Thread: UK Scalpel woes

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

UK Scalpel woes

mbr (Mountain Bike Rider) magazinr arrived this morning - probably the most serious mag here in the UK.

They tested the nre Scalpel. Whilst on a downhill section, the chainstays came apart, and the back wheel locked up, with the rider going over the bars - could have been fatal.

They gave it 3/10, thus killing off any UK sales, I would imagine. It doesn't seem like this is a minor small batch problem ?

LJJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I can't beleive this! Are you sure they were not using one of the Recalled frames???

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow, seriously not good!
    But since it is out in print they must have done the test some time ago, probably even before the recall.
    Imagine sending out a defective bike to a magazine for review!

mtbr member
    Wow, did they say the date of the actual test ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If it really proves true that it was a revised bike (after recall), I would probably cancel my open purchase order of a new Scalpel 1. However, if it turns out that it was one of the initial models, then I would care not too much about it.

LA CH»VRE
    If you know how magazines work, it's almost impossible that it was a bike from after the recall. The time to get a bike, have riders ride it, collect their thoughts, digest all that into a text, send to approval, print, ship and distribute the magazine... it takes a lot of time, often months.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    really? i thought it was just how much the company paid the magazine to post a good review!

Cannondale must be one of their outstanding accounts.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    MBR the most serious? I can't take them seriously.

I understand that the same test bikes usually get carted from one magazine to another. I don't know if that's directly, or whether they go back to the Cannondale distributor in-between? Magazines are put together well before they are published so my guess is that it's a pre-recall model.

Glad no-one was seriously hurt.

Cannondale have had a real spate of recalls recently. It doesn't look good.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Cannondale has previously to this been given a fairly easy ride with mbr, I agree with wellmt, never take mbr seriously, there reviews are extraordinarily in accurate and once they have picked the bike they like the make all the other bike in the test look bad by dwelling in bad parts of a bike to make their choice look better.

Saying it brakes may well kill UK sales but most riders I know in the UK like mbr but donít trust the tests.

This may surprise some of you but some of the UK mags actually intentionally try to brake bikes to see how long they will last, Iíve read it, Iíve seen it, Iíve heard it from other riders.

If you want a more truthful and accurate review of bikes I suggest you look at What Mountain Bike magazine as having rode some of the bikes myself they test I feel they are more in tune with what the bike actually feel like, they look more at the ride rather than the kit and use allot more reviewers to achieve a better spread of reactions to the from which to write a good review.

I have heard of non recall Scalpels braking in the UK myself, these things are ridiculously week.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "mbr (Mountain Bike Rider) magazinr arrived this morning - probably the most serious mag here in the UK."

You are having a laugh? The most serious mag in the UK?

Give me strength!!

However, really bad press for Cannondale which will only compound their terrible service in the UK.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteimpreza
    "mbr (Mountain Bike Rider) magazinr arrived this morning - probably the most serious mag here in the UK."

You are having a laugh? The most serious mag in the UK?

Give me strength!!

However, really bad press for Cannondale which will only compound their terrible service in the UK.

I subscribe to mbr & What MTB - they both have their pluses & minuses. I believe it was a 1st batch frame. Cannondale are sending them another frame. Both mbr & What MTB have recently given good reviews to the Rush 4 and Prophets.

Whether or not a 1st batch frame, it will still kill off UK sales, IMHO.

LJJ