mtbr member
    Jun 2007

The ultimate Cannondale hard tail ??

Advice on this one would be appreciated.

I'm looking to buy a decent Cannondale hard tail but by the looks of things on the Cannodale website they are moving away from hard tails in a big way.

The majority of riding I do is back country with the odd mountain bike race thrown in.

Thanks in advance

I like to ride my bike.
    What price range are you looking at?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Im probably wanting to get the top of the range hard tail or in the region of $1500

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

$1500

For a frame or complete bike?

mtbr member
    you can not get an "ultimate" hard tail from anyone for $1500.

Full XTR components will cost $1500 alone, not including frame, fork, wheels, bars etc. etc.

The ultimate hard tail by cannondale is the taurine team.... but its a lot more money then you are talking

The caffeine is the best hard tail in your price range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by haydens
    Advice on this one would be appreciated.

I'm looking to buy a decent Cannondale hard tail but by the looks of things on the Cannodale website they are moving away from hard tails in a big way.

I don't get that vibe from Cannondale at all. Yes, they do have quite a few complete suspended bikes, but the F4/Caffeine/Taurine and now the 29ers are all hardtails.

IMHO, that's a mainstay for a company like C-Dale, whether it's for XC/recreation or competition, I think they'd do well to remain in that segment.

However, I do think there are too many fully suspended bikes with to little differentiating them, not just from C-Dale, but from many other makers.

mtbr member
    I think the Caffeine 29er is a great bike and I would buy one if I have the money, but the best way to go is really the taurine if you can. I think C-dale hardtails are great and the lefty will be the only shock you need. I never tried a headshox but I know guys who are happy with it.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

BDB
    I bought an 06 F600 (new) in Feb and it's been an awesome bike, it's much better than my 01 trek 6700 (upgraded even). My bike does have the headshock and I don't think there is another suspension system that tracks this staight. It's not super plus but it holds its line like no other. Some of the components are not the greatest like the wheelset, I my trusty Rhyno lite wheelset on it and it rides better. (no flex in the wheels with my weight) All the other Sram stuff I've grown to like after being a Shimano user for so long. The best part is the frame, it's the best riding (aluminum) frame I've ever used. It even looks sweet!

Here's my updates/changes:
    WTB seat, Rhyno lite/deore disc 525 wheelset, Maxxis Advantage tires (2.1). With this set-up it carries my aggressive 6'2 215lbs around great!

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys the input is great !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Something based on a CAAD5 or Optimo frameset, with an Ultra Fatty fork would be a great starting point.

Wheelset, brakes and drivetrain will probably depend on what's available on a second-hand bike in your price range. Important thing to note; don't get CODA hydraulic disc brakes; they are rubbish and will leak and/or fail, it's only a matter of time as to when.

In the second hand market I would try to shoot for the following as minimum targets for an "ultimate" in the $1500 category. i.e. what was "ultimate" around the same era the frame was made:

* as little CODA stuff as possible (CODA hubs were great -- OEM Hugi 240s -- but had weird 4-bolt disc rotor attachments. Their disc brakes were junk, (most) cranksets were made of cheese, and posts/bars were heavy)
    * early-00's XT or XTR drivetrain (or a mix)
    * Hayes Mag or Avid Juicy 7 (preferable) brakes
    * Crossmax wheels, or a traditional built wheel with double-butted spokes and DT240/Hugi 240 hubs.

This would end up with a top of the line Cannondale hardtail, "Volvo" era.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys ! Info is great

If I was to increase this budget to $2500 what would you suggest ?

Spooooon!
    Skip the 26" hardtails and go right for the F29. I rode one after I purchased a different hardtail . . . would have changed my decision if I did it the other way. if you want to increase the budget, wait until the new models are introduced in a few weeks and get the higher end F29 that is rumored.

Masher
    Give C'Dale a little time to get their 29'er lineup out for '08 and then you will be able to make a better decision. At 2500 the F1 is going to be the best C'Dale bike you can afford in hardtail. The problems with the '07 29er are well known so I would stay away from it only becasue the '08 lineup is supposed to address these problems.

I, like you, will be buying a new horse very soon but I am going to wait for the '08 29er specs to be released before I make a decision.

I do think if you are set on a hardtail you should seriously consider a 29er.

Good Luck!

Huge Tracts of Land
    I certainly believe that C'Dale make the best hardtails

My trusty 1997 Red, and my 2005 Silver, I had betrayed them both and got a Carbon Rush, but still ride them both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Give C'Dale a little time to get their 29'er lineup out for '08 and then you will be able to make a better decision. At 2500 the F1 is going to be the best C'Dale bike you can afford in hardtail. The problems with the '07 29er are well known so I would stay away from it only becasue the '08 lineup is supposed to address these problems.

I, like you, will be buying a new horse very soon but I am going to wait for the '08 29er specs to be released before I make a decision.

I do think if you are set on a hardtail you should seriously consider a 29er.

Good Luck!
    I test rode one yesterday, and might buy one. What are the known problems of the 29er?

Cannondale Snob
    In Medium frame size, the 29ers have a too-short top tube. This allows the toes of your feet to hit the back of the front tire when your foot is forwards and the handlebars are turned. This problem does not occur on the larger frames.

I don't know what other problems their F29 has, but it was that sole feature that kept me from buying one. I ended up with a '06 Rush 1000 and then also a '02 F600, so it wasn't a real loss!

If you're a tall guy, the 29er is probably the way to go.

When it comes to hard-tail frames, my requirement (pet peve, if you will), is split seat-stays. I can't stand the "down-pipe connected to U-shape" arrangement. The Furio-Frame (CAAD5 I believe) is perfectly acceptable and very stiff.

I've bought my bikes off Craigslist, EBay, and a local mountain-biking forum. They've all been in excellent condition with little use and at terrific savings. The only thing I miss out on is the lifetime frame warranty Cannondale offers on new bike purchases
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Get the serial numbers on every used bike you're considering buying to make sure it isn't stolen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the info - I'm going for a large, so it should fit fine. The bike felt right to me, so I might go for it.