tube like that...

I am with you, I think you have been misled, which sucks the big kumara.... And 3100 USD is nothing to sniff at, thats top dollar for a second hand steed...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thanks Whafe...

for the support. I know the dents won't affect the ride or anything it's just they idea of being deceived, intentionally or not, that irks me. Besides, the bike was dirty when it arrived, which didn't help my mood any.Wouldn't you expect a bike to be clean when you buy it? I don't know, the guy seemed okay, when I talked to him on the phone before. Maybe he just didn't think the dents were worth mentioning....

"Its All Good"
    well that stinks more, a dirty steed.... Me dont care, 3.1K USD and the bike comes dirty irks the fock out of me, feel for ya.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I totally get what you mean, rhafe... this sucks BIG balls......

definitely let the seller know how you feel about it.... if he is remotely decent he will try to at least come to an agreement

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I asked him..

to take the bike back or refund $300 (fair?) to offset the loss of value the dents caused. I'm not sure that's enough, but I could live with that. I dont know if he'll go for either option, but we'll see. Boy, I hate dealing with this kind of thing!

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, now you have his address... Do you have a baseball bat?

Seriously, I'm with you on that one. Unless he never cleaned the bike and it was so dirty that he never saw the dent (yeah right), this guy is clearly dishonest (and I really hate dishonest people). I would let the seller know about the issue, see how he deals with it...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I assume you checked the box to verify the damage was not caused during shipping.

Can you post a link to the original ad?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Definitely not caused in shipping...

The box was intact and the dents were filled with and surrounded by scratches like a rock would cause. The shifter cable was also frayed at the exact same spot like it was pinched at the same time. Here's a link to the ad - note the first sentence of the description.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=13133&cat=all

mtbr member
    Take it to a local Cann dealer and get estimate for a repair in writing. Yeah, this comes down to a new frame minus may be some resale value that LBS can sell the frame for.

Present this to the seller and ask for:

- $$$ for the repair or
    - $$ for the shipping bike back + full refund.

Have this all in written. May be a certified letter as well. Take him to a small court if he gives you any trouble and feel free to invite him to this thread.

Yet another example of a saying "People are generally (good) bad"

This STINKS!!!!

You already know that but this guy registered with mtbr to sell this dented bike!

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=358825 lesson learned hard way and seeing this you need all the luck to get this fixed. Helpfully you have his real name and addr.

Also you can contact post office and file a mail fraud (I have never done that).

How did you pay for it???? Paypal? Contact paypal as well and file a claim.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If he doesn't refund you something...
    at least the dent is small. Put a Fox sticker on there and just forget about it.
    Thats what most of us do when our bike get scratches anyways. As long as structural integrity is not damaged.

Nonetheless, sorry to hear about this.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I would be bummed, and put the ball in his court. Sounds like this may be monday morning quarterbacking at this point, but as a seller, I know that peoples opinions will vary, and I never assume that something I state as great condition, will not meet with every buyers version of that.

That said, if I get a note saying give me $X or I'll send it back, get's my extortion finger itching. However, a note explaining the nature of what they found, how would I like to handle this? All in a civilized manner, leaving it up to me, to either make them happy, or take it back. More often than not, I'd be mortified, and most likely give more than they even wanted, or just take it back to make the whole thing just go away.

But that's just me, Good luck, and yeah, just put a sticker on it if you keep it
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    However I struggle to see that 29Colossus would purchase a PERFECT brand new bike with a ding in the down tube like that...
    I'm afraid your assumptions are incorrect. It is amazing the ideas that come from 4 words.

I HATE dents. I would have the bike in the Escalade, and I would be travelling to the seller's residence right now. I would leave with NOTHING short of a FULL refund including shipping.

I also HATE liars. That is what you have here. A LIAR. I can't stand that crap. Dented bike. Lies. It is enough to make my head spin with the dangerous possibilities of jail time and broken bones.

Hence the.....

Holy mother of God!

I would be very angry and would succeed at getting nothing done until I had total satisfaction one way or the other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    All in a civilized manner, leaving it up to me, to either make them happy, or take it back.
    You are not quite serious? I am assuming you are not as you do not ship dented frames as in this case? This guys can care less about civilized manners IMO. He knew he is going to screw the buyer!

But yes, in general I am all for civilized manners. ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe he just didn't know it was there. How long has it been since you contacted him? Don't tell me you brought it here before you tried to settle it in private. Maybe it is you who is being unreasonable.

Personally, I really don't think that dent is worth $300. Maybe $100.

I just bought a Rush. I got a great deal in it(07 Rush 3Z for $1100 Shipped), and it came in a little dirty. It didn't bother me. With the energy you have wasted on here complaining about it you could have cleaned it already.

Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    You are not quite serious? I am assuming you are not as you do not ship dented frames as in this case? This guys can care less about civilized manners IMO. He knew he is going to screw the buyer!

But yes, in general I am all for civilized manners. ;-)

I was serious. But, in interest of clarification, if I were to sell/ship a dented frame, I'd certainly indicate any known damage. That said, I have sent out bikes before, only to have the buyer contact me, upset that bolts had surface rust, chains were not clean, drivetrain had wear, etc, etc, etc. They bought a used bike, certain things should be assumed in those cases. I am not attempting to have any knowledge of this particular situation, but even then, I would allow the seller a first attempt to make it right at their discretion. If I were they, I'd be shocked that I hadn't seen the damage, and knock a quick several hundred off, quite possibly more than the requested amount. Just let guilt do the banking for you, that's all, tell them how much you want, to be happy, and you'll never get a dime more! Again, the possibility of a full refund and return, is always in the background as far as I'm concerned....

Hurray for civility, it makes the world a much easier place to live

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96Z
    How long has it been since you contacted him? Don't tell me you brought it here before you tried to settle it in private. Maybe it is you who is being unreasonable. With the energy you have wasted on here complaining about it you could have cleaned it already.
    You don't have a very successful day, do you? Who or what made you so mad? Just tell us...we are trained professionals and can help you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I had a similar problem with a bike I bought a while back. The seller didin't do a good job packing it,and the rear wheel dug into the frame,causing horrible,very noticeable damage. I email the guy,asking why he didn't pack the bike right, and asking for a partial credit. The guy replied that the was mortified,and promptly paid up.You do get more bees with honey,so give that a try first.-Danny

banned
    With the energy you have wasted on here complaining about it you could have cleaned it already.
    Cleaned it?

Cleaned the dent?

Does Simple Green remove dents?

NO. IT DOESN'T.

Please pay attention. The "PERFECT CONDITION" bike has a nice DENT in the downtube.

So maybe you think it is a, "perfect dent"? I guess it doesn't matter. He can just clean the dent away.

Nice thinkin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Cleaned it?

Cleaned the dent?

Does Simple Green remove dents?

NO. IT DOESN'T.

Please pay attention. The "PERFECT CONDITION" bike has a nice DENT in the downtube.

So maybe you think it is a, "perfect dent"? I guess it doesn't matter. He can just clean the dent away.

Nice thinkin'.

Why don't you read the whole post...

RHAFE said "Besides, the bike was dirty when it arrived, which didn't help my mood any.Wouldn't you expect a bike to be clean when you buy it?"

Thats what I was talking about.

banned
    Why don't you read the whole post...

RHAFE said "Besides, the bike was dirty when it arrived, which didn't help my mood any.Wouldn't you expect a bike to be clean when you buy it?"

Thats what I was talking about.
    The PROBLEM is the DENT!

The dirt is not the problem. READ IT. You are not right. This is NOT rocket science. The PERFECT CONDITION bike was NOT perfect. It has a big DENT in it.

Dirt? Cleaning? Jeeeessssus. Ridiculous.

We are focused on the dent here, not the dirt OK. The DENT is the issue, OK? Not the dirt. The dirt didn't help his mood, and it can be cleaned at ANY TIME. The DENT is the actual PROBLEM here, OK? The dent can't be cleaned up.

Stop trying to obfuscate the issue here. You can't do it. I am a pro, OK. You are not a pro, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    The guy replied that he was mortified,and promptly paid up.
    My point exactly, most people in general, and an even larger percentage of cyclists, really just want to get by in the world, not try to be jerks.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I am a pro, OK. You are not a pro, OK?
    Cool, that's been settled at least.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast